Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

A Grade License required for Melbourne job

A Grade License required for Melbourne job

Old Oct 17th 2011, 10:39 am
Just Joined

MartitoMelbourne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A Grade License required for Melbourne job

A company is considering me for a position in Melbourne but have asked me how long I think it will take me to get an A Grade Electical License?

I am currently in the UK.

I am the holder of an ENS121 Visa where my my original nominated position was for an 2128-15 Electrical Technologist where my UK BTEC HND was assessed by Engineers Australia. Can I use this to bypass the need to do the TRA ARTC application and go straight into studying the wiring rules course?

The only reason for asking is that my current employer in the UK is not going to be very happy when I ask for a reference/description of my current duties etc for the TRA assessment!!!

I understand the companies position in Australia, not wanting to considering me for the position, however with the job market in the UK not being great at the minute I don't want to risk losing the job I have on the chance of being considered for the Aus one.

Any advice would be great.

Martin
Old Oct 17th 2011, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of
Default Re: A Grade License required for Melbourne job

Originally Posted by MartitoMelbourne
A company is considering me for a position in Melbourne but have asked me how long I think it will take me to get an A Grade Electical License?

I am currently in the UK.

I am the holder of an ENS121 Visa where my my original nominated position was for an 2128-15 Electrical Technologist where my UK BTEC HND was assessed by Engineers Australia. Can I use this to bypass the need to do the TRA ARTC application and go straight into studying the wiring rules course?

The only reason for asking is that my current employer in the UK is not going to be very happy when I ask for a reference/description of my current duties etc for the TRA assessment!!!

I understand the companies position in Australia, not wanting to considering me for the position, however with the job market in the UK not being great at the minute I don't want to risk losing the job I have on the chance of being considered for the Aus one.

Any advice would be great.

Martin
Hi Martin,
As far as I'm aware, and I could be wrong, you would need to get an ARTC in order to undertake the required gap training for an A grade licence, as it is a trade licence and thus Trades Recognition Australia would need to assess your skills. It may be worth contacting Engineers Australia to clarify though.
Seemingly, a Victorian licence is the hardest to obtain of all the state licences as there are many more assessments to do as well as 12 months of 'on the job gap' training.
It may be worth asking your potential employer if they're prepared to employ you with another state licence (which they are legally allowed to do), say a West Aus or South Aus as these are relatively easier to obtain.
Regards Derren
Old Oct 17th 2011, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

Hi Derren,

Thanks for replying to my question, I have emailed Engineers Australia to see if there is anything they can do to help?

Where you talk about having another states license, would this be achieved via the PEER route once I hopefully get a thumbs up from the ARTC and does it matter whether you get the Fitters or Mechanics outcome from the ARTC? From what I understand there is only one type of electrical license in SA and all you need to do is sit the wiring rules course once you get the ARTC?

Martin
Old Oct 18th 2011, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MartitoMelbourne
Hi Derren,

Thanks for replying to my question, I have emailed Engineers Australia to see if there is anything they can do to help?

Where you talk about having another states license, would this be achieved via the PEER route once I hopefully get a thumbs up from the ARTC and does it matter whether you get the Fitters or Mechanics outcome from the ARTC? From what I understand there is only one type of electrical license in SA and all you need to do is sit the wiring rules course once you get the ARTC?

Martin
Hi Martin,
Yes, that's correct, SA doesn't make the distinction and has only one class for a full licence. Under the terms of mutual recognition you should be able to apply for a VIC licence with an SA licence but the VIC licencing board, along with QLD, are not issuing licences to SA licence holders who have obtained their licences via the PEER route, but your potential employer in VIC are allowed to employ you on an SA licence.
Also, later this year State licences are being phased out and national licences will be issued instead.
Regards Derren
Old Oct 25th 2011, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

MartitoMelbourne;

if you don't have the TRA you wont get on any courses in Melbourne its as simple as that,apply to TRA get the electrical mechanic cert. you cannot get the full license until your in Australia, when here you go to the local tafe (College) do the top up course about 12 weeks x 1 night per week when you pass that you can then do the the mandatory exams to gain the A class unrestricted license in Victoria. then if you want to be self employed you must do the electrical contractors course again 1 x night per week x 12 weeks.

you can however go to PEER in SA with your TRA cert do there 5 x day x 8 hour per day course when you pass that the same day you go to the licensing office in SA get your full license they post to your home address in about 10 days, Victoria do recognise this PEER A class license, BUT then if you want to do the contractors course in Vic you have to do all the Vic exams, so for the A class unrestricted license PEER is OK, if you then want to work for yourself you have to do the whole exams in Vic, so you must then decide is it worth going to PEER if you intend to work for yourself down the track.

this info i got direct from ESV last week on the phone.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

callum1205 is an unknown quantity at this point

spoke to kate from peer, and she told me there are issues now with transferring sa licenses to victorian licenses.they are telling students this who have this plan to transfer licenses.
apparently esv think the peer route is a shortcut and is not suffiecent for a victorian license.she told me both states are trying to sort it out but it will be a long legal battle.
under mutual recognition victorian employers cannot turn a sa licensed electrician down for a job, but if he has a choice between a victorian or sa license he will hand the job to the victorian spark.
this was my intended route but after the call from kate who is very helpful, our plans are up in smoke.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

allum1205;
Not quite so regarding your plans up in smoke mate, i have some news for you. call Kate again at PEER tell her you have been in contact with Arthur from Melbourne we are friends.

Now then i had a chat to ESV last week & asked them what the score is regarding a electrician from the UK who has the TRA Electrical Mechanic cert.
& has done the PEER course in SA. Now his words are this, they Recognise the PEER A class license from SA. (great) you can transfer the SA license to Victoria. (Great) don't forget this info is 7 days old that's all.& you get the full A class license unrestricted. so you can work as a electrician on all 230V & 415V installations unsupervised (Great).

BUT if you then decide work for yourself then you must do the electrical contractors course as you would have to in all states in Australia.

The problem then is the PEER license becomes void & you would have to do all VIC exams again & i can tell you they are a nightmare.

so in a nutshell if your working for a company then do the PEER & transfer the license immediately from SA to VIC, if you intend to be self employed then don't do the PEER you shall be wasting your money.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

hello pom from oz,
can i have youe email address.we were in touch about a year ago about licenses but lost your address.
thanks for this info,you may have put the fire oot!!!
i will phone esv in the morning.i got my visa through vetassess trade test and i should not mention this to them.is this wise.i have an artc as an elec mechanic from tra though cannot get it as i am not in oz yet
Old Oct 25th 2011, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

Hi All,

Thanks for your comments.

I emailed ESV last week and this is the reply i was given:-

You are correct ESV do not accept the pathway from South Australia as indicated.

As for PEER they are yet to get back to me!!!!! I spent over 2 hours last week calling them until 2am in the morning here, the receptionist was lovely and due to the number of times she tried to put me through to someone called Peter we are now on first name terms. In the end she gave me his email address not that he has bothered replying yet.

It's a shame really that no one seems to have consistant answers, be it PEER or the ESV or people on several forums I have read. Perhaps we should approach the ESV to declare on there website just exactly what there do and do not accept with regards to licenses from other states, via the PEER route or not.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

thought this was the case as so many were going this route and esv didnt like it.i am going to phone tomorrow to hopefully clear it up.
i was on esv website earlier and it clearly states if you have an artc as an electrical mechanic you can sit 2 assessments LEA and LET.one is theory the other practical.once these are completed they give you license.before the assessments you can go on short courses to get ready for the assessments.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

callum1205;
i shall email you mate, there is no point in telling ESV about the VET they have no interest in that i can assure you. the TRA can & should sent the elec mechanic cert to your home address in the UK

art