British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   Gap training (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/gap-training-748994/)

quid81 Feb 19th 2012 11:40 am

Gap training

Hi i completed PEER 12 months ago and have been working in queensland for 11 months, on my SA licence. All ok, now my boss wants a trip home to Macedonia. So asked me if i would go on his contractors licence as another QTP (qualified technical person). So many copies of certificates and licences were made stamped by a jp and all that. I even put in a nice cover letter about my time served in the uk and working in qld for so long.
3 weeks later queensland electrical safety office have written back..declined.
The reason was given as no evidence of Australian Gap training.
There was a big rise dependant on this licence.

So i guess i either have to go to tafe to learn how to not clip cables & not use conduit fittings, so i can stay doing shitty domestic work.

Or go to tafe and do instrument tech & go up the mines i was told with dual trade and minning induction they don't care what state your licence is!

Tony

rinkerdink Feb 19th 2012 7:54 pm

Re: Gap training

Originally Posted by quid81 (Post 9909918)
Hi i completed PEER 12 months ago and have been working in queensland for 11 months, on my SA licence. All ok, now my boss wants a trip home to Macedonia. So asked me if i would go on his contractors licence as another QTP (qualified technical person). So many copies of certificates and licences were made stamped by a jp and all that. I even put in a nice cover letter about my time served in the uk and working in qld for so long.

So i guess i either have to go to tafe to learn how to not clip cables & not use conduit fittings, so i can stay doing shitty domestic work.

Or go to tafe and do instrument tech & go up the mines i was told with dual trade and minning induction they don't care what state your licence is!

Tony

Hi tony,

Dissapointed for you but not surprised about the Qld declined result. I've thought about securing work in qld with an SA licence for years before requesting the mutual recognition to see if they have the gall to decline it, i suspect they would do but it would tell anybody who cares all they need to know about the electrical licencing system.

I'm thinking the same regarding the instrumentation side of things so any of your experiences would be a great insight to me, please do tell all...

And above all else the best of luck!

steve`o Feb 20th 2012 4:32 am

Tony

try speaking to chris at qet mate -- http://www.qet.edu.au/
i did my contractors course with him via distance learning its not hard tony

steve

Deyan Feb 22nd 2012 9:47 am

Tony

Hi,

Yes, they don't care. my workmates are from Queensland, SA and New Zealand and up here is pretty big demand for sparkies, you don't need instrumentation certificate for a good start. You can do the course while you work via on line corespondence, $600 at CET Balcatta.

Regards from Port Hedland WA