Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

How much info do i put in the ARTC ?

How much info do i put in the ARTC ?

Old Dec 28th 2006, 9:34 pm
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light
Default How much info do i put in the ARTC ?

How much info do i need to put in the ARTC application.
Iv just recieved the form and i am planning on writing down every single thing i have done over the past two weeks of work. Down to every screwdriver and tool i have used.
I work as a maintenance electrician at the moment but also have done vast amounts of domestic work so i plan to write the full process of a domestic rewire including testing, again listing all tools/meters used.
Am i just going to far, is more better than less? Its gona be a lot of writing but i get the impression this is what they want?
Advice would be nice from anyone thats done it.
Thanks
Stu
Old Dec 28th 2006, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much info do i put in the ARTC ?

Originally Posted by stu:0
Iv just recieved the form and i am planning on writing down every single thing i have done over the past two weeks of work. Down to every screwdriver and tool i have used.
I work as a maintenance electrician at the moment but also have done vast amounts of domestic work so i plan to write the full process of a domestic rewire including testing, again listing all tools/meters used.
Am i just going to far, is more better than less? Its gona be a lot of writing but i get the impression this is what they want?
Thanks
Stu

Stu, I just put down exactly the same as I did for the TRA application, only difference being, that I also sent an up to date reference saying that hubby was still doing the same job for the past year since applying for the pre-migration check.

Make sure you put something along the lines of re-wiring machinery or any building maintenance (CCTV, alarms etc) so you get the mechanic cert.
Old Dec 28th 2006, 10:02 pm
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Wendy
Stu, I just put down exactly the same as I did for the TRA application, only difference being, that I also sent an up to date reference saying that hubby was still doing the same job for the past year since applying for the pre-migration check.

Make sure you put something along the lines of re-wiring machinery or any building maintenance (CCTV, alarms etc) so you get the mechanic cert.
Hi Wendy,
IV not done a TRA as im going with my girlfriend under her sponsorship thats why i want to get it right first time! Visa's coming any time!
My idea is if i can get as much put in the ARTC as i can it will cut down on the amount of training they will make me do when i get there.
Iv got loads of certificates to go with it aswell.
Is it worth putting in about other training i have done, iv cerificates on courses iv done for all sorts i.e welding, boiler work, fitting. I know they arnt specific to the trade but is it worth putting a note in about them?
Stu
Old Dec 29th 2006, 4:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Wendy,
IV not done a TRA as im going with my girlfriend under her sponsorship thats why i want to get it right first time! Visa's coming any time!
My idea is if i can get as much put in the ARTC as i can it will cut down on the amount of training they will make me do when i get there.
Iv got loads of certificates to go with it aswell.
Is it worth putting in about other training i have done, iv cerificates on courses iv done for all sorts i.e welding, boiler work, fitting. I know they arnt specific to the trade but is it worth putting a note in about them?
Stu
Ah, I see.

Well in that case then put as much info in as you can, you sound like you have the right idea from your first post. I'd keep it specific to Electrical work though.
Old Dec 29th 2006, 6:17 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Stu

if you email me i`ll send you a copy of my answers to q7

regards steve
Old Jan 6th 2007, 1:11 am
Can't happen quick enough

David and Lynsey will become famous soon enoughDavid and Lynsey will become famous soon enough

Steve-o
Just filling in the ARTC form from this side- do you put your apprenticeship in Q8- other trade training, or is it just covered in any descripton you write in Q11? For the TRA assessment for migration there was a section for your apprenticeship-thus leading to the confusion
Cheers
David
Old Jan 8th 2007, 3:25 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

i used this section for the additional training that i`d done over and above the apprenticeship

ie i have a c&g 240 in electrical design / testing
Old Jan 8th 2007, 7:59 pm
Can't happen quick enough

David and Lynsey will become famous soon enoughDavid and Lynsey will become famous soon enough

Cheers Steve-o
I've got C&G 16th edition(x2) so I guess I put that in Q8?
David
Old Jan 11th 2007, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Brigall is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: How much info do i put in the ARTC ?

Hi, I would keep your info specfic to Electrical work, mention about test equipment used and various tools used. I also mentioned briefly what i was looking for with each piece of test equipment.
Best of luck
Brian
Old Jan 16th 2007, 7:12 pm
Worongary

Originally Posted by Brigall
Hi, I would keep your info specfic to Electrical work, mention about test equipment used and various tools used. I also mentioned briefly what i was looking for with each piece of test equipment.
Best of luck
Brian

good advise mate

heres a copy of my answer ( minus the piccies due to upload restrictions )

Copy of document sent to TRA

7 Occupational experiences

Since qualifying as an approved electrician my work has consisted of the wiring or repair of electrical installations from the start to finish for various clients.
The start being the client’s / employers instruction, drawings and or specification, and the finish being the handing over of the installation complete with the relevant certification,
I would say that I now spend about one day per week on paperwork consisting of estimating, filling in certificates or working on as fitted drawings as well as four or five days working on site dependant on the current work load

My personal tool kit consists of screwdrivers, side cutters, pliers. gland pliers, tape measures
String lines, laser level, set square, micc termination tools ( potters & crimpers ), hole saws, hack saws, hammer, 18v battery drill & reciprocating saw, 24volt percussion drill, 110v transformers, 110v drills standard and percussion, 110v circular saw 110volt extension leads - splitter boxes, Ladders and step ladders.

Every day materials I use consists of MIC, SWA, FP200, Twin & earth, SY & SYA and Cat 5 cables, Distribution boards both TPN & SPN, TPN Panel boards, Fire alarm panels, Emergency Lighting battery banks, Galvanized & PVC trunking in various sizes, galvanized tray and baskets in various sizes, Metal and PVC conduits conduit boxes and accessories, sockets, isolators, switches, fire alarm interfaces and monitoring devices.

As an example of the kind of work that I regularly undertake
I have enclosed part of a wiring specification, drawings and some pictures taken during the rewire of a large warehouse; working from the specification I installed Main distribution board reference DB0A and its associated sub circuits as follows

a) order the panel board complete with all relevant accessories MCCB`s / blanks etc
b) measure up for and order both the trunking and traywork complete with associated brackets and fixings
c) fix panel board to the wall with rawbolts
d) measure up, cut and fix the trunking
e) measure up, cut and fix the traywork
f) measure up, cut and fix the incoming supply cables
g) terminate incoming supply cables to the main switch with crimped lugs
h) The outgoing sub circuits ( in this case SWA submains ) where pulled in,
tie-rapped into position, glanded off and terminated with crimped lugs

i) The following tests were then carried out before the circuits were energised
Visual inspections to make sure that the cables were terminated correctly and that there was no visible damage to the conductors
R1 & R2 resistance measured in ohms to prove circuit polarity and earth continuity Insulation resistance measured in Meg ohms between phases, neutral & earth,
j) The circuits were then energised and tested for
earth loop resistance measured in ohms
fault current measured in K-Amps these prove that protective device can
operate within the parameters set down in the wiring regulation BS7671

This is me fitting the trunking and parallel supply cables from the bus bar chamber to the new TPN panel board

Piccies removed ( we are on dial up )

The traywork and sub mains start to go in

And the Panel board near completion

i also included the site drawings copies of test results (signed by myself)
a copy of the work specification

hope its helps

regards steve
Old Jan 16th 2007, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

Brigall is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent information Steve'o. I also mentioned all hand tools used, drills chop sdaw's, level's plumb line's.
Meggars, earth loop impedance testers, RCD testers, continuity testers. Working from electrical schematic drawings while fault finding on electrical equipment.

Best of Luck

Brian