British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   Gap training in brisbane (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/gap-training-brisbane-830555/)

Living dreams Apr 6th 2014 3:47 am

Gap training in brisbane

Hi all, I have passed my OTSR and have my provisional licence, I have work and the visa isn't a problem, I need to now do my gap training, I have found out that QET do the training I need, but it's in the region of $4000 to do it, has anyone else done gap training and can help out before I pay and find out there was other options that we're cheaper

steve`o May 7th 2014 3:25 am

Re: Gap training in brisbane

Originally Posted by Living dreams (Post 11206328)
Hi all, I have passed my OTSR and have my provisional licence, I have work and the visa isn't a problem, I need to now do my gap training, I have found out that QET do the training I need, but it's in the region of $4000 to do it, has anyone else done gap training and can help out before I pay and find out there was other options that we're cheaper

qet have been the best option for quite a while,
chris ( qet ) is really helpful and will if needed spend extra time in order to get you through the system hes ex elec inspector tafe lecturer and electrical safety officer, he knows the system inside out and a good guy to have on your side should the safety office start playing silly buggers which has been known

regard steve

weegogs May 10th 2014 12:15 am

Originally Posted by Living dreams (Post 11206328)

I got the same OTSR which enabled me to get a restricted licence but decided to get SA licence then transfer it to QLD. It involves applying to Trade Recognition Australia(TRA) for an Australia Recognized Trade Certificate(ARTC) then sit Australian wiring rules in Adelaide(as3000), once you get your AS3000 cert and your TRA cert you can apply for your SA licence(no gap training required), once you get SA licence you can transfer it for a QLD licence by mutual recognition. cost of TRA is about $900 not sure the cost to sit AS3000 you can either book into a 3 week course in Adelaide or do it distance learning and just do the 1 day in Adelaide for the exam

old.sparkles May 10th 2014 1:58 am

Originally Posted by weegogs (Post 11254359)
I got the same OTSR which enabled me to get a restricted licence but decided to get SA licence then transfer it to QLD. It involves applying to Trade Recognition Australia(TRA) for an Australia Recognized Trade Certificate(ARTC) then sit Australian wiring rules in Adelaide(as3000), once you get your AS3000 cert and your TRA cert you can apply for your SA licence(no gap training required), once you get SA licence you can transfer it for a QLD licence by mutual recognition. cost of TRA is about $900 not sure the cost to sit AS3000 you can either book into a 3 week course in Adelaide or do it distance learning and just do the 1 day in Adelaide for the exam

Not sure when you applied, but you cannot get ARTC now supposedly if you have OTSR

weegogs May 10th 2014 7:18 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 11254438)
Not sure when you applied, but you cannot get ARTC now supposedly if you have OTSR

Hi mate, ortc was awarded to you as part of your emigration process this was developed so that when you arrive in oz you are able to get a restricted licence straight away and so be able to obtain work, this was put in place because the older method meant that when you arrived in oz you were not able to work straight away and people were running out of money etc before they were eligible to work, however it looks good on paper but in reality it's very difficult to obtain a job with a restricted license,and then you've got to do gap training and so on. So if you visit the artc website you will see you can apply for a tra if you are living in oz and need to have your trade recognized, forget the ortc it was just a part of the emigration process, now you are here the artc is still the quickest and cheapest method of gaining a full licence

old.sparkles May 10th 2014 7:21 am

Originally Posted by weegogs (Post 11254559)
Hi mate, ortc was awarded to you as part of your emigration process this was developed so that when you arrive in oz you are able to get a restricted licence straight away and so be able to obtain work, this was put in place because the older method meant that when you arrived in oz you were not able to work straight away and people were running out of money etc before they were eligible to work, however it looks good on paper but in reality it's very difficult to obtain a job with a restricted license,and then you've got to do gap training and so on. So if you visit the artc website you will see you can apply for a tra if you are living in oz and need to have your trade recognized, forget the ortc it was just a part of the emigration process, now you are here the artc is still the quickest and cheapest method of gaining a full licence

If you visit the TRA site you will see that you cannot apply for ARTC if you have not completed the requirements of the OTSR - http://www.tradesrecognitionaustrali...igibility.aspx

To be granted an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate (ARTC), you must be able to demonstrate that you:

are an Australian permanent resident or citizen, hold a New Zealand Passport, or hold a visa that allows you to temporarily reside and work in your trade in Australia

reside in Australia

have sufficient English language skills to perform the work of the trade safely in Australia

have sufficient training and experience to meet the requirements of the Criteria and Guidelines and the Tradespersons' Rights Regulation Act 1946 (the Act).

have completed the requirements of the Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR) if one has been issued to you

have undertaken all steps in the assessment process including, where applicable, a technical interview, trade test or other action requested by a LC

are currently capable of performing the work of your trade in Australia.

weegogs May 10th 2014 7:38 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 11254561)
If you visit the TRA site you will see that you cannot apply for ARTC if you have not completed the requirements of the OTSR - http://www.tradesrecognitionaustrali...igibility.aspx

HOMEProgramsAustralian Recognised Trade Certificate
PROGRAMS
Job Ready Program
457 Skills Assessment
Offshore Skills Assessment Program
Migration Skills Assessment
Migration Points Advice
Optional Skills Assessment Service
Australian Recognised Trade Certificate
Eligibility
How to Apply
Fees
Licensing
Guidelines
ARTC FAQs
Guidelines (All Programs)
The purpose of an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate (ARTC) is to recognise the holder as a tradesperson in one or more specified electrical or metal trades, and to assist with licensing and employment requirements.

The ARTC program can assess a tradesperson who:
is an Australian permanent resident or citizen, holds a New Zealand Passport or holds a visa that allows them to temporarily reside and work in their trade in Australia;
has not completed an Australian apprenticeship in that trade.

old.sparkles May 10th 2014 7:47 am

Originally Posted by weegogs (Post 11254571)
HOMEProgramsAustralian Recognised Trade Certificate
PROGRAMS
Job Ready Program
457 Skills Assessment
Offshore Skills Assessment Program
Migration Skills Assessment
Migration Points Advice
Optional Skills Assessment Service
Eligibility
How to Apply
Fees
Licensing
Guidelines
ARTC FAQs
Guidelines (All Programs)
The purpose of an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate (ARTC) is to recognise the holder as a tradesperson in one or more specified electrical or metal trades, and to assist with licensing and employment requirements.

The ARTC program can assess a tradesperson who:
is an Australian permanent resident or citizen, holds a New Zealand Passport or holds a visa that allows them to temporarily reside and work in their trade in Australia;
has not completed an Australian apprenticeship in that trade.

I'm not sure where your link is from (if it is a link) - mine is from the TRA site. Specifically eligibility - link provided but details in the quote.

weegogs May 10th 2014 8:33 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 11254583)
I'm not sure where your link is from (if it is a link) - mine is from the TRA site. Specifically eligibility - link provided but details in the quote.

Hi, yeah my link is from the tra site I went on to it after your last post, it can be a bit difficult to navigate but the same rules apply now as when I appled, I think the confusion is as regards people emigrating to oz there are two options, these are very similar but the difference being that if you are in oz on a perm res visa you can have you trade recognized if you have not done an australian apprenticeship ie forget the ortc. The other option for migrants is if you are out with oz with an ortc you can use an Aussie address bit that won't apply to you, have another look on tra website or message me and I will talk with you about the process I went through

old.sparkles May 10th 2014 9:15 am

Originally Posted by weegogs (Post 11254613)
Hi, yeah my link is from the tra site I went on to it after your last post, it can be a bit difficult to navigate but the same rules apply now as when I appled, I think the confusion is as regards people emigrating to oz there are two options, these are very similar but the difference being that if you are in oz on a perm res visa you can have you trade recognized if you have not done an australian apprenticeship ie forget the ortc. The other option for migrants is if you are out with oz with an ortc you can use an Aussie address bit that won't apply to you, have another look on tra website or message me and I will talk with you about the process I went through

I don't have a problem. I have OTSR and live in Adelaide, and working my way through the log book for the full license.

There is only one option for people emigrating to Australia as the main applicant, and that is to apply for OTSR. Once an OTSR has been issued, you cannot then apply for an ARTC until you have satisfied the criteria of the gap training.

If you are not the main applicant, then you can wait until arrival to apply for an ARTC. It is not sufficient to use someone else's address - TRA do check applications and you need to be resident in Australia with work rights.

If you suggest anything illegal, you will be banned from the site.

weegogs May 10th 2014 9:30 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 11254647)
I don't have a problem. I have OTSR and live in Adelaide, and working my way through the log book for the full license.

There is only one option for people emigrating to Australia as the main applicant, and that is to apply for OTSR. Once an OTSR has been issued, you cannot then apply for an ARTC until you have satisfied the criteria of the gap training.

If you are not the main applicant, then you can wait until arrival to apply for an ARTC. It is not sufficient to use someone else's address - TRA do check applications and you need to be resident in Australia with work rights.

If you suggest anything illegal, you will be banned from the site.

Mate, I'm not suggesting anything illegal if you are on a perm res visa in oz you 1 don't need to use anyone's address other than your own
2 if you are in oz on a perm res visa you have work rights and can apply to have your trade regognized

old.sparkles May 10th 2014 9:50 am

Originally Posted by weegogs (Post 11254664)
Mate, I'm not suggesting anything illegal if you are on a perm res visa in oz you 1 don't need to use anyone's address other than your own
2 if you are in oz on a perm res visa you have work rights and can apply to have your trade regognized

I cannot apply - it is against TRA rules as already linked.

Jezza1802 Jul 7th 2014 7:08 am

Ive registered at the Tafe for my Gap Training & wondered if anyone has any advice on where to start. I have recently obtained a job as a Trade Assistant but need to start looking into filling in my " On the job competency program"

old.sparkles Jul 7th 2014 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Jezza1802 (Post 11327828)
Ive registered at the Tafe for my Gap Training & wondered if anyone has any advice on where to start. I have recently obtained a job as a Trade Assistant but need to start looking into filling in my " On the job competency program"

Since the TAFE will sign off on your cert III, ask them what they need but take photos of the work you are doing, copies of work order's / job cards / etc and do a write up at the end of the day / week / job of what you did, where, why and what parts you used, calculations, and test results where relevant.