Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Help please, need license advice...

Help please, need license advice...

Old Oct 25th 2010, 9:30 am
Just Joined

richh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help please, need license advice...

Hi All

Having gained my 136 visa back in July 2007, got it verified Jan 2008, I then hit upon various family situations which kept me here in the UK.

I now intend to land in NSW March 2011.

Having just found this great forum, I'm a bit confused as to what I required to do to get my licence, having had my skill recognised by the TRA to get the visa, do I just show up and get a restricted licence, work for a year as a trainee and take a test?

Or do I go through Vetasse's here in the UK before I go? And what is all that about?

Or do I just do a TAFE course while I settle in NSW working for a licenced sparks?

Obviously I would like to get on the tools as a licenced sparks, but which way would be the best way?

Hope you could point me in the right direction and thanks for taking time to read my basic questions.

All the best

richh
Old Oct 25th 2010, 1:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help please, need license advice...

Originally Posted by richh
Hi All

Having gained my 136 visa back in July 2007, got it verified Jan 2008, I then hit upon various family situations which kept me here in the UK.

I now intend to land in NSW March 2011.

Having just found this great forum, I'm a bit confused as to what I required to do to get my licence, having had my skill recognised by the TRA to get the visa, do I just show up and get a restricted licence, work for a year as a trainee and take a test?

Or do I go through Vetasse's here in the UK before I go? And what is all that about?

Or do I just do a TAFE course while I settle in NSW working for a licenced sparks?

Obviously I would like to get on the tools as a licenced sparks, but which way would be the best way?

Hope you could point me in the right direction and thanks for taking time to read my basic questions.

All the best

richh

Vetassess is just for the pre-migration skills assessment. You will need to apply to the TRA again for an Australian Recognised Trades Certificate (ARTC) http://www.deewr.gov.au/Skills/Progr...ages/home.aspx You can apply before you get here, although they won't post it outside Australia so you'll need an Aussie address to have it sent to.

You will also need to do a course in your state. Not sure about the procedure for NSW - you'd have to look through this site and try to figure it out (unless someone comes on who knows!) http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/Tr...lectrical.html

If you had have been coming before December this year you could have done the South Australian course at Peer training - it's the fastest way to get a licence at the minute. I know that the course will be changing in Dec, but I'm not sure what to Someone said something about a 3 month course? but I don't know any details. Hopefully someone that does know will be able to help a bit more
Old Oct 25th 2010, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply Wendy most appreciated.

I take it that an application for the ARTC is a straight forward matter of applying and paying for a 'pre-licence' or is this just wishful thinking!

I assume that once I have an ARTC this will enable me to work as a 'trainee' electrician until I have completed the TAFE course?

Do I still have to do the full year as a 'trainee' before I would be granted a licence?

Or would this also depend on state to state ruling.

Thanks again for your time.

richh
Old Oct 25th 2010, 7:50 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply Wendy most appreciated.

I take it that an application for the ARTC is a straight forward matter of applying and paying for a 'pre-licence' or is this just wishful thinking!

I assume that once I have an ARTC this will enable me to work as a 'trainee' electrician until I have completed the TAFE course?

Do I still have to do the full year as a 'trainee' before I would be granted a licence?

Or would this also depend on state to state ruling.

Thanks again for your time.

richh
no the artc and licence are two differnt applications
your tra cert is for immigration purposes only you have to apply for an artc ( from the tra ) in order to apply for a licence

http://www.deewr.gov.au/Skills/Progr...ages/home.aspx

now not sure about nsw but in qld you would be issued wth a "training permit" some times referred to as a "training licence" you ca work with thisunder supervsion until you complete your states version of the au wiring regs course and in most states now a log book showing that youve successfully completed several differing types of installations are compatant to do so,
Old Oct 25th 2010, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by steve`o
no the artc and licence are two differnt applications
your tra cert is for immigration purposes only you have to apply for an artc ( from the tra ) in order to apply for a licence

http://www.deewr.gov.au/Skills/Progr...ages/home.aspx

now not sure about nsw but in qld you would be issued wth a "training permit" some times referred to as a "training licence" you ca work with thisunder supervsion until you complete your states version of the au wiring regs course and in most states now a log book showing that youve successfully completed several differing types of installations are compatant to do so,
Steve'o

Thanks for the info and link, most grateful. Just had a look at some other threads, I take it that the au regs course is the one that PEER do, or have i got this idea wrong!
An if i ain't, are there going to be some major changes after December?

Sorry to all if my questions are the same old as many before me.

Cheers

richh
Old Oct 25th 2010, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

Steve'o

Just tried to send a quick reply to your post but as i'm new to this forum stuff I obviously pressed wrong button as my reply vanished.

Anyway, thanks for reading and advice. I take it that the au regs course is run by PEER or TAFE, or have i got this wrong.

And I read some post about changes happening in December about PEER?

Thanks again

Richh
Old Oct 25th 2010, 9:08 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Steve'o

Just tried to send a quick reply to your post but as i'm new to this forum stuff I obviously pressed wrong button as my reply vanished.

Anyway, thanks for reading and advice. I take it that the au regs course is run by PEER or TAFE, or have i got this wrong.

And I read some post about changes happening in December about PEER?

Thanks again

Richh
peer is in adelaide in south australia if you attaned peer you get a SA licence, the course is usually via correspondance with a 2/3 day visist to peer to do the exams, tafe is just another word for college so you could attend tafe in any state and do the local state course,
the peer course changes in dec in as much as they will from dec on require
a log book to show compatancy
Old Oct 26th 2010, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by steve`o
peer is in adelaide in south australia if you attaned peer you get a SA licence, the course is usually via correspondance with a 2/3 day visist to peer to do the exams, tafe is just another word for college so you could attend tafe in any state and do the local state course,
the peer course changes in dec in as much as they will from dec on require
a log book to show compatancy
Getting it now! becoming much clearer.

Thanks again for you help Steve'o.

What a great forum this is!

richh
Old Oct 27th 2010, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

ericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really nice

Hi there Richh,
I just received an email from Peer this morning. From 31 Dec 2010 they will just be adding the "single phase" 12hr course to the current AS3000 wiring course.
We are headed over to Adelaide in January 2011.

Good luck!
Old Oct 28th 2010, 6:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ericks
Hi there Richh,
I just received an email from Peer this morning. From 31 Dec 2010 they will just be adding the "single phase" 12hr course to the current AS3000 wiring course.
We are headed over to Adelaide in January 2011.

Good luck!
Hello ericks

Thanks for the info, I wonder if that be a domestic only course?

As Steve'o mentioned, I would also need a log book for compatancy from December on wards, so as I cannot get over till March at the earliest, will have to do some further reserach in to my best options.

Good luck and the very best for Adelaide!

richh
Old Oct 28th 2010, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

ericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really nice

Hello ericks

As Steve'o mentioned, I would also need a log book for compatancy from December on wards, so as I cannot get over till March at the earliest, will have to do some further reserach in to my best options.

richh
No problem, i was worried about the "log book" idea when i read the post. That's when we contacted Peer. They only require an ARTC and the two courses for licensing, no logbook after December!
Old Oct 28th 2010, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

No problem, i was worried about the "log book" idea when i read the post. That's when we contacted Peer. They only require an ARTC and the two courses for licensing, no logbook after December!
Thanks for clarifying that, it's brilliant news
Hello ericks

richh
Seems the PEER route may be the best option still Maybe Erics will post his experience for us after he's done the course so you and others know?
Old Oct 28th 2010, 9:03 pm
Worongary

thanks for clearing that one up

confused again ( not that difficult lol ) but i`d been told by others doing the course that after dec they were adding a logbook to bring it in line with other states

just a thought,
but can you copy your reply from peer so other members can speak to the right person it as always seems that if you call serveral times and speak to several differing people you get several differnt answers

regards steve
Old Oct 29th 2010, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

No problem,

I couldn't manage to send an email to Peer on their mail address so i just filled in the Expression of interest form online, and on the "cover letter" i asked my questions.

Here is the reply i received:

"Hi Erick

At this stage we have not put dates in place for 2011 but you can do our course via correspondence. It costs $1485 which includes all standards and work folder. Our changes to licensing have come through already. You have to do wiring rules along with single phase testing. You can do this course by correspondence but will need to come to Adelaide for 4 days for revision and testing. Once completed and passed, with your Australian Recognised Trade certificate and our statement, you can apply for your SA electrical licence.

If any other questions, please feel free to contact me.

I am attaching an enrolment form for you to fill out

thanks

Kind Regards

Training Services Administrator

PEER VEET
1042 Port Road
Albert Park SA 5014
Phone +61 8 8348 1200
Fax +61 8 8348 1201"
Old Oct 29th 2010, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

moriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to all

I finally have my visa and hope to be over next year,
I think I have an idea now thanks to you chaps on here as to what i have to do, Basicly as I went the Vetassess route I send off to the ARTC (I have a local address to use) then when I get a grading I then choose which state to do my final regs/ log book exam with SA still seeming to be the simplest route?

One question I have is I have just started my design and verification course in the UK and would it be worth finishing it before I sent off to the ARTC?
I have got everything else, I didn't know if it would make a difference.

many thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.