British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   Getting an Australia Electrical License in the UK ?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/getting-australia-electrical-license-uk-628636/)

JenJen Sep 1st 2009 7:33 pm

Getting an Australia Electrical License in the UK ??

My husband has heard that it maybe possible to get an electrical license before emigrating to Australia.

He had a job working in Sydney, but was told he did not need a license their because he was working with others who had one.

This time when we return he would like to have his own license as this will open more job opportunities. He has worked as an electrical engineer since 1992 working in Printing and food manufacturing companies.

We plan to live in Brisbane if this makes any difference to the license he requires.

Just wondering if we can speed up the process for getting a license before we arrive ????

isr999 Sep 1st 2009 7:40 pm

Re: Getting an Australia Electrical License in the UK ??

evening are you applying for a 176 ???, any info you have about the licence would be good.

isr999

JenJen Sep 1st 2009 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by isr999 (Post 7894936)
evening are you applying for a 176 ???, any info you have about the licence would be good.

isr999

176? do you mean visa or license?

I don't have any info regarding the license being done in the UK hence the reason for me starting this thread !!!!!!!!!!

isr999 Sep 1st 2009 8:21 pm

Sorry I meant visa, are you being assessed by TRA or vetassess ?? for your visa ??.

isr999

The_Pom_From_Aus Sep 2nd 2009 4:52 am

JenJen;

he wont get an electrical license at all from the UK he must be living here & do the australian test

JenJen Sep 2nd 2009 7:09 am

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus (Post 7896145)
JenJen;

he wont get an electrical license at all from the UK he must be living here & do the australian test

Well thats what we were setting up for - but have been told recently it's changed and you can do it in the UK - just can't find any onfo on it????
Was wondering if anyone knew anything ???

Sorry I meant visa, are you being assessed by TRA or vetassess ?? for your visa ??.
We have visa's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Huggkat Sep 24th 2009 9:25 am

Originally Posted by JenJen (Post 7896304)
Well thats what we were setting up for - but have been told recently it's changed and you can do it in the UK - just can't find any onfo on it????
Was wondering if anyone knew anything ???

We have visa's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi JenJen,

Your husband has to be resident in Australia before being able to get a licence. My husband and I moved out here (Brisbane) earlier in the year (he came in June), he got his provisional licence soon after arriving, then booked onto the course to do his wiring regs, then started looking for jobs to be able to do the practical side of his course. His course runs until Christmas by which time he will then get his full licence. This seems to be the preferred route in Queensland.

Kat xx :)

steve`o Sep 24th 2009 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by JenJen (Post 7894915)
My husband has heard that it maybe possible to get an electrical license before emigrating to Australia.

He had a job working in Sydney, but was told he did not need a license their because he was working with others who had one.

This time when we return he would like to have his own license as this will open more job opportunities. He has worked as an electrical engineer since 1992 working in Printing and food manufacturing companies.

We plan to live in Brisbane if this makes any difference to the license he requires.

Just wondering if we can speed up the process for getting a license before we arrive ????

so are coming over on yours or your husbands visa ? and what type/class of visa is it ?

JenJen Sep 24th 2009 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by steve`o (Post 7962103)
so are coming over on yours or your husbands visa ? and what type/class of visa is it ?

Other than my daughter we have visa's PR ENS121 based on hubby's skills... there are no restrictions on the visa so my hubby can work and live anywhere in Oz

Jen

Dale_the_sparky Feb 21st 2010 6:55 am

Hi, I came over here in October 2009 just gone.

Let me tell you, the licensing laws are a farse!

It's two separate things getting your actual immigration passed on having electrical qualifications in the UK and assessed via Vetassess etc, but to obtain a Queensland contractors license is a joke.

1> They don't recognize UK qualifications,even if someone tells you they do!

2> I had a nightmare with it, to be told that the easiest way to get a license would be to go to 'Taife' - or college as we know it and re-sit the course here, to their standards.

3> I worked for a company here for a couple of months until license checks were carried out, and they are dead keen on making sure everyone has one, and most places won't hire you without it.

4> It's really hard to find a job here, especially in Brisbane.

5> I was told be the Licensing office in QLD i couldn't apply for it until i was a resident for a year? Although i have found no evidence to prove that is true online.

I was forced into doing low grade demeaning jobs and getting electrical work through word of mouth, as all aussies love a quick cash job, although that never solves the problem in the long run.

6> The biggest point of all after my experience with trying to obtain my golden ticket into 'Willy Wonkers' factory was, here in Australia, it's no joke that they are twenty years behind the times here. Their wiring standards are poor, the materials are very cheap n nasty, safety is compromised alot and they use alot of old techniques etc. IF THEY SPENT THE SAME AMOUNT OF TIME FANNYING ARROUND WITH GETTING THIS SORTED THAN REFUSING TO LICENSE 'QUALITY BRITISH' TRADIES THEN IT WOULD BE A SAFER PLACE!

Sounds like im having a rant, but when you speak to Licensing to be told by some snotty admin staff that couldn't wire up a simple light switch never mind a new consumer unit

'Well do you know that electricity can kill?' That's why we take licensing seriously. It does kinda make you feel patronized !

Good luck with it all, keep at them because they don't know there arse from there ear hole : )

steve`o Feb 21st 2010 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Dale_the_sparky (Post 8361867)
Hi, I came over here in October 2009 just gone.

Let me tell you, the licensing laws are a farse!

It's two separate things getting your actual immigration passed on having electrical qualifications in the UK and assessed via Vetassess etc, but to obtain a Queensland contractors license is a joke.

1> They don't recognize UK qualifications,even if someone tells you they do!

2> I had a nightmare with it, to be told that the easiest way to get a license would be to go to 'Taife' - or college as we know it and re-sit the course here, to their standards.

3> I worked for a company here for a couple of months until license checks were carried out, and they are dead keen on making sure everyone has one, and most places won't hire you without it.

4> It's really hard to find a job here, especially in Brisbane.

5> I was told be the Licensing office in QLD i couldn't apply for it until i was a resident for a year? Although i have found no evidence to prove that is true online.

I was forced into doing low grade demeaning jobs and getting electrical work through word of mouth, as all aussies love a quick cash job, although that never solves the problem in the long run.

6> The biggest point of all after my experience with trying to obtain my golden ticket into 'Willy Wonkers' factory was, here in Australia, it's no joke that they are twenty years behind the times here. Their wiring standards are poor, the materials are very cheap n nasty, safety is compromised alot and they use alot of old techniques etc. IF THEY SPENT THE SAME AMOUNT OF TIME FANNYING ARROUND WITH GETTING THIS SORTED THAN REFUSING TO LICENSE 'QUALITY BRITISH' TRADIES THEN IT WOULD BE A SAFER PLACE!

Sounds like im having a rant, but when you speak to Licensing to be told by some snotty admin staff that couldn't wire up a simple light switch never mind a new consumer unit

'Well do you know that electricity can kill?' That's why we take licensing seriously. It does kinda make you feel patronized !

Good luck with it all, keep at them because they don't know there arse from there ear hole : )

so dale am i right to assume that you have your electrical licence now?
and are considering or in the process of doing the contractors licence ?

Dale_the_sparky Feb 21st 2010 7:12 am

Originally Posted by steve`o (Post 8361880)
so dale am i right to assume that you have your electrical licence now?
and are considering or in the process of doing the contractors licence ?

I have been told by QLD Licensing that i cannot apply for this until 11th October 2010. As soon as that date comes, by sure i will be first in line with a big smile on my face and my tool bag in hand:thumbup:

steve`o Feb 21st 2010 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Dale_the_sparky (Post 8361906)
I have been told by QLD Licensing that i cannot apply for this until 11th October 2010. As soon as that date comes, by sure i will be first in line with a big smile on my face and my tool bag in hand:thumbup:

which one?

edit

having read that back agian

i assume you mean the contractors licence
as some one in the licencing dept has given you the its 12 months between elecrical licence and contractors licence line
which is true but only to a point
the reason this was brought in was to stop newly qualified lads going straight from electical mech to contractors without any real experiance, if your a bit older and have an odd grey hair or two they ignore this and issue you your contractors once you have completed the course, seeing as your already in brissie i`d recommend that you speak with chris at qet
http://www.qet.edu.au/
chris is a font of knowledge on these matters as he is ex electrical licencing, ex electrical inspector and ex tafe lecturer ( very clever lad ) he runs both electrical mech and contractors course via home study ( i did both with him ) and i only had my mechs licence for about 4 months when i applied for the contractors

like i said give him a ring and i`m sure he will point you in the right direction

good luck

regards steve

Dale_the_sparky Feb 21st 2010 8:32 am

You should get pid $150 000 a year to work for Licensing Steve, they could use a guy like you! Your info was very helpful and finally im getting somewhere.

Cheers pal.:thumbsup:

JenJen Feb 21st 2010 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Dale_the_sparky (Post 8362018)
You should get pid $150 000 a year to work for Licensing Steve, they could use a guy like you! Your info was very helpful and finally im getting somewhere.

Cheers pal.:thumbsup:

You've all been very helpful - if we can't get out in time to accept Mr JenJen's job in NSW we'll be heading to Brisbane

greg123 Feb 22nd 2010 8:26 am

Can someone please clarify the rules for the contractors licence.I have my qld licence (just).But on the application form for the contractors licence the business person has to have 5 years business experience.As i did not have my own company in the UK does this mean i have no chance for the contractors licence
Cheers Greg

The_Pom_From_Aus Feb 22nd 2010 9:03 am

greg123;

why dont you phone them & ask them what the score is tell them you worked for a company for xxx amount of years. im sure there are loads of people in the same boat as you mate.

the idea of this course is to show students what is involved in running a business, this means its for people starting there own business.???

Arthur

is you search for a bloke called Stev'O on here he lives in QLD he is very good as Steve he shall give you really good info.

steve`o Feb 22nd 2010 9:59 am

Originally Posted by greg123 (Post 8364328)
Can someone please clarify the rules for the contractors licence.I have my qld licence (just).But on the application form for the contractors licence the business person has to have 5 years business experience.As i did not have my own company in the UK does this mean i have no chance for the contractors licence
Cheers Greg

no if you can proove 5 yrs experiance ( i did via my accountants in the uk )
this just means you dont have to do the whole of the contractors course

no experiance and your doing all the modules ;)

give chris a ring ( see post 13 on previous page ) and if your happy with his help enroll for the contractors course its far quicker than doing it at the local tafe

just my opinion mate ;)

good luck

steve

The_Pom_From_Aus Feb 22nd 2010 11:24 am

steve`o;

well done mate i thought you would give the man the info he needs, Hey my mate works in Manchester & he was telling me there is no bloody work at all there now for sparks.??