Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

getting a qld electrical licence

getting a qld electrical licence

Old Jan 26th 2009, 7:16 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default getting a qld electrical licence

once in qld you apply to the electrical safety office for an electrical licence
http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/electrica...seas/index.htm
and
http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/pdf/eso/o...nce_form11.pdf

note the osrt and artc certificates are both accepted as proof as an overseas trained electrician

this will get you a permit to train valid for 12 months, which means you have to get a job working under the supervsion of an australian licenced electrician

you now need too complete the electrical course qld 39093 electrical installation inspection and testing, the course works through the au wiring standards as:nz3000 2007 showing how they work out maximum demand, volt drop etc as part of the course your required to complete a log book showing the type of work done each job been countersigned by your supervisor

once the course is complete ( time varies between tafe being the slowest as courses are run around a school term timetable and private rto`s where you do the course work in your own time and attend the rto for additional help if needed or just for the exams if confident ) you sit your exam
the exam consists of three written sections theory ( max demand VD equations etc ) regulations - you have to quote the correct regs to the question asked and you do get to take the regs book into the exam and finally inspection the last part being multi choice tick box jobby

once the written bits over its on to the practical and what they are looking for is a safe method of working so its check all you test gear against a known sourse, test, disconnect check instruments again test again they arnt looking for who can dress in a cable the best its all about safety, you`ll do various tests visual, insulation resistance etc then test agin and re-energise the circuit,

once youve completed the tests and gained a satisfactory result the rto will issue there own certificate a statement of attaiment in qld 39093 direct to the safety office ( you will also get a copy )
once the rto issues the safety office with the attainment your full licence is issued ( within two weeks )

where to do the course
personally i`d reccomend qet
http://www.qet.edu.au/ because a its qucker than tafe and b its a small company run by chris who`s ex tafe ex electrical safty office and knows the system inside out, you can allways go via tafe but be prepared to wait untill feb to start the course which runs till late july so if you arrive in say april may its a long wait for the next course

tafe link
http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/electrica.../rto/index.htm

hope this helps

regards steve
Old Jan 26th 2009, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

jonnyd is on a distinguished road
Default Re: getting a qld electrical licence

hi steve'o do you know how this would affect someone coming over on a working holiday visa? can they re-apply for another one after the 12 months or is it possible to sit the course on this type of visa?
Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:17 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonnyd
hi steve'o do you know how this would affect someone coming over on a working holiday visa? can they re-apply for another one after the 12 months or is it possible to sit the course on this type of visa?
as far as i`m aware you carnt apply for a licence or a wiring course without an artc or ostr cert
Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

sandals is just really nicesandals is just really nicesandals is just really nicesandals is just really nicesandals is just really nicesandals is just really nicesandals is just really nicesandals is just really nice

Originally Posted by steve`o
once in qld you apply to the electrical safety office for an electrical licence
http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/electrica...seas/index.htm
and
http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/pdf/eso/o...nce_form11.pdf

note the osrt and artc certificates are both accepted as proof as an overseas trained electrician

this will get you a permit to train valid for 12 months, which means you have to get a job working under the supervsion of an australian licenced electrician

you now need too complete the electrical course qld 39093 electrical installation inspection and testing, the course works through the au wiring standards as:nz3000 2007 showing how they work out maximum demand, volt drop etc as part of the course your required to complete a log book showing the type of work done each job been countersigned by your supervisor

once the course is complete ( time varies between tafe being the slowest as courses are run around a school term timetable and private rto`s where you do the course work in your own time and attend the rto for additional help if needed or just for the exams if confident ) you sit your exam
the exam consists of three written sections theory ( max demand VD equations etc ) regulations - you have to quote the correct regs to the question asked and you do get to take the regs book into the exam and finally inspection the last part being multi choice tick box jobby

once the written bits over its on to the practical and what they are looking for is a safe method of working so its check all you test gear against a known sourse, test, disconnect check instruments again test again they arnt looking for who can dress in a cable the best its all about safety, you`ll do various tests visual, insulation resistance etc then test agin and re-energise the circuit,

once youve completed the tests and gained a satisfactory result the rto will issue there own certificate a statement of attaiment in qld 39093 direct to the safety office ( you will also get a copy )
once the rto issues the safety office with the attainment your full licence is issued ( within two weeks )

where to do the course
personally i`d reccomend qet
http://www.qet.edu.au/ because a its qucker than tafe and b its a small company run by chris who`s ex tafe ex electrical safty office and knows the system inside out, you can allways go via tafe but be prepared to wait untill feb to start the course which runs till late july so if you arrive in say april may its a long wait for the next course

tafe link
http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/electrica.../rto/index.htm

hope this helps

regards steve
Hi Steve'o - a fantastic post mate!!

Im a qualified sparky moving to Brisbane in October 09. Put my qualifications through TRA and was accepted. General Electrician [4311-11]. Any advice on my next step?? Everyone seems to have a different answer so it does get a bit confusing! Thanks
Old Jan 26th 2009, 10:38 pm
Worongary

Originally Posted by sandals
Hi Steve'o - a fantastic post mate!!

Im a qualified sparky moving to Brisbane in October 09. Put my qualifications through TRA and was accepted. General Electrician [4311-11]. Any advice on my next step?? Everyone seems to have a different answer so it does get a bit confusing! Thanks
so do you have a tra acceptance or an artc ??
Old Jan 27th 2009, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

sandals is just really nicesandals is just really nicesandals is just really nicesandals is just really nicesandals is just really nicesandals is just really nicesandals is just really nicesandals is just really nice

Hi Steve'o!

Cheers for getting back to me! Wasnt expecting a reply so soon as Im operating on UK time - good stuff mate!

Yeah, I only have a TRA pass not the ARTC. But took your advice, set my alarm clock and phoned the TRA. The guy at the TRA was very assuring. Told me 100% that I have to now go through the ARTC process, then on arrival to Brisbane I can book in my college courses/exams.
Very frustrating how the TRA and the ARTC dont go hand in hand. Feels like ground hog day looking at these forms again (kept all the info gathered though). Gonna be positive and crack this out!!!

Out of curiousity I've been checking out job opertunities. It looks quite promising even in the current climate. Would be great to hear from an expat sparky on how you find the trade work out there? And what is a realistic anual income for a Qld sparks, as I read many different ammounts that are probably exagerated after a few bevies? Understand if thats too much information to give away though!

Cheers for your willingness to help mate its been much appreciated!!!!
Old Jan 27th 2009, 8:42 pm
Worongary

Originally Posted by sandals
Hi Steve'o!

Cheers for getting back to me! Wasnt expecting a reply so soon as Im operating on UK time - good stuff mate!

Yeah, I only have a TRA pass not the ARTC. But took your advice, set my alarm clock and phoned the TRA. The guy at the TRA was very assuring. Told me 100% that I have to now go through the ARTC process, then on arrival to Brisbane I can book in my college courses/exams.
Very frustrating how the TRA and the ARTC dont go hand in hand. Feels like ground hog day looking at these forms again (kept all the info gathered though). Gonna be positive and crack this out!!!

Out of curiousity I've been checking out job opertunities. It looks quite promising even in the current climate. Would be great to hear from an expat sparky on how you find the trade work out there? And what is a realistic anual income for a Qld sparks, as I read many different ammounts that are probably exagerated after a few bevies? Understand if thats too much information to give away though!

Cheers for your willingness to help mate its been much appreciated!!!!
the quickist route then would be to get your artc done whilst in the uk
( download the form and use a mates australian address as they wont post an artc overseas ) then do your licence via peer.com.au in adelaide you can do the course work via distance learning and only attend the tafe for the refresher and exams ( about three days ) do a search on here for peer as loads of people have succesfully used this route

regards steve
Old Jan 28th 2009, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

cybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by steve`o
the quickist route then would be to get your artc done whilst in the uk
( download the form and use a mates australian address as they wont post an artc overseas ) then do your licence via peer.com.au in adelaide you can do the course work via distance learning and only attend the tafe for the refresher and exams ( about three days ) do a search on here for peer as loads of people have succesfully used this route

regards steve
Do you have a link where to find the forms to apply for ARTC. We are in the same situation - have got the TRA electricians visa but need to get ARTC. We are moving in March 09 and would like to get this part sorted before we get to Oz
Old Jan 28th 2009, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Huggkat is just really niceHuggkat is just really niceHuggkat is just really niceHuggkat is just really niceHuggkat is just really niceHuggkat is just really niceHuggkat is just really niceHuggkat is just really niceHuggkat is just really nice

Steve 'o,

Thanks for the informative post. One quick question:-

How easy do you think it would be for my hubby to get a job working under supervision once in qld?

You see, he seems very reluctant to move over without securing a job first and from searching websites all the available jobs appear to want a full qld licence!

Of course, the licence people don't want to issue a permit until he has a start date for a job so that he has the full 12 months allowed for the permit - we seem to be going around in circles with this one, or are we missing something??

I'm moving out in April to start my new job and am hoping he may just take the plunge and come out with me but he's not really one for taking risks!

Any help/advice with this one would be appreciated.

Kat xx
Old Jan 28th 2009, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

leeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really nice

Originally Posted by cybie
Do you have a link where to find the forms to apply for ARTC. We are in the same situation - have got the TRA electricians visa but need to get ARTC. We are moving in March 09 and would like to get this part sorted before we get to Oz

have a look here - http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...cationForm.htm

should find all the info and forms you will need.

lee.

Last edited by leeob77; Jan 28th 2009 at 4:56 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

Hey Cybie,

I,ve been picking Steve'o brain too, had some cracking tips!
Im in the process of filling in my ARTC at the moment. Go to www.workplace.gov.au and click on option 2.
If you have photocopied and kept your TRA application then you will find this a breeze!!

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 28th 2009, 8:05 pm
Worongary

to read

http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...nresidents.htm

form

http://www.workplace.gov.au/NR/rdonl...m10Dec2008.pdf
Old Jan 28th 2009, 8:30 pm
Worongary

Originally Posted by Huggkat
Steve 'o,

Thanks for the informative post. One quick question:-

How easy do you think it would be for my hubby to get a job working under supervision once in qld?

arh ha the $64K question and honestley i dont know,
i applied for 2 jobs approx 2 yrs ago and was offered both, since then i`ve started working for myself subbying mostley for the company that use to employ me, of the local electricans that i know and i do know quite alot some are on temp licenecs some are on full and all are working, from what i can gather speaking to others its just a bit more difficult

You see, he seems very reluctant to move over without securing a job first and from searching websites all the available jobs appear to want a full qld licence!

lets be honest the chances of securing a job without even a temp licence from the other side of the world are zero, having ran my own company for 20 yrs i wouldnt even look at an application on this basis,
you have to be here knocking on doors visiting sites and meeting people face to face, now having said that the positive side is that i dont know of any sparks that are currentley unemployed i do know a few that have had to knock on several doors but there is still work out there

Of course, the licence people don't want to issue a permit until he has a start date for a job so that he has the full 12 months allowed for the permit - we seem to be going around in circles with this one, or are we missing something??

youve lost me here they issue the licence within 4 weeks of applying regardless of your employment situation, the 12 months is for you to get the wiring course done, if in 12 months you havnt completed the course they will extend it for another 12 months

I'm moving out in April to start my new job and am hoping he may just take the plunge and come out with me but he's not really one for taking risks!

Any help/advice with this one would be appreciated.

Kat xx
hope the above helps
i`m told that sometimes i come across as quite blunt but its better than sugar coating it

bes regard steve
Old Jan 29th 2009, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

hunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the rough

of the local electricans that i know and i do know quite alot some are on temp licenecs some are on full and all are working,

Hi Steve,
All except me mate, offered job mid December and still waiting for a start date. Applying for other jobs now!.
Dave.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Chris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant future

me neither, been round every site i pass in gold coast, rang/e-mailed loads from yellow pages apply to all that appear on net and still no luck, am i doing something wrong !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.