here we go again

Old Aug 26th 2008, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

jwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond repute
Default here we go again

hi all, for any of you that want's to know John has to sit his seconnd electrical telephone exam at 12:00 today. It's 09:30 and he's bricking it already.
I feel realy sorry for him as he's really nervous and i can't do a thing to help him we work really well as a team but he has to go this one alone.
I have been asking him the questions i found on this site so he knows the answers but you can bet he'll get some completly different questions.
The thing that annoys him the most is that he actually knows about electrics having been in the trade since he was 16 and he's 44 now.(apart from what he's forgotton over the years)- you know the saying "if you don't use it you loose it". I know he'd rather do a practical because he wouldn't be so nervous.
Oh well, i'll let you know how he gets on later. I am going to try and write down the questions so i can put them on here for the rest of you.
wish him luck.
Jackie
Old Aug 26th 2008, 5:21 am
Just Joined

Drew813 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: here we go again

How did he get on? Were also in adelaide at the moment and its proving a right pain in the neck to get our certificates. Looks like were gonna be waiting around for a while until we finally get everything through etc. Does your husband know anywhere in adelaide that would hire us until we got everything through?

Cheers

Drew
Old Aug 26th 2008, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

jwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond repute

hi Drew,
Nervous wreck or what, he couldn't even hold the phone properly with out dropping it.
he was asked 43 questions in total but i think some of them were to get him to expand his answer.
At the end he asked if he'd passed and guess what???
he was told that the results would be given to the board of goveners to decide on the 1st sept. so yet again we are at the mercy of complete strangers.
Oh well at least he got through all the exam this time.
Thanks for asking anyway, also he is in the same position work wise, he can't get any either.
jackie
Old Aug 26th 2008, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

from what i can decipher here are the questions he was asked, easy peesy if your in complete control of all your facilties.
1. What is ohms law
2. What does V, I, R, mean
3. What is the unit for voltage
4. What is the unit for current
5. What is the unit for resistance
6. if a 240v AV circuit = 100 ohms, what is current
7. what is the unit
8. If each resister has series, what is the resistance of 10 ohms
9. what is the over all resistance
10. RMS value or value of 230v what is the peak value
11. what is the purpose of an RCD
12. what is the typical current and time trip rating of an RCD in domestic installation
13. what is the ultimate objective of an RCD
14. how do you measure the voltage across a resister
15. how do you measure current through a resister
16. what should you consider when choosing the size of cable
17. explain what a voltage drop is
18 what would happen if your cable is too long
19. 10% of voltage drop, what would you do to rectify
20. when you lay a cable installation what are the considerations
21. what are the international colours of active, neutral and earth
22. what are the considerations of installing a lighting system
23. name some types of globes
24. name some light fixtures and fittings
25. explain the operating system of a 3 phase motor and how does it work
26. explain the operating principle of a transformer
27. will a big transformer work on D/C
28. what are the other componants of a transformer
29. what does the iron cored metal do
30. if primary is 240v and the number of turns in the primary windings is 20, and the secondary windings is 140 what is the secondary voltage
31. why is the iron core laminated in a transformer
32. what tests do you carry out before handing over a house that you have wired
33. what are the componants of a 3 phase A/C motor
34. how do you perform an insullation test
35. what would be the voltage
36. what reading would you expect
37. what would the resistance reading be (ideal)
38. what mega would you expect
39. if 2x 10 ohms resisters wired in parellel what would be the overall resistance
40. how do you perform an installation resistance test
there were a couple more more i couldn't write them down fast enough
hope these help somebody
jackie
Old Aug 26th 2008, 10:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jackie,

Only just seen this! Poor John, having to go through all that again.

I have everything crossed that he gets that approval you guys really need.

We are going to have to arrange a meet sometime soon to catch up. Maybe we could have a few beers or something?
Old Aug 26th 2008, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wendy
Hi Jackie,

Only just seen this! Poor John, having to go through all that again.

I have everything crossed that he gets that approval you guys really need.

We are going to have to arrange a meet sometime soon to catch up. Maybe we could have a few beers or something?
hi wendy,
the examiner has phoned john again not so long ago and he's told john that he has reviewed john's answers and he has done better than the examiner first thought, he will is going to have a chat with a collegue tomorrow to discuss it all. however it will still have to go to the board as he has only been examining for 3 months so is still on probation. Still it seams more promising than earlier.
Yes would love to catch up with you for a beer. Just let us know where and when
jackie
Old Aug 26th 2008, 12:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jwood
hi wendy,
the examiner has phoned john again not so long ago and he's told john that he has reviewed john's answers and he has done better than the examiner first thought, he will is going to have a chat with a collegue tomorrow to discuss it all. however it will still have to go to the board as he has only been examining for 3 months so is still on probation. Still it seams more promising than earlier.
Yes would love to catch up with you for a beer. Just let us know where and when
jackie

That does sound like better news than I first thought too, still got everything crossed though

Our Trish has just got back from the UK (which you will probably know anyway!) so I as thinking of going to the ML's pub this Friday if you are up for it? - I will double check with them tomorrow as well though - see if they are over the jet lag yet! I will give you a call tomorrow aft if that's OK?
Old Aug 27th 2008, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wendy
That does sound like better news than I first thought too, still got everything crossed though

Our Trish has just got back from the UK (which you will probably know anyway!) so I as thinking of going to the ML's pub this Friday if you are up for it? - I will double check with them tomorrow as well though - see if they are over the jet lag yet! I will give you a call tomorrow aft if that's OK?
hi wendy
the examiner has had a chat with his colleague today and has told john that as far as he is concerned he has passed the exam but it will still be sent to the board of governors on monday to confirm as the examiner is still new. but at least we are half way there.
Yes wendy would love to go with you so long as the car has been repaired.(the engine blew up). I will let you know by Thursday evening.
Thanks for your support, and hopefully see you soon
jackie
Old Aug 27th 2008, 7:19 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

hi wendy
the examiner has had a chat with his colleague today and has told john that as far as he is concerned he has passed the exam but it will still be sent to the board of governors on monday to confirm as the examiner is still new. but at least we are half way there.
Yes wendy would love to go with you so long as the car has been repaired.(the engine blew up). I will let you know by Thursday evening.
jackie

i wont say congrats just yet but fingers crossed guys
that and thanks for the insight to the telephone exam
Old Aug 27th 2008, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

hi wendy
jackie

on the exam.

We are definitely going out on Friday evening and I can come and pick you up if your car is out of action. I will be driving there anyway
Old Aug 28th 2008, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steve`o
i wont say congrats just yet but fingers crossed guys
that and thanks for the insight to the telephone exam
why, are you taking the same exam the steve? i though you already had a licence.
jackie
Old Aug 28th 2008, 11:46 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

why, are you taking the same exam the steve? i though you already had a licence.
jackie
nope already got my electrical contractors licence
what i meant was thanks for sharing for others

regards steve
Old Aug 28th 2008, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

i thought you had
and as for sharing with others, i've had enough help from people on here especially you and wendy.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 12:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

i thought you had
and as for sharing with others, i've had enough help from people on here especially you and wendy.

Hi Jackie,

Are you coming tomorrow? I have to work but will still be going to the pub (can't let a little thing like work stop me ). Not sure what time i'll be finished work, but since it's overtime I will more than likely tell them I'm leaving about 4:30pm