Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

This is how it goes with WA electrical licensing as of today

This is how it goes with WA electrical licensing as of today

Old May 11th 2012, 9:55 am
yorkshire born & bred

warren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to all
Default Re: This is how it goes with WA electrical licensing as of today

Hi Woody

good advice mate,

This is just the way i did it 3 years ago,
check out my post WA licence in 3 months so easy.
Warren
Old May 14th 2012, 11:06 am
Just Joined

Cimek is an unknown quantity at this point

Warren
I read your post when was still in London and did it from scratch following your experience. You are the promotor, my advise is just the update to current situation.
I didn't say it earlier so I do it now
Cheers Mate!
Old May 14th 2012, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

biggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to all

Cimek,
Did you get a job ok with your license? Just wondering with it not stating fitter or mechanic
Old May 14th 2012, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

The job market is not as colorful as it's said everywhere around. For first three weeks after got licence I've sent about 80 answers with CV and cover letter to employment adverts. Had a few calls from agencies and few interviews, but nothing promising. Than suddenly got offer from solar system fitting company and working with them since a few weeks. Lecence is fine, nobody asks if it's mechanic or fitter, as soon as they see silver A-grade card they say "that's it".
Old May 15th 2012, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

biggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to all

That's great news, hope I can get on the course quickly when we arrive in September.
I suppose on the job front you start building up contacts again and listening out for what jobs are starting and where at. Your up and running now, Good luck!
Old May 16th 2012, 10:33 am
Just Joined

walshsean is an unknown quantity at this point

The easiest way is through South Australia.
At this stage I have 3 state licenses.
I got my TRA, booked into PEER in Aidelaide, filled out a large workbook ( which the course holder didnt even ask for ), then sat the exam. The course holder left the room for about an hour so all the class assisted each other to complete.

Then once passed. I went to the electrical licensing place the same day with my TRA cert and PEER cert, paid $300, then after 2 weeks got my license.

Then using that license, I got my A grade WA license through mutual recognition. No problems. Queensland is the tricky one. But I got it by persistance, insisting that they respect the laws of mutual recognition.
I got that one two.

Once you have WA or Queensland license, you can get any one.
Old May 16th 2012, 11:11 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Then using that license, I got my A grade WA license through mutual recognition.
How long ago was this? I also have my NSW one through the mutual recognition but a few others states are not doing this.
Old May 17th 2012, 9:29 am
Just Joined

walshsean is an unknown quantity at this point

This was midway through last year. The legislation states that they must recognise other state licenses. I had to get pushy with Queensland and I got it.

Also in the legislation, it allows any electrical worker who holds a state license to work in any state.

Mine sites insist on the state ticket to work in it.
Old May 17th 2012, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

australia_bound is an unknown quantity at this point

This cracks me up, i have just read a post by someone on the PIO forum posted in april of this year saying that you can not transfer the SA license to any other state. I'm sitting the peer course on the 28th of may and as soon as i get my SA license i'll be applying for my WA license, and i will put a stop to all these conflicting answers!!!!
Old May 18th 2012, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

weegogs is just really niceweegogs is just really niceweegogs is just really niceweegogs is just really niceweegogs is just really niceweegogs is just really niceweegogs is just really niceweegogs is just really niceweegogs is just really nice

Originally Posted by australia_bound
This cracks me up, i have just read a post by someone on the PIO forum posted in april of this year saying that you can not transfer the SA license to any other state. I'm sitting the peer course on the 28th of may and as soon as i get my SA license i'll be applying for my WA license, and i will put a stop to all these conflicting answers!!!!
hi australia bound

we have a guy at work who has been working here for about 10 months in qld with his sa licence under the mutual agreement arrangement, however he wanted to get a qld licence as this contract is nearing an end and a lot of firms he's applying to are stipulating you must have a qld licence, so he sent in a copy of his sa licence, form 11 and a statutory declaration to qld licencing , he got a reply yesterday from Owen Pezet to say he had to send in a copy of his artc from tra and proof of training or he may have to do gap training so he called Owen at qld licencing today to clarify the position, he was told if he sends in a copy of his artc ad a copy of his certificate from peer proving he has completed the as/nz3000 course he will be issued a qld licence, sorry its a bit long winded but i hope this clears things up for you

weegogs
Old May 18th 2012, 6:00 am
Just Joined

thats a great peace of mind weegogs, thanks for the reply. here's hoping WA is the same.
Old May 18th 2012, 6:29 am
Just Joined

Just of the phone to Energy Safe Western Australia and the girl there told me under mutual agreement they will issue a WA license for the SA license. Sorted.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

elect42 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Cimek
I want to share my experience. Just finished ETL course for A-grade licence at Polytechnic West / Balga Campus - Vetassess way.

I walked to Energy Safety in person, with all relevant papers, next day after arrived in Perth. They copied my OTSR, scanned passport and gave me proper form to fill (there is 2 of them, depends which way you are going), then I paid by credit card 109$. They said, they will send the answer within 4 weeks. I called them every week to be sure everything's fine, but as nothing came by then I visited them again. They checked my docs with me in the system and found that one page of OTSR is missing. I could wait in vain for ever, they simply didn't bothered to inform me about it. I emailed missing page same day and a few days later they called me that docs are ready for me to collect.
My advise at this stage: don't leave it with them and trust everything's fine, keep checking it yourself.

In envelope I found Electrical Worker's Permit, valid for 12 months which allowi me to work legally under supervision plus eligibility to enrol to ETL 80 hours course plus list of 4 places I can attend, with contact numbers to responsible for it persons. I called all of them and was lucky to find vacancy at soonest starting one – Polytechnic West / Balga Campus. I paid them a visit same day with letter from Energy Safety, paid 211$ for subsided ( if you have PR visa) course and bought PDF version of books(AS3000 and AS 3008) from their library. They also printed it out and bind for me for 57$ altogether. Another two books: “Design and Install” and “Inspecting and Testing” I got for free when started course.

Course schedule:
Day 1: Ohm's law, parallel circuits
Day 2: First Aid, CPR, Determining cable type and size.
Day 3: Maximum Demand, Voltage Drop
Day 4: Installation's assembly, 2h of theory, 6 hours practise.
Day 5: Motor starting (contactors, star/delta), transformers, different types of lights, mercury, sodium etc. At the end of the day they gave us portfolio to be done over weekend – typical house plan, you have to count appliances, calculate maximum demand, voltage drop, match cables, CBs and design Consumer Unit.
Day 6: Isolation, Testing Equipment , testing installation on dummy boards – theory/practise
Day 7: Performing installation followed by the plan and testing it.
Day 8: Portfolio collection and discussing problems, revision, written multiple choice test, insulation procedures test.
Day 9: Practical exam: Assembling own installation by plan, testing it, testing equipment.
Day 10: Re-exam. If you failed on something before, you can do it again, still within the course.

Everything what is on the exam was earlier on the course. If you carefully listen to tutors you should have no problem with passing the exam. Half of the group passed everything by Thursday, other half came ones more Friday and had to redo only parts they failed first time. After 2 hours everyone was happy.

Course is very well organised, tutors, even if demanding, very nice and helpful. Australian rules are similar to those in UK, but there are still some differences and different practises of doing some things, so it's good to know it before you start working here anyway. That's basically what is this course about.

I was told they will inform ES about results monday, it takes another few days for ES to revise it and someday at the end of next week I can expect call from ES to collect my Licence.
If it's true I will get my A-Grade in 7 weeks since arrive in OZ.

I have applied for restricted license which I have received today through the Vetassess way after reading this but also applied for ARTC but didnt wait for it, Vetasses route from energy safe says on my approval letter to complete gap training within 18 months and contact michelle in balcatta to arrange this, slightly concerned that this is the dreaded Gap training we have been harping on about and not the actual ETL two week course. I tried to phone her straight away but closed.

If I am going to be restricted for a length on time while I gain gap training onsite which it is quite hard to get work restricted this will end up sending us back to UK as I will not be able to support my family being restricted. Most companies are not interested in restricted in Perth. I am working casual and have managed a few weeks work but most of the guys on job told me I will find it hard without the A license as companies are usingA class rather than the hassle with restricted.
I will be phoning first thing tomorrow.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

I see it's many confusing answers here but this way worked for me, I am working for 3 months and soon will be thinking about another licence. Try to contact someone at Balga, it might be that Mishelle from Balcatta is giving misleading information.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

daluk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,

Pls can someone help???
It has been so confusing to get it straight as to what is required!
The Mrs is applying for permanent residency so what do i do? Vetass comes up again and again,...TSA seems to point me there as no one is prepared to give me straight answers.

I would like to get a WA electricians license, I mainly do domestic and some office, retail & commercial work in the uk.

Pls could someone help?
I am i perth only till tuesday and would like to know what i need to do before i leave .
Also if someone could give me the address for the TSA poffice it would me much appreciated. I called their no but they said that there was no one that could see me as they were a call center???

Look forward to being put on the right track.

Thanks
Dal