Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

help / info needed from uk sparkies in aus

help / info needed from uk sparkies in aus

Old May 22nd 2007, 10:06 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default help / info needed from uk sparkies in aus

Hi there I received an email yesterday asking the following
Questions and I thought that as this were very very relevant I’d post my reply
Names etc have been removed as I haven’t asked the writers permission and it would be plain rude of me to post without having done so

I would also like some of you guys already here to put your views forward I have mine but you may see things differently

The email

Hi Steve
We are a little concerned as i guess everyone is on the finances etc. We earn between us in uk xxxxxx a year which sounds a lot but with mortgage ,childcare and general living it soon goes. I know oz wages are less which is where we are a little worried. We will have around xxxxx to bring with us and know that living expenses, rent and car etc will come out of this budget to start off with. I suppose that’s why the sooner you start earning the better it is all round.
What are your findings in relation to what you earn a week and what you can afford in real terms for a mortgage as well as living expenses (sorry to be nosey) e.g you can afford a xxxxxx mortgage as well as run a car and bills etc. Are the wages for Electricians enough to support this type of living debt bracket or do i need to lower our mortgage lending down. Is it possible with the wife working to sustain this type of debt bracket or have you found that wages are not suitable to give us the type of home we would love to own in the xxxxxx. With house prices soaring in Perth etc i would hate to find Brisbane or the areas around it follow suit just as i arrive but thats the gamble i suppose.
I know after reading threads in general that people find it hard on the finances side and that is what we are prepared for as well as starting at the bottom job wise. But if Electricians pay is really bad and the wage with wifes wage means we still cant support ourselves in order keep our head above water we would have to sit down and have a good long chat.
Sorry to drag this on Steve and ask a lot of questions but i would rather listen to someone first hand who is an Electrician and there already working and living to the oz way of life for there honest answers and opinions.
I suppose i am at the stage of the process where nerves and becoming scared comes into it again.
Anyway any info would be really appreciated

1) Whats the average electricians wage in oz in Brisbane an hour etc
2) Is there a lot of job opportunities
3) Is there standard of work as bad as people say
4) Any tips on where to go or who to approach to look for work

1) What’s the average electricians wage in oz in Brisbane an hour etc

Whilst on a "training permit" 22-25 dollars an hour
With your licence 29-35 dollars an hour now if you worked in the UK on JIB rates ( as most do ) its actually very slightly more than the equivalent uk rate
jib £12.58 that’s approved 2007 rate
aus say $30 equates at the moment to £12.60
so if you can survive at home then i cannot see why not here,
your food bill will be lower well ours definitely is,
running a house is lower again for us,
cars are cheaper and petrol is the equiv of 42p a litre

what’s higher?
broadband access bloody slow and bloody expensive
and as yet we cannot get it as technology has yet to catch on
foreign holidays I guess goes without saying, but there’s a whole new country I haven’t seen yet over here so if we visit one states capital a year that’s the next six years taken car of

Once you have the licence yes the whole place and I mean everywhere I’ve visited from Cairns down to the south side of Sydney is one giant building site, there are no ( to my knowledge ) sparkies out of work

However whilst on a training permit you may find it difficult some have some haven’t I guess that ones the luck of the draw

One point that came up whilst I was looking for work was
“we cannot afford to have someone hold your hand whilst your doing your aussie wiring rules course” – the training work permit stipulates that you have to be supervised whilst on temp permit and may employers mine included thought that this was the same as an apprentice ie constant
Supervision
its not
I took along an exert from the qld electrical safety act 2002 which stated that the level of supervision required for “trainees” (thats us to whilst on a temp permit) was relevant to the trainees skills
See enclosed

CODE OF PRACTICE
E L E C T R I C A L W O R K E L E C T R I C A L S A F E T Y A C T 2 0 0 2
ELECTRICAL SAFETY OFFICE

(3) The level of supervision required under subsection (2) must be
appropriate, having regard to –
(a) the type of electrical work performed; and
(b) the adequacy of the training person’s training; and
(c) the competency of the training person.

(4) In this section –
“training person” means a person who is undertaking, but has not
finished –
(a) an apprenticeship under the Training and Employment Act
2000, in a calling that requires the person to perform electrical
work; or
(b) a training program approved by the chief executive that
requires the person to perform electrical work.

Supervision means the overseeing of workers, including trainees and
apprentices, to ensure risks to people and property are eliminated or at
least minimised. While a supervisor may perform audits, auditing should
not be seen as interchangeable with supervision.
Supervision of electrical work includes:
✱ Health and safety matters;
✱ Statutory compliance e.g. what work an apprentice or restricted
electrical worker is permitted to perform;
✱ Technical aspects e.g. compliance with AS/NZS 3000; and
✱ Implementation of a safe system of work.
✱ Generally, the two distinct styles of supervision are described as:
✱ Direct supervision means supervision occurs at all times on a direct
and constant basis; and
✱ General supervision means supervision where the worker does not
require the constant attendance of the supervisor.

I`m sure it was this that swung my job application my way !!

From what I’ve seen to date so its my personal experience as a qualified spark and qualified electrical inspector a definite YES

If your in qld I can point you in the right direction for licensing etc
As to getting a job I have one or two contacts now but obviously it would be up to do they need any more sparkies and your location in qld apart from that your down to the local papers, seek.com etc

Good luck and if you need anymore info just ask

Regards Steve

So Guys its open to comment and your experiences
Hopefully you will all help
Old May 22nd 2007, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help / info needed from uk sparkies in aus

Here's my (and hubby's) opinion

1 - In South Australia anything from $25 to $35 per hour.

2 - There is loads of work for Electricians, both domestic and also maintenance.

3 - Well put it this way, in our house the neutral wires are wired into the same connection as the live and the earth wire is not connected

4 - There are about 15 jobs advertised in the paper every Saturday. A good CV and a licence will get you work no problem.

It is possible to get your licence within a few months here, but getting work will be almost impossible without a licence.

My Oh's earning are nearly as much as he earned in the UK (going by exchange rate of 2.50) and it seems to go a lot further.

As a percentage of wages our food bills are cheaper, petrol is MUCH cheaper (but my OH doesn't travel all that far to work, as we made the decision we would live where the work was instead of getting a beach front house).

Gas/Electricity is the same amount in dollars as the UK ones were in pounds (ie: £250 pounds per quarter for electric in the UK, and $250 for it here)

Internet, I get 2gb for $39 a month (plus 4gb from 12am to 12pm) which isn't that bad if you don't download a lot. It is slower than the UK though.

Phone bills are about $65 a month for landline and $15 - $20 a month for mobiles. I also spend about $50 every 6 months on calling cards to ring the UK.

Our mortgage is $804 a fortnight, we borrowed $225k.

I can't think of anything else just now.
Old May 23rd 2007, 12:29 pm
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
Names etc have been removed as I haven’t asked the writers permission and it would be plain rude of me to post without having done so

I would also like some of you guys already here to put your views forward I have mine but you may see things differently

The email

Hi Steve
We are a little concerned as i guess everyone is on the finances etc. We earn between us in uk xxxxxx a year which sounds a lot but with mortgage ,childcare and general living it soon goes. I know oz wages are less which is where we are a little worried. We will have around xxxxx to bring with us and know that living expenses, rent and car etc will come out of this budget to start off with. I suppose that’s why the sooner you start earning the better it is all round.
What are your findings in relation to what you earn a week and what you can afford in real terms for a mortgage as well as living expenses (sorry to be nosey) e.g you can afford a xxxxxx mortgage as well as run a car and bills etc. Are the wages for Electricians enough to support this type of living debt bracket or do i need to lower our mortgage lending down. Is it possible with the wife working to sustain this type of debt bracket or have you found that wages are not suitable to give us the type of home we would love to own in the xxxxxx. With house prices soaring in Perth etc i would hate to find Brisbane or the areas around it follow suit just as i arrive but thats the gamble i suppose.
I know after reading threads in general that people find it hard on the finances side and that is what we are prepared for as well as starting at the bottom job wise. But if Electricians pay is really bad and the wage with wifes wage means we still cant support ourselves in order keep our head above water we would have to sit down and have a good long chat.
Sorry to drag this on Steve and ask a lot of questions but i would rather listen to someone first hand who is an Electrician and there already working and living to the oz way of life for there honest answers and opinions.
I suppose i am at the stage of the process where nerves and becoming scared comes into it again.

With your licence 29-35 dollars an hour now if you worked in the UK on JIB rates ( as most do ) its actually very slightly more than the equivalent uk rate

what’s higher?
foreign holidays I guess goes without saying, but there’s a whole new country I haven’t seen yet over here so if we visit one states capital a year that’s the next six years taken car of

Once you have the licence yes the whole place and I mean everywhere I’ve visited from Cairns down to the south side of Sydney is one giant building site, there are no ( to my knowledge ) sparkies out of work

However whilst on a training permit you may find it difficult some have some haven’t I guess that ones the luck of the draw

“we cannot afford to have someone hold your hand whilst your doing your aussie wiring rules course” – the training work permit stipulates that you have to be supervised whilst on temp permit and may employers mine included thought that this was the same as an apprentice ie constant
Supervision
its not
I took along an exert from the qld electrical safety act 2002 which stated that the level of supervision required for “trainees” (thats us to whilst on a temp permit) was relevant to the trainees skills
See enclosed

CODE OF PRACTICE
ELECTRICAL SAFETY OFFICE

(4) In this section –
finished –
work; or

and constant basis; and

From what I’ve seen to date so its my personal experience as a qualified spark and qualified electrical inspector a definite YES

As to getting a job I have one or two contacts now but obviously it would be up to do they need any more sparkies and your location in qld apart from that your down to the local papers, seek.com etc

Regards Steve

fair dinkum. im pleased i came over when i did. no forums,no seminars, just some place i wanted to have a look at.if you try and look at every possible aspect of emigrating i reckon your doomed. take a punt!
Old Jun 5th 2007, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

tony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nice

what aussies know about sparking can be enscribed on the side of a peanut with a bolster chisel
Old Jun 5th 2007, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

philthesparks is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, reading the info you guys are posting is a great help but can anyone tell me more about getting the licence, and if it can be obtained in the uk, many thanks
Phil
Old Jun 6th 2007, 4:44 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philthesparks
Hi all, reading the info you guys are posting is a great help but can anyone tell me more about getting the licence, and if it can be obtained in the uk, many thanks
Phil
do a search on here mate there will be a raft of info
Old Jun 6th 2007, 11:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philthesparks
Phil

Can't help until we know which state you are going to
Old Jun 6th 2007, 7:42 pm
Worongary

Originally Posted by Wendy
Can't help until we know which state you are going to
wendy, is your crystal ball at the menders again
Old Jun 6th 2007, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

wendy, is your crystal ball at the menders again

I think I lost it
Old Nov 14th 2007, 9:45 am
Just Joined

karan is an unknown quantity at this point

The email

Hi Steve

what’s higher?

Supervision
its not
See enclosed

CODE OF PRACTICE
ELECTRICAL SAFETY OFFICE

(4) In this section –
finished –
work; or

and constant basis; and

Regards Steve

Hi steve o neww to forum not quite sure how to use it properly yet, but read one of ur threads where you helped someone with there cv and now I can't find it again. Was just wondering if I too could be cheeky and ask for your help as I don't want to fall at first hurdle but not quite sure what there looking for! My husband is applying as a general electrician. look forward to hearing from you.
Karan

Last edited by karan; Nov 14th 2007 at 9:47 am. Reason: not enough info
Old Nov 14th 2007, 7:03 pm
Worongary

Originally Posted by karan
Hi steve o neww to forum not quite sure how to use it properly yet, but read one of ur threads where you helped someone with there cv and now I can't find it again. Was just wondering if I too could be cheeky and ask for your help as I don't want to fall at first hurdle but not quite sure what there looking for! My husband is applying as a general electrician. look forward to hearing from you.
Karan
here you go

if you need any help just ask

regards steve
Old Nov 16th 2007, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

jamiefrod will become famous soon enoughjamiefrod will become famous soon enough

Just thought i'd mention this as it might help someone, I was offered an electricians job with a company that also installed panels and instrumentation without a licence. They said I could do all the 24v and instrumentation wiring while i waited for my licence. Thought that was a pretty handy loop hole
Old Nov 16th 2007, 6:41 pm
NO1SPARKY!

martin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud of

here you go

if you need any help just ask

regards steve

Cheers steve

gave me a few ideas

Mart
Old Nov 17th 2007, 8:40 am
Just Joined

karan is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers steve, really glad I stumbled onto this site. As I was beginning to pull my hair out at first hurdle.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:27 am
Account Closed

Leccy-Lee is an unknown quantity at this point

Not hijacking thread, but i am in NZ which use the same wiring rules as Oz (well almost identical). I like somebody above spent 4yrs as an NICIEC inspector in the UK and am shocked at some of the testing etc.

And there standard of wiring i would have to say isn't a patch on our UK standards, especially when it comes to testing. Most guys i met here dont even own a tester (usually a cheap dick smith multimeter is all) never heard of a loop tester and i have heard "completion certificate? Nah there overated"

Even doing the Regs course here in NZ, the regs dont even ask for much in the way of testing, just some pretty basic tests, it all seems a little lax and carefree to me! I quote course "to test an RCD, a tester could be used if you have access to one, else pressing the test button to check operation will suffice" !! Blimey, its only a mechanical button not an actual test of the RCD.

And was told to test polarity at incomer by using a screwdriver shoved in the ground and then do a volt reading to main earth terminal to see if its correct ( a fair test sure, but a croc clip on an old screwdriver??! )

Is it just here in NZ, or does Oz have such lax attitude to testing etc?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.