British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   Help please? any work in Perth while licence coming? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/help-please-any-work-perth-while-licence-coming-501987/)

Darren_Karen Dec 28th 2007 3:31 am

Help please? any work in Perth while licence coming?

Hello there

been a while since we've been on here, having trouble getting internet installed at home - everything takes ages.... anyway,

Darren failed his telephone interview for his ARTC, so then did a trade test and was told he'd passed by PEER in Adelaide.

Three weeks later, still no news, so we chased up and apparently PEER hadn't sent anything off to ARTC yet! ARTC (very nice man) rang them up to ask and they said, yup he's passed. Problem is we now have to wait until 29th Jan for a committee meeting within ARTC to see if the 3 of the 5 panel members will pass him!! So earliest to get the licence will be end Feb, as he reckons we'll hear something mid feb, and then Darren will need to travel back to Adelaide with his wiring rules cert, and ARTC cert to get his licence.

we're based in Perth, and quickly running out of our savings.

Is there anyway Darren can work until this arrives? With all the downs and downs we've had, we're still not 100% sure he'll get his licence, apparently its not a given just because he's passed the trade test. they look at his score, and were he failed to decide.

needless to say we're stressed about it all, and need to work asap.

once new year is out of the way, he plans to look for any type of casual work, but i'm sure there must be a way he can work in the electrical industry? After all, he has all his papers from UK to prove his skills, and letters from employers to prove his experience.

anyway, ramble over.

KAREN :)

Wendy Dec 28th 2007 5:17 am

Re: Help please? any work in Perth while licence coming?

Originally Posted by Darren_Karen (Post 5710985)
Hello there

been a while since we've been on here, having trouble getting internet installed at home - everything takes ages.... anyway,

Darren failed his telephone interview for his ARTC, so then did a trade test and was told he'd passed by PEER in Adelaide.

Three weeks later, still no news, so we chased up and apparently PEER hadn't sent anything off to ARTC yet! ARTC (very nice man) rang them up to ask and they said, yup he's passed. Problem is we now have to wait until 29th Jan for a committee meeting within ARTC to see if the 3 of the 5 panel members will pass him!! So earliest to get the licence will be end Feb, as he reckons we'll hear something mid feb, and then Darren will need to travel back to Adelaide with his wiring rules cert, and ARTC cert to get his licence.

Is there anyway Darren can work until this arrives? With all the downs and downs we've had, we're still not 100% sure he'll get his licence, apparently its not a given just because he's passed the trade test. they look at his score, and were he failed to decide.

once new year is out of the way, he plans to look for any type of casual work, but i'm sure there must be a way he can work in the electrical industry? After all, he has all his papers from UK to prove his skills, and letters from employers to prove his experience.

anyway, ramble over.

Oh Karen, what a nightmare for you.

If I can help in any way, please don't hesitate to ask - maybe I could sort out the licence part with the OCBA for you? save him having to come back down here? You could post the forms to me and I'll take them in for you.

I can't help at all with work in Perth, hopefully someone can.

Darren_Karen Dec 28th 2007 9:58 am

Wendy

Thanks for the offer - but I think he needs to do it, have his photo taken or something?

These things are sent to try us but we'll get there eventually. in the meantime I'm now having to try to find something to pay the rent - so much for me saying I'd wait til they were at school then find something part time!

How are you? How was Christmas? You were right on the Wii front, not one to be found in the UK and ebay prices sky high.

Take care, I'll keep you posted as best I can while I'm still beg, borrow, and stealing internet access!

Wendy Dec 28th 2007 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by Darren_Karen (Post 5711841)
Wendy

Thanks for the offer - but I think he needs to do it, have his photo taken or something?

These things are sent to try us but we'll get there eventually. in the meantime I'm now having to try to find something to pay the rent - so much for me saying I'd wait til they were at school then find something part time!

How are you? How was Christmas? You were right on the Wii front, not one to be found in the UK and ebay prices sky high.

Take care, I'll keep you posted as best I can while I'm still beg, borrow, and stealing internet access!

Oh bugger, forgot about the photo!

I hope that someone can help on the job front. He could apply for jobs and be a bit conservative with the truth, he could say that the ARTC is in the post ( I know someone here that did that and got a job :D ).

We're just fine thanks, christmas was good this year - felt a lot more in the mood for it this time around.

jamiefrod Dec 30th 2007 5:40 am

Originally Posted by Darren_Karen (Post 5710985)
Hello there

anyway, ramble over.

You can get agency work as an electrical trade assistant without a licence, or try delving into the world of auto electrical work (12-24V means no licence required). It's sh*t work but it pays the bills while you wait for the licence to arrive. I'm going through the same thing at the moment.

Just out of interest is your hubby going to be using the licence he gets from adelaide in WA? And if so is this allowed? I would rather sort my licence there if thats the case, as it's supposed to be more straight forward

jamiefrod Dec 30th 2007 5:42 am

Also you can get work as a spark without a licence, trust me. Domestic house bashers on the new estates arn't too fussy. But I didn't say that obviously.

Good luck

Darren_Karen Dec 30th 2007 6:41 am

Jamie

Thanks for the post, I'll let him know. Are there any agencies off the top of your head we should try first? We're north perth. only went to adelaide to get the licence, as the process was a lot quicker/easier - or so we thought!?

messed up big time just sending the same docs off as we did for TRA. He got his wiring rules from PEER no probs, never expected the ARTC element to be so difficult. should sue our migration agents who told us to send the same docs off, foolish indeed.

So you're in a similar position? How's it going? If you fancy a meet up, I'm sure he'd be glad of it, spending time with his good wife and kids after months is cracking him up!

Thanks again

Wendy Dec 30th 2007 9:45 am

Yay! That sounds hopeful. I'm crossing everything for you Karen :)

Originally Posted by jamiefrod (Post 5718279)
You can get agency work as an electrical trade assistant without a licence, or try delving into the world of auto electrical work (12-24V means no licence required). It's sh*t work but it pays the bills while you wait for the licence to arrive. I'm going through the same thing at the moment.

Just out of interest is your hubby going to be using the licence he gets from adelaide in WA? And if so is this allowed? I would rather sort my licence there if thats the case, as it's supposed to be more straight forward

You just apply with your SA licence for interstate mutual recognition. :)

Do you have your ARTC yet?

jamiefrod Dec 30th 2007 12:03 pm

Hi Karen,

Two that spring to mind are Hays and skilled, you can find both Perth offices numbers on google. I know the feeling your husbands getting, I feel like I'm going mad it being just me and the girlfriend all the time! (only joking louise if your reading this, haha) If you ever want to meet for a drink and a chat just PM us.

Hi Wendy,

Is this a recent change being able to get things sorted in Adelaide? I'm sure someone told we a while back nothing was transferable between states. Glad I found out though, cheers:thumbsup:

Wendy Dec 30th 2007 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by jamiefrod (Post 5719342)

Hi Wendy,

Is this a recent change being able to get things sorted in Adelaide? I'm sure someone told we a while back nothing was transferable between states. Glad I found out though, cheers:thumbsup:

It's been like that for at least the past two years. Some people do still believe you can't do it, but it is possible as I know quite a few people that have done it.

The form you would need is here: http://www.energysafety.wa.gov.au/en...orm%20R064.pdf :)

jamiefrod Dec 31st 2007 12:40 am

Thanks Wendy:thumbsup:

jamiefrod Jan 2nd 2008 11:23 pm

So do I do the PEER training wiring regs course, apply for the SA licence, then transfere it for a WA licence?

Wendy Jan 3rd 2008 12:53 am

Originally Posted by jamiefrod (Post 5731569)
So do I do the PEER training wiring regs course, apply for the SA licence, then transfere it for a WA licence?

Yep, that's what you need to do.

The course takes approx 3 weeks, then you can apply for your unrestricted licence so long as you have your ARTC. :)

Darren_Karen Jan 3rd 2008 1:56 am

Also, you can do this via correspondance course, so you don't need to be in adelaide to do it - although if you can afford it, i'd suggest you do - its a beautiful place once you get to visit around.

With regards transferring, you can do this, however, I read somewhere that they were making them automatically valid across states to help with the trade shortage. I've not looked into this further yet, as we still haven't got that golden ticket!, but will keep you informed when we do.

Good luck

Karen

somme Jan 8th 2008 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 5720783)
It's been like that for at least the past two years. Some people do still believe you can't do it, but it is possible as I know quite a few people that have done it.

The form you would need is here: http://www.energysafety.wa.gov.au/en...orm%20R064.pdf :)

Hi Wendy

Do you know what form you need to transfer your SA licence to Queensland, will Peers tell us?