British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   Help a newbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/help-newbie-520282/)

lisawh Mar 9th 2008 3:03 pm

Help a newbie

Hello everyone. Reading lots of useful info. Great site posted this somewhere else before doing a new thread.
My OH is a trainee electrician with 6yrs exp about to hopefully finish his C&G part 2 in june. He did this off his own back, no college tutoring.
I understand he has to have 2 yrs post qual exp, but could he get sponsorship before this?
His mum lives in brizzie and has a friend possibly willing to sponsor him with a cctv installing business. She is also willing to sponsor.
Any help would be lovely

melbert Mar 9th 2008 4:52 pm

Re: Help a newbie

Hi Lisawh,

My Hubby has been an electrician (on the railways) for 18 years and he went back to college to qualify and he qualified last year. We have been successfully assessed by Vetassess for his experience, he hasn't done 2 years post qualification work experience.

Hope this helps.

Mel:)

Becky723359 Mar 9th 2008 5:22 pm

Hi,

I'll second that too, Dave been sparky for 12 years finished his NVQ3 in July and got cert in Sept, he's passed Vetassess paper based assessment.

Good Luck

lisawh Mar 9th 2008 6:07 pm

helps alot, thankyou, would rather go on an independent visa than sponsorship. Fingers crossed for later in the year then, at least he'll have all the exam stuff new in his head!

melbert Mar 9th 2008 7:10 pm

No probs, good luck to him then, tell him to have a look at the Vetassess website at the requirements for the paperwork so he can start gathering his experience etc, it'll be easier than thinking of it when the time comes to complete it!!

Mel :)

lisawh Mar 9th 2008 7:35 pm

cheers. When and where are you guys going? Do you use an agent or doing it all yourself?

melbert Mar 9th 2008 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by lisawh (Post 6039015)
cheers. When and where are you guys going? Do you use an agent or doing it all yourself?

Hi,

We don't mind either NSW (south of Sydney), Adelaide or Perth. If we get to the visa stage then we'll be off as soon as possible. We didn't use an agent and I've looked at the Immigration website and followed the steps and think we'll be ok doing it ourselves, never know though, depends how we feel at the time eh!! I don't think they can get things moving any faster and I also think they hear the outcome before you, that's hardly fair is it!!!!!! Some people prefer to use one for peace of mind that the form is fully complete etc, it really is a personal choice!!

What about you?

Mel:)

lisawh Mar 9th 2008 9:25 pm

hopefully brisbane, boyfs mum lives there. Thinking of not using an agent too but reading all the threads on here makes you think its harder than originally thought. Good that this is here to give you guidance tho.
good luck with yours Mel. Kids in tow too eh?

melbert Mar 9th 2008 9:43 pm

Yeah, three of them. Want to go and give them a much better life as well as ourselves of course. The eldest has been before with us and really wants to go, with some apprehension of course! The other two are too young to realise. My best friend made the move to Oz nearly 5 years ago and loves it, she visited back here last year and said that she's never coming back again!!!! Her husbands family have always lived there though, I think it's probably more comforting to have people out there that you know but the whole thing is exciting, nervewracking and a real rollercoaster ride getting there!!

Mel:) :)

Becky723359 Mar 9th 2008 10:06 pm

Dave and I off to Melbourne.
We loved Perth but I have a cousin on the Mornington Peninsula and we loved it down there so thats where we're off.
We've seen a small flat for sale and keep thinking about buying it, if 1 of the houses sells soon then we will - we'll see.
Def Melbourne though.
Just us and the daft cat.