Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Help please, need license advice...

Help please, need license advice...

Old Nov 4th 2010, 6:02 am
Just Joined

accccjr is just really niceaccccjr is just really niceaccccjr is just really niceaccccjr is just really niceaccccjr is just really niceaccccjr is just really niceaccccjr is just really niceaccccjr is just really nice
Default Re: Help please, need license advice...

Originally Posted by richh
Hi All

Having gained my 136 visa back in July 2007, got it verified Jan 2008, I then hit upon various family situations which kept me here in the UK.

I now intend to land in NSW March 2011.

Having just found this great forum, I'm a bit confused as to what I required to do to get my licence, having had my skill recognised by the TRA to get the visa, do I just show up and get a restricted licence, work for a year as a trainee and take a test?

Or do I go through Vetasse's here in the UK before I go? And what is all that about?

Or do I just do a TAFE course while I settle in NSW working for a licenced sparks?

Obviously I would like to get on the tools as a licenced sparks, but which way would be the best way?

Hope you could point me in the right direction and thanks for taking time to read my basic questions.

All the best

richh
Hi,

I got my electrician license here in NSW. I was also assessed by TRA to get my visa. Since you already have your visa and had been assessed by TRA, you don't need Vetasses assessment anymore. Vetasses also does qualification assessments as a visa requirement.

Go straight here in NSW and do the following to get a NSW license:

1. When I arrived here in NSW, I had my qualifications assessed again by TRA for me to have the ARTC ( Australian Recognition Trade Certificate )

2. When I got the ARTCert, I enrolled and took the wiring rules test in Adelaide, South Australia - PEER Tech.

3. Went to OCBA ( Office of Consumer and Business Affairs ) in Adelaide to apply for a license. They require the submission of the ARTCert and the Certificate from PEER Tech.

4. Lastly, I went to Fair Trading NSW to convert my South Australian license to NSW electrician license.

Now, I am happily working as an industrial electrician for over 2 yrs here in NSW.

All the best....
Old Nov 11th 2010, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

Nimbus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by richh
Hi All

Having gained my 136 visa back in July 2007, got it verified Jan 2008, I then hit upon various family situations which kept me here in the UK.

I now intend to land in NSW March 2011.

Having just found this great forum, I'm a bit confused as to what I required to do to get my licence, having had my skill recognised by the TRA to get the visa, do I just show up and get a restricted licence, work for a year as a trainee and take a test?

Or do I go through Vetasse's here in the UK before I go? And what is all that about?

Or do I just do a TAFE course while I settle in NSW working for a licenced sparks?

Obviously I would like to get on the tools as a licenced sparks, but which way would be the best way?

Hope you could point me in the right direction and thanks for taking time to read my basic questions.

All the best

richh
Hi, with regards to putting in your new TRA application for the ARTC, just put in as much possible info and references and make them VERY detailed, as well as all details of apprenticeship and then some more (they love motors, starters and transformers over here and they are convinced that we have never covered them in the UK so if you have experience with them like repairing and fault finding +++ DONT LEAVE IT OUT (pics, detailed list of tools used, info about jobs you have worked on etc). I gave them reference letters for last 7 years and that was not enough, then gave them a Statutory Declaration for entire work history and still not enough, now a trade test. It looks like that just because they approve for visa application purposes, it does not mean they will approve for the ARTC. If you are going to be moving to NSW then the NSW committee in the TRA will assess your application and like wise with other States. Queensland committee seem to be the stickiest. (I have 10 years experience in the trade, C&G 2330 level 3, NVQ 3, 17th edition and 2391, no apprenticeship, JIB card, and have just been asked to do a trade test).

Apprenticeship =
Experience with motors, starters and transformers =
Qualifications =

I would try and apply for ARTC at least two months before arriving, have it sent to Aus address, on arrival take ARTC with you to Peer when you have completed their correspondence course and paid them $1400 (4 days at Peer). You can then apply for a South Aus licence while you are in Adelaide and switch it over to a NSW one after.

Good luck with everything.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

Nimbus is an unknown quantity at this point

Anybody got any ideas of what to expect in a trade test done for TRA, at a Tafe in Queensland? Lots of help needed pleeeease
Old Nov 12th 2010, 12:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nimbus
Anybody got any ideas of what to expect in a trade test done for TRA, at a Tafe in Queensland? Lots of help needed pleeeease
Maybe this post will help? http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ht=trades+test

It's pretty old though, so may have changed.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 7:08 am
Just Joined

dollar_124 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by accccjr
Hi,

I got my electrician license here in NSW. I was also assessed by TRA to get my visa. Since you already have your visa and had been assessed by TRA, you don't need Vetasses assessment anymore. Vetasses also does qualification assessments as a visa requirement.

Go straight here in NSW and do the following to get a NSW license:

1. When I arrived here in NSW, I had my qualifications assessed again by TRA for me to have the ARTC ( Australian Recognition Trade Certificate )

2. When I got the ARTCert, I enrolled and took the wiring rules test in Adelaide, South Australia - PEER Tech.

3. Went to OCBA ( Office of Consumer and Business Affairs ) in Adelaide to apply for a license. They require the submission of the ARTCert and the Certificate from PEER Tech.

4. Lastly, I went to Fair Trading NSW to convert my South Australian license to NSW electrician license.

Now, I am happily working as an industrial electrician for over 2 yrs here in NSW.

All the best....
Hi,
Thanks for your mail in details.
But can you please tell what was your recognition by TRA/ARTC?
I was recognized as Electrical Fitter..I have got SA unrestricted License like you...But worried whether NSW will give me Unrestricted Electrician License for Electrical Fitter..
(I have 4 years Engineering degree, will it be any help)?

Thanks
Kudrot.