British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   Gap Training 2019 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/gap-training-2019-a-925214/)

Mikey88 May 24th 2019 9:15 am

Gap Training 2019

Hi Folks,

Finally got my successful letter outcome letter for vetassess and now looking to do my gap training. After speaking to a sparky out here who has done it he informed me that you can do it full time in 3 weeks at a institute or tafe? then just have to do 52 weeks worth of e-profiling. Can anyone clarify this?

Thanks

Mikey

old.sparkles May 25th 2019 8:54 am

Re: Gap Training 2019

Originally Posted by Mikey88 (Post 12688263)
Hi Folks,

Finally got my successful letter outcome letter for vetassess and now looking to do my gap training. After speaking to a sparky out here who has done it he informed me that you can do it full time in 3 weeks at a institute or tafe? then just have to do 52 weeks worth of e-profiling. Can anyone clarify this?

Thanks

Mikey

Sounds about right but each state has it's own requirements.

Sharkmilk Feb 3rd 2020 8:13 am

Mikey how did u get on with this?

old.sparkles Feb 4th 2020 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Sharkmilk (Post 12800732)
Mikey how did u get on with this?

I don't think he's made it to Australia yet but I could be wrong. Last post he made referred to taking IELTS to increase points to try and get an invite.

Mikey88 Feb 5th 2020 9:06 am

Hi Guys,

been here 12 month now and has it happens today i finally got my cert III, this is what you receive once you complete the gap training.

I chose a private training organisation (double the price of Tafe) rather than going to Tafe as i wanted to do block release rather than what Tafe was offering, think it was like 4 hours a week for 10 month or something.

If i was to choose any word to describe the course it would be Nightmare!! your basically doing all your exams again what you completed at the end of college plus a regs test called a Capstone.

So..
AC THEORY - DIFFICULT
DC THEORY -EASY
CAPSTONE - DIFFICULT

above are theory written and multipul choice

MOTOR TEST
PERIODIC TEST OF DOMESTIC DB WITH A NUMBER OF FAULTS ON
EARTHING INSTALL

above are the practicals i am from a commissioning background so the practicals to me was easy everyday stuff.

This was just the licence part getting your OTSR and visa to live here is also a nightmare. (i can go into this in more detail if you need to know about this let me know)

Australia are making it really difficult now for trades and the cost is so high all in all i spent this year 20,500 dollar on visa,otsr , cert III.

Also the CertIII is based around domestic electrical installs which for me was a killer has i have zero interest in house bashing.

Hope that helps if you have any question post them or DM them.

Mikey

old.sparkles Feb 5th 2020 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Mikey88 (Post 12801988)
Hi Guys,

been here 12 month now and has it happens today i finally got my cert III, this is what you receive once you complete the gap training.

I chose a private training organisation (double the price of Tafe) rather than going to Tafe as i wanted to do block release rather than what Tafe was offering, think it was like 4 hours a week for 10 month or something.

If i was to choose any word to describe the course it would be Nightmare!! your basically doing all your exams again what you completed at the end of college plus a regs test called a Capstone.

So..
AC THEORY - DIFFICULT
DC THEORY -EASY
CAPSTONE - DIFFICULT

above are theory written and multipul choice

MOTOR TEST
PERIODIC TEST OF DOMESTIC DB WITH A NUMBER OF FAULTS ON
EARTHING INSTALL

above are the practicals i am from a commissioning background so the practicals to me was easy everyday stuff.

This was just the licence part getting your OTSR and visa to live here is also a nightmare. (i can go into this in more detail if you need to know about this let me know)

Australia are making it really difficult now for trades and the cost is so high all in all i spent this year 20,500 dollar on visa,otsr , cert III.

Also the CertIII is based around domestic electrical installs which for me was a killer has i have zero interest in house bashing.

Hope that helps if you have any question post them or DM them.

Mikey

Think I prefer SA in terms of licensing - Wiring rules, some theory, Capstone test (all done over 2 weeks) - supervised license, prac experience, A Class after a little over 3 months :)

Mikey88 Feb 6th 2020 2:55 am

Hi mate,

Are you sure it is still that process down there? i did hear it used to be a lot easier down there and each state have different approaches to it. However, i was told that they are all more or less the same now. Im just glad it is done now i can concentrate on getting my instro and HA tickets sorted and back on some decent jobs.

old.sparkles Feb 7th 2020 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Mikey88 (Post 12802520)
Hi mate,

Are you sure it is still that process down there? i did hear it used to be a lot easier down there and each state have different approaches to it. However, i was told that they are all more or less the same now. Im just glad it is done now i can concentrate on getting my instro and HA tickets sorted and back on some decent jobs.

Don't know - I did mine back in 2013 but last I heard it was still the case.

Glad you're all done though and good luck with the job hunt.

Sharkmilk Feb 8th 2020 3:52 pm

Thanks for coming back Mikey.

Im waiting for me subclass 190 to process - Ive done all the assesments in the UK medical etc etc. Im 3 months into the 9-12 months processing time.
I've opt to go to NSW where ill do 2 years then I get free reign, but I get the OSTR when I land and need to do 1 year as youve stated to get the full license.

Hopefully its not overally complicated when I land to sort it, or do you know anything I can get the ball rolling once my visa lands here?
I plan to move within the month it lands, as Im single/no kids/early 30's. pretty ready to go. Im saving my back out too, trying to limit all spends here!

Damber2018 Oct 16th 2020 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by Mikey88 (Post 12802520)
Hi mate,

​​​​​Can anyone tell me the cost and process once you get out there. To get your level 3. What company do you contact ect. Sorry I'm new here!

Thankyou

old.sparkles Oct 17th 2020 12:08 am

Originally Posted by Damber2018 (Post 12922769)
​​​​​Can anyone tell me the cost and process once you get out there. To get your level 3. What company do you contact ect. Sorry I'm new here!

Thankyou

What state are you planning to travel to?

In SA you can get a supervised workers license from CBS with your OTSR, and complete gap training with PEER.

If you haven't started the process at all to getting your OTSR, you'll need to contact Vetassess, Future Skills or Victoria Uni. Cost was somewhere around $2500 for the OTSR.
Google can find you websites that will outline what documentation you need, and the various stages. If you are unsure how to proceed, the Down Under Centre in the UK are often recommended as being very helpful with the application, and arranging skills assessment (they assess under future skills). Again Google can help you find them.