British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   Help on process of WA A grade licence.pls help!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/help-process-wa-grade-licence-pls-help-748017/)

uksparky26 Feb 9th 2012 11:46 pm

Help on process of WA A grade licence.pls help!!

Thank you for reading,basically I am looking to get my WA A grade electricians licence but am very confused. I am a UK JIB qualifed electrician going to perth on a WHV late march, i would like to do as much of the process In the UK as poss,After reading forums ect here's the feedback am getting:

Whilst in UK:
1) apply for ARTC $300 ( how long does this process take? It says all copied certs must be signed by who?,anyone done this any info?also would I be applying for electrical mechanic?dusnt seem to be one that say "electrician"

2)register with Energy Saftey $40 by sending ARTC cert and ask for approval letter for ETL course

3) book ETL course by sending approval letter and pay fee

When in Perth:

4)complete 2week course

5) send off all Certs and apply for licence?

Please if am wrong about any of this or if someone who has done this procces from UK can give me any info would really be gratefull

Deyan Feb 10th 2012 12:53 am

Re: Help on process of WA A grade licence.pls help!!

in short, from 1 to 5 all the answers are "yes" and one more yes, you'd be applying for an electrical mechanic. ARTC takes 4 - 6 weeks.

uksparky26 Feb 10th 2012 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Deyan (Post 9893825)
in short, from 1 to 5 all the answers are "yes" and one more yes, you'd be applying for an electrical mechanic. ARTC takes 4 - 6 weeks.

Cheers mate, seems like the ARTC is the big one then it gets easier.
Can I just ask how much evidence do you need to support you application?
Ovbiusly Certs ect what about drawings, photos?

Also I might struggle to get 3 references as done a lot of chopping and changing over the years, do they actually contact your 3 references? Or just see it as more evidence to your work history?

God I best get a move on am going in 7-8weeks (last minute idea with friends)
Wish I had longer so I could do most at home,oh wel if I can get the ARTC from home at least

Jockstar Feb 10th 2012 9:35 am

Originally Posted by uksparky26 (Post 9894299)
Cheers mate, seems like the ARTC is the big one then it gets easier.
Can I just ask how much evidence do you need to support you application?
Ovbiusly Certs ect what about drawings, photos?

Also I might struggle to get 3 references as done a lot of chopping and changing over the years, do they actually contact your 3 references? Or just see it as more evidence to your work history?

God I best get a move on am going in 7-8weeks (last minute idea with friends)
Wish I had longer so I could do most at home,oh wel if I can get the ARTC from home at least

BTW if you come to Sydney then u don't need a licence to work as an electrician as you will be working with licenced sparkies then u can focus on getting your licence later.

paulgrossi83 Feb 10th 2012 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Jockstar (Post 9894327)
BTW if you come to Sydney then u don't need a licence to work as an electrician as you will be working with licenced sparkies then u can focus on getting your licence later.

Hi there mate. Im currently at the early stages of applying for the Immigration visa. Anyone i have spoken to has told me you need to complete the offshore trade assessment in the uk at a cost of $3500. After that you also have to complete the Electrician A grade licence course once you actually get out to Western Au. I take it the license you will get once completing the 2week course is not a full A License or everyone would just pay the $300 rather than the $3500 for the vetassess trade test.

just a question, as im finding it a bloody complicated process! ha ha

All the best in March!

Paul

Jockstar Feb 11th 2012 12:08 am

Originally Posted by paulgrossi83 (Post 9895380)
Hi there mate. Im currently at the early stages of applying for the Immigration visa. Anyone i have spoken to has told me you need to complete the offshore trade assessment in the uk at a cost of $3500. After that you also have to complete the Electrician A grade licence course once you actually get out to Western Au. I take it the license you will get once completing the 2week course is not a full A License or everyone would just pay the $300 rather than the $3500 for the vetassess trade test.

just a question, as im finding it a bloody complicated process! ha ha

All the best in March!

Paul

Vetasses is for immigration only.When you get here you then apply for an ARTC number. Then and only then can u go for your licence. In my last post i was referring to NSW as in NSW you don't need a licence to work as a sparky if you work with a licenced sparky. But of course its better have one but there is nothing illegal about working without one. Though in other states its different.

uksparky26 Feb 11th 2012 9:07 am

Yeah your route is for permenant residency,wereas am going on a 12month WHV so will have to leave unless sponsored

paulgrossi83 Feb 11th 2012 12:20 pm

Hi again.

What I don't quite understand is that if you need to do the vetassess which is $3500 to be eligible to apply for the a grade license then how can someone on a WHV get the A license by paying $300 and getting the trade recognition cert. surly everyone would just take this cheaper route??

Deyan Feb 11th 2012 12:27 pm

Vetassess is for immigration purpose (for permanent residency)

dunnoversparky Apr 18th 2012 5:23 am

Explanation of WA Electrical Mechanic: (1.) Can be an electrical house-wirer confined to house-wiring only. Able to test integrity of wiring and earthing. No knowledge or experience required in electrical controls of any form. (2) Can be a commercial installer, installing and commissioning complex electrical control equipment including PLC's, VSD's and instrumentation.
Explanation of WA Electrical Fitter (now defunct): Maintenance electrician who is required to fault-find, repair and service all industrial and office equipment there is. Includes PLC's, VSD's, plant control systems, factory machinery etc. etc. Allowed to replace like-for-like installed equipment but not allowed to install, move or modify electrical wiring.
Present situation in WA... The only general electrical qualification is called "Electrician"
Any WA Electrical Mechanic qualifies for this "Electrician" status. (Even house-wirers with no controls experience)
All WA Electrical Fitters were downgraded to "Electrical worker-Restricted to Electrical Fitting Work only) in July 2008.

For Electrical Fitters to gain "Electrician" qualification they are forced to do one year of installing work working directly for/under an "Electrician Contractor who monitors/reports their progress to the Electrical Licensing Board. Also college theory exams and work projects in employer signed "diaries" need to be processed and accepted by the board. There is no way around this- the Board told me to my face.

If you are a mature age Electrical Fitter no-one will employ you on these terms as an apprentice because inconvenience aside, by law you have to be paid a full adult wage.

I am one of the latter. I held an "A" Grade Electrical Fitter License for 15 years. You are unemployable if you are not an "Electrician" in WA Australia and it's virtually impossible to attain it.

woodymcfc Apr 19th 2012 12:29 am

Originally Posted by dunnoversparky (Post 10011685)
Explanation of WA Electrical Mechanic: (1.) Can be an electrical house-wirer confined to house-wiring only. Able to test integrity of wiring and earthing. No knowledge or experience required in electrical controls of any form. (2) Can be a commercial installer, installing and commissioning complex electrical control equipment including PLC's, VSD's and instrumentation.
Explanation of WA Electrical Fitter (now defunct): Maintenance electrician who is required to fault-find, repair and service all industrial and office equipment there is. Includes PLC's, VSD's, plant control systems, factory machinery etc. etc. Allowed to replace like-for-like installed equipment but not allowed to install, move or modify electrical wiring.
Present situation in WA... The only general electrical qualification is called "Electrician"
Any WA Electrical Mechanic qualifies for this "Electrician" status. (Even house-wirers with no controls experience)
All WA Electrical Fitters were downgraded to "Electrical worker-Restricted to Electrical Fitting Work only) in July 2008.

For Electrical Fitters to gain "Electrician" qualification they are forced to do one year of installing work working directly for/under an "Electrician Contractor who monitors/reports their progress to the Electrical Licensing Board. Also college theory exams and work projects in employer signed "diaries" need to be processed and accepted by the board. There is no way around this- the Board told me to my face.

If you are a mature age Electrical Fitter no-one will employ you on these terms as an apprentice because inconvenience aside, by law you have to be paid a full adult wage.

I am one of the latter. I held an "A" Grade Electrical Fitter License for 15 years. You are unemployable if you are not an "Electrician" in WA Australia and it's virtually impossible to attain it.

'The Board' will give you conflicting advise, believe me I have had it !! I managed to speak with the top guys at both energysafety and TRA and they both put me right............The WA a grade electrical license (restricted to fitting work only) WILL get you a job if thats what you do, maintenance work...although I must admit that some employers will require you to do install also............what really pisses me off about the whole situation, no disrespect to most install sparks from the uk, ask an install spark to program a VSD or access a PLC program and make modifications, they wouldn't have a clue because its not their line of work !!!!

woodymcfc Apr 19th 2012 7:01 am

The description of a electrician restricted to electrical fitting work. This is WA legislation from the electricity licensing regs 1991 which can be found on pg 8 of the regs ....go to www.SLP.gov.au

electrical fitting work means the work of making, maintaining,
repairing, altering, assembling, dismantling, connecting or
testing electrical machines, electrical appliances, electrical
instruments or other electrical equipment, and includes electrical
installing work if that work is assembling, maintaining or
altering the wiring between electrical components in plant or
machinery;

Jenykforce5 Apr 22nd 2012 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by woodymcfc (Post 10013945)
The description of a electrician restricted to electrical fitting work. This is WA legislation from the electricity licensing regs 1991 which can be found on pg 8 of the regs ....go to www.SLP.gov.au

electrical fitting work means the work of making, maintaining,
repairing, altering, assembling, dismantling, connecting or
testing electrical machines, electrical appliances, electrical
instruments or other electrical equipment, and includes electrical
installing work if that work is assembling, maintaining or
altering the wiring between electrical components in plant or
machinery;

As Always I start reading this forum - quite clear about what we need to do and then after reading others posts I end totally confused!

Can I ask - if my husband has the VETASSES OSTR which says he has Certificate 3 in Electrotechnical Electrician whatever that means - should we be applying for the ARTC then?

Please can someone help?
Cheers Jen

Deyan Apr 24th 2012 7:55 pm

If he has OSTR than he should apply for ETL course once he come to Oz, in WA that will be Energy safety and here is the form

http://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/energy...097%201011.pdf

He will do 12 months work under supervision (GAP training) and at the end he will get A grade electrical license.

Another way is apply for ARTC, get ARTC certificate, apply for ETL course(form ) and take your A grade license without 12 months gap training

Jenykforce5 Apr 24th 2012 9:57 pm

Thank you for A very clear cut response its appreciated. Only I think on another thread someone was saying that their husband got his A licence in WA, straight after doing the ETL course with an OSTR! No gap training!

I'm finding this all so ridiculous anyhow! Why the two separate routes? We spent a load of money on the VETASSES qualification - they even told us that would fast track our route in 2008 - little did we know then!!