Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Has Oz still got as much to offer for electricians?

Has Oz still got as much to offer for electricians?

Old Jan 24th 2010, 8:40 am
Just Joined

lauandiainiow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Has Oz still got as much to offer for electricians?

Hi - I just want opinions really please from people doing or have done, the more I read about us moving over, the more I'm beginning to wonder if the ship has sailed. We soooo want to go, but before we start to spend out and apply for skills assessment etc.. I want to be sure that we can make it in my husbands trade. If we go out (obviously I now know this could be a few years off now) I just don't want us to really struggle to get work, the point is to better our quality of life, not make it harder. Don't get me wrong, I know it won't be all plain sailing and it is a long drawn out expensive process, but we will jump through any hoops to make a happy life for us and our 2 children. We are hoping to go to the southern area of Perth. Any experiences welcomed??
Old Jan 28th 2010, 9:04 am
s**t rolls down hill

sparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Has Oz still got as much to offer for electricians?

Originally Posted by lauandiainiow
Hi - I just want opinions really please from people doing or have done, the more I read about us moving over, the more I'm beginning to wonder if the ship has sailed. We soooo want to go, but before we start to spend out and apply for skills assessment etc.. I want to be sure that we can make it in my husbands trade. If we go out (obviously I now know this could be a few years off now) I just don't want us to really struggle to get work, the point is to better our quality of life, not make it harder. Don't get me wrong, I know it won't be all plain sailing and it is a long drawn out expensive process, but we will jump through any hoops to make a happy life for us and our 2 children. We are hoping to go to the southern area of Perth. Any experiences welcomed??
has the boat sailed? that is a very good question. compared to when we came out three years ago it may have, but then again it had probably sailed for us compared to people that came out 3 years before us and the next one may be sailing without you on it, so it's probably not as easy as the question sounds.
there arent as many jobs around at the moment as there was 3 years ago but thats the same as pretty much any where in the world, but having said that i personally think australia is the best place to sit it out for now, but thats not the situation that your in. you need to be looking at least 12 months down the line as if you decide today to come its going to take at least that before your here and as you say could well be nearer 2 years. so whats the situation going to be like in 2 years, better than it is now i would think, so it may be a very good time to be applying for a visa if you qualify as you have to remember that any "in demand list" etc are always reactive, so there is already a shortage before the trade goes on the list. so in 2 years i wouldnt be surprised if it turned out to be a good move, however thats only my thoughts and it wouldnt be the first time ive been wrong
asfor a better life, i think so, the wifes not convinced yet. is it better for the kids? better life yes, education i would say not.
so as for the discission of weather you come or not, thats up to you. my advise listen to what people say on hear, read the stories of why people decide to go back to the uk and be very sure of why you want to come think realistisly of what your going to leave behind as you have to remember that when you first arrive you know nobody and have you entire life to set up again when you arrive and you dont have mum and dad for baby sitting when you want a night out. that might seem obvious but just think how small things like that are going to affect your lives.
anyway, hope that helps, all the best sparks