Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Hi. Heading to Aus soon! any help much appreciated?!

Hi. Heading to Aus soon! any help much appreciated?!

Old Jun 1st 2008, 12:41 am
Just Joined

Movingonup is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Hi. Heading to Aus soon! any help much appreciated?!

Hi seems like a good bunch of people here so ill give it ago...

Im 23 heading to Aus with my girlfriend on a years working visa in November and I was wondering on the requirments/ ease to get sparky work out there

Ive been in the trade for 7 years and Im comfortable with domestic/commercial/ standard industrial installations + testing and inspection. Qualified to 2330 level 3

I keep hearing various things and its abit confusing, some are saying any qualifications level 3 and above + with my experience ill be fine and be able to get work no problem but looking at the forums theres alot about licenses etc.

What im wondering if anybody is kind enough to answer is are these licenses more for people wanting to go self employed and or set up business or does every employee need to possess one aswell?

If anybody has any information or can share personal experience with finding work ill be very grateful

Also I will hopefully be looking to find sponsorship or some other avenue of staying permanently if anybody has any information/ tips on going about that itd be awesome too.

Thankyou
Old Jun 1st 2008, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

docgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nice
Default Re: Hi. Heading to Aus soon! any help much appreciated?!

Originally Posted by Movingonup

Im 23 heading to Aus with my girlfriend on a years working visa in November and I was wondering on the requirments/ ease to get sparky work out there

Ive been in the trade for 7 years and Im comfortable with domestic/commercial/ standard industrial installations + testing and inspection. Qualified to 2330 level 3

I keep hearing various things and its abit confusing, some are saying any qualifications level 3 and above + with my experience ill be fine and be able to get work no problem but looking at the forums theres alot about licenses etc.

What im wondering if anybody is kind enough to answer is are these licenses more for people wanting to go self employed and or set up business or does every employee need to possess one aswell?

If anybody has any information or can share personal experience with finding work ill be very grateful

Also I will hopefully be looking to find sponsorship or some other avenue of staying permanently if anybody has any information/ tips on going about that itd be awesome too.

Thankyou
Welcome to BE

As for working in Australiaas an electrician you will need an electrical licence, for each area of Australia there is a different way of obtaining one

The best thing to do is look on the other threads for which licence you require and where to obtain it.

Wendy has a lot of information posted on here already so read these first

good luck

doc
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 6:47 am
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Hi. Heading to Aus soon! any help much appreciated?!

Originally Posted by Movingonup

Thankyou
Hi mate, all sparkys need a licence. You would need your ARTC to get your licence and you wont get one of them without your visa and as far as i know you wont get one on a holiday visa.
Your best bet is go round a few companys when you get out here and see if you can get cash in hand work. Its a sticky wicket to be honest as you also need your blue card to work on site. There are dodgy companys out there that probably would take you on but i guess there is risk involved????