Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

help for kiwi sparky in canada please!!

help for kiwi sparky in canada please!!

Old Apr 13th 2009, 8:26 pm
i want to go to canada

preludefan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default help for kiwi sparky in canada please!!

hi all, ive been browsing a few sites latley looking for information about moving to canada and getting registered as a sparky over there, i am looking to emigrate permanantly and get my interprovintal ticket, and was wondering if the good people on this site could help me out with a few pointers-

first and foremost, im a young fella, 25 and keen to head over to canada, as ive now become fed up with new zealand and am looking for a change to better suit my lifestyle and that of my future familys, i am registered as an electrician here in nz and have a broard range of experience from servicing appliances/ power tools to street mains underground trenching to domestic and commercial work with pleanty of industrial maintainance work and am currently studying plc programming (just got my feet wet with that bit).

i currently work as an industrial sparky, retrofitting new switchboards fitted with single and three phase rcds (and testing for correct operation and compliance)in shopping centres around the auckland area and am looking to continue in the same or similar line of work in canada.

i have a few questions for those that have had the patience to read this far:

im keen on moving to the atlantic area as it looks like a nice place to buy a house on some decent land for less than a kings ransom, is there alot of work in this area?
if i have to go elsewhere for a while i dont mind as currently its all a big adventure to me so any info on the current sparkie hotspots would be greatly appreciated!

am i better to have a job before i head over?

also what is the best road to go down when taking the conversion exam?

if anyone can shed any light on this it would be great, i am very new to this, i need all the help i can get and have not been to canada before but i have family from over there who are living in nz and i cant wait to travel over and start working with the big boys!

thanks in advance!

mike
Old Apr 19th 2009, 3:05 pm

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: help for kiwi sparky in canada please!!

Hi Mike

We are in alberta, you will need to challenge the red seal exam and prove that you have 9000hrs in the trade after you qualified.......
not sure where you are heading, but if you put in google - international electrician and then the area that you are looking at, then it may help answer some questions

If you need any info on alberta, feel free to yell

LB
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 8:56 pm
i want to go to canada

preludefan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: help for kiwi sparky in canada please!!

yeah thanks, id be real keen to hear about your area, as im keeping an open mind- my original plan was to to to new brunswick but ill take what i can get!
any help would be great!

thanks!