Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Help, looking for work in Melbourne.!!!!

Help, looking for work in Melbourne.!!!!

Old Jun 22nd 2013, 4:46 am
Just Joined

Jamieon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help, looking for work in Melbourne.!!!!

Hi everyone, I am looking for work in Melbourne at the moment. It seems to me that there doesn't seem to be much happening and would be great full if someone could give me contacts of company's or something. I done my OTSR and have my restricted workers license. Money is getting tight and I'm worried that if I can't get work soon ill have to go home.!!!
Please someone give me advice on what to do or have any other options on what to do...
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 5:01 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help, looking for work in Melbourne.!!!!

Originally Posted by Jamieon
Hi everyone, I am looking for work in Melbourne at the moment. It seems to me that there doesn't seem to be much happening and would be great full if someone could give me contacts of company's or something. I done my OTSR and have my restricted workers license. Money is getting tight and I'm worried that if I can't get work soon ill have to go home.!!!
Please someone give me advice on what to do or have any other options on what to do...
Hi Jamie,

I did a quick search on seek for trade assistant, and there's one there with ilite electrical (http://www.seek.com.au/job/24737013). I was given the advice of looking for employers advertising direct, and not through agencies who screen you out if you are not an exact match, and to send CV's to local electrical contracting companies. Someone else also advised making friends with local electrical wholesalers who know all the tradies in their area, and who might need a hand.

What type of electrical work are you looking for? Have you done gap training yet? Have you got a good cv?
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 5:56 am
Just Joined

I just applied for it there now thanks but I have already applied for loads of jobs on seek and haven't even got an interview. I also have put an ad on gumtree in hope that a contractor would contact me. Apart from one or two people ringing for me to do shitty jobs that wouldn't be worth my while still nothing. I went onto the ETU website and got numbers/emails of contractors and forwarded on my CV. Is it really that quiet, seems to me that it's nearly as bad as Recession Ireland at the moment. It wouldn't bother me as much if I hadn't of left a full time job at home with great money. I will go the some of the wholesaler a next week and maybe put up a poster or something. I'm only qualified since early this year but have Great experience, I've worked in Regional hospitals, clinics, Irish Aviva stadium, Amazon & IBM data halls/offices, Pfizers pharmetcuetical plant and other small projects.. No I haven't done any gap training yet because I can't find employer so it's like I've just hot a dead end!!!!
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 6:20 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

I just applied for it there now thanks but I have already applied for loads of jobs on seek and haven't even got an interview. I also have put an ad on gumtree in hope that a contractor would contact me. Apart from one or two people ringing for me to do shitty jobs that wouldn't be worth my while still nothing. I went onto the ETU website and got numbers/emails of contractors and forwarded on my CV. Is it really that quiet, seems to me that it's nearly as bad as Recession Ireland at the moment. It wouldn't bother me as much if I hadn't of left a full time job at home with great money. I will go the some of the wholesaler a next week and maybe put up a poster or something. I'm only qualified since early this year but have Great experience, I've worked in Regional hospitals, clinics, Irish Aviva stadium, Amazon & IBM data halls/offices, Pfizers pharmetcuetical plant and other small projects.. No I haven't done any gap training yet because I can't find employer so it's like I've just hot a dead end!!!!
Hi Jamie,

I haven't found a job yet either but we've only been here a couple of months. I have gap training booked with PEER in Adelaide starting next month, and if I'm still struggling to find work, they have said that they might be able to help so that I can get the log book done. I have at least had a couple of interviews, and calls about a few others but no job yet. I do industrial maintenance and control work, but also have mechanical skills and a longer history. I'm here on state sponsored visa so limited to SA for the time being but if you are not restricted to Melbourne, maybe looking elsewhere may give you more options.

Did you also apply for the solar installer role?
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 7:01 am
Just Joined

Hi sparles,
I might contact peer and look into about doing the gap training. To be honest at the moment I am more concerned about running out of money and having to go home. How are you surviving over here without a job for this long?? Yes I have applied for anything I possibly can find on the web.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 7:13 am

Hi sparles,
I might contact peer and look into about doing the gap training. To be honest at the moment I am more concerned about running out of money and having to go home. How are you surviving over here without a job for this long?? Yes I have applied for anything I possibly can find on the web.
We're here on PR visas, and I knew it might take time to find a job so have enough savings for a while. If you are really struggling to find elec work, why not try for any job just to have money going in the bank - retail, cafe's, etc. I also had a very good job in the UK before we left, and hammered the OT last year. They gave me a career break to be able to come over and see if I can make it work over here.

What visa are you on?
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 7:40 am
Just Joined

Cool Re: Help, looking for work in Melbourne.!!!!

Ohright very good, I'm only over here on a working holiday visa. I'm looking for regional work on farm ect. it seems difficult to find that to but I guess I'm just going to have to keep looking. I'm staying in hostels so your money doesn't last very over here, just hope I find something soon because I don't want to go home.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 8:52 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Can you not try another state? Like NSW. Loads of construction going on here. Melbourne is a prick to get a job. I know. I was there in 1998 and they wouldn't touch me as i had no licence or was in the union. Came to Sydney and had a job within a few days.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 10:55 am
mcv
Forum Regular

mcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nice

Hi all,
Im here in Melbourne too,im an A grade sparkie,did the peer course s few years ago.Ive had a few jobs since being here (nearly 4 yrs).Melbourne is dead for electrical work at the moment.Ive applied to probably 25 jobs this year,had a few interviews.The trouble is that for every job advertised on seek 150-200 people apply,then they interview 12 guys,just takes lots of luck to be the lucky one.
Its just the same as the uk,its who you know not what you know.
Im just working sub contract atm,with plenty of gaps.
not ideal
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

jimcz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I was given the advice of looking for employers advertising direct, and not through agencies who screen you out if you are not an exact match, and to send CV's to local electrical contracting companies. Someone else also advised making friends with local electrical wholesalers who know all the tradies in their area, and who might need a hand.
Useful tips, thanks.

Btw, I don't think you should limit your options on one state just because you got sponsorship from them. If you really can't find work there, nobody can resent you moving to another state to survive...
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 11:53 am
Just Joined

Yeah seek just seems to be a waste of time and it really is who you know not what you know. I first went to Brisbane for 5 weeks and had no luck up there either, I obviously picked the two worst places to find work sparking. With funds getting low now my options are restricted, I think ill just try stick it out here for another bit and hopefully something will come up. The whole new gap training thing really is making it tough on us overseas sparks to get work over here. Employers just aren't interested in you unless you have your A grade..
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 12:04 pm
mcv
Forum Regular

mcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nice

Things might pick up after the financial year ends on 30th june,either that or when the election is over later in the year.as i said i'm finding it hard to get work and i'm an A grade!
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

Yeah heard things slow down a bit at the end of the financial year. Hopefully I pick up something soon anyway, I just have to keep positive and applying for jobs. If anyone hears of anything don't be afraid to let me know I'd appreciate anything at all.... Living the dream apart from being unemployed.!!!!!
Old Jun 23rd 2013, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by jimcz
Useful tips, thanks.

Btw, I don't think you should limit your options on one state just because you got sponsorship from them. If you really can't find work there, nobody can resent you moving to another state to survive...
I know I can ask the state to let me move, but I'm getting responses to my applications at the moment so will give it a bit longer - 2 months really isn't that long to be looking, especially as the first month I was concentrating on sorting out home and stuff. If you have sponsorship, and are considering changing state, I would always advise speaking to them first.
Old Jun 23rd 2013, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Deyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really nice

Yeah heard things slow down a bit at the end of the financial year. Hopefully I pick up something soon anyway, I just have to keep positive and applying for jobs. If anyone hears of anything don't be afraid to let me know I'd appreciate anything at all.... Living the dream apart from being unemployed.!!!!!
Maybe you should consider moving to WA.

http://australia.infomine.com/career...lled.jobs.aspx

As you can see on the link almost 80% of the jobs are in WA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.