British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   Help needed! work experience for TRA app (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/help-needed-work-experience-tra-app-757899/)

DR_SURF May 11th 2012 6:15 am

Help needed! work experience for TRA app

help!
My husband is a uk qualified sparkie and we are going to aus on my 457.
We are going to try to get him the TRA cert. Here's the problem....

he started his apprenticeship in sept 2008 so when we arrive in aus he will have 3 years 10 months experience. In the criteria and guidelines it says 4 years experience however it also has a category which says -

"been a regular serviceperson and reached the standard contained in the agreement between the Service and relevant Union for recognition as a skilled electrical tradesperson"

We think he would count as this but wondered if anyone has successfully applied in similar circumstances?

thanks!

derren7 May 11th 2012 8:22 am

Re: Help needed! work experience for TRA app

Originally Posted by DR_SURF (Post 10053978)
help!
My husband is a uk qualified sparkie and we are going to aus on my 457.
We are going to try to get him the TRA cert. Here's the problem....

he started his apprenticeship in sept 2008 so when we arrive in aus he will have 3 years 10 months experience. In the criteria and guidelines it says 4 years experience however it also has a category which says -

"been a regular serviceperson and reached the standard contained in the agreement between the Service and relevant Union for recognition as a skilled electrical tradesperson"

We think he would count as this but wondered if anyone has successfully applied in similar circumstances?

thanks!

Hi there,
To be honest, I think your OH would get knocked back by the TRA on this occasion. There's a post submitted by a another sparky on this forum somewhere, who got rejected by the TRA because he completed his apprenticeship after 3 years and 11 months. The TRA are very picky so I would be quite surprised if they granted an ARTC on this occasion, especially when it's clearly stated that a 4 year apprenticeship must have been completed.
There are options to consider. Would it be viable for him to stay behind in the UK for a few months to get the required 4 years?
If not then it may be worth going down the RPL route.
RPL- Recognition of Prior Learning. Basically, he would need to go to a TAFE (college, approved by the TRA) and they would assess his skills and advise him on any gaps in his training/experience and the necessary courses he would need to undertake in order to be recognised as a sparky.
Regards Derren

mashup May 11th 2012 9:39 am

Hey.

I began my apprenticeship in July 2006 and got put forward early for my trade test in the march of 2010. My completion certificate says April 2010. Which would be 3 years 9 months.

I got granted my artc. So don't stress. Providing he has excellent references and verified copies of every piece of evidence imaginable he can get it.

derren7 May 12th 2012 6:47 am

Originally Posted by mashup (Post 10054212)
Hey.

I began my apprenticeship in July 2006 and got put forward early for my trade test in the march of 2010. My completion certificate says April 2010. Which would be 3 years 9 months.

I got granted my artc. So don't stress. Providing he has excellent references and verified copies of every piece of evidence imaginable he can get it.

I stand corrected

mashup May 12th 2012 7:09 am

Originally Posted by derren7 (Post 10055957)
I stand corrected

Said the man in the orthopaedic shoes

mashup May 12th 2012 7:11 am

Originally Posted by derren7 (Post 10055957)
I stand corrected

Said the man in the orthopaedic shoes

I reckon this guys issue is the dual trade. I'm a straight up electrician with good references and some quals on top of my trade. Not massively experienced but happy to admit that and maybe that's what they went for. It's a grey area with dual trades, I have a mate at home who is in a managerial role with. Dual trade and makes a shitload, but not many contracting companies would enploy him.