Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Future Skills OTSR assessment

Future Skills OTSR assessment

Old Jul 6th 2013, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

pturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nice
Default Future Skills OTSR assessment

Hi all,

I am booked in for the end of July assessment to gain my provisional electrical license. I have been told there is an interview, theory and practical based exam. Could someone please shed some light on what to revise, brush up on or even what is involved on the day if you have already completed this?

Thank you
Old Sep 13th 2013, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

Crg316 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Future Skills OTSR assessment

Originally Posted by pturpin1
Hi all,

I am booked in for the end of July assessment to gain my provisional electrical license. I have been told there is an interview, theory and practical based exam. Could someone please shed some light on what to revise, brush up on or even what is involved on the day if you have already completed this?

Thank you
Hi mate. Was wondering how you got on with yours? I'm about to do mine and was trying to find out some info about all the questions to asked. Any chance to could give me some info? Cheers
Old Sep 14th 2013, 9:52 am
Just Joined

pturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Crg316
Hi mate. Was wondering how you got on with yours? I'm about to do mine and was trying to find out some info about all the questions to asked. Any chance to could give me some info? Cheers

Hi mate I was in the same position as you,used the forums on here and it was a massive help!there is a 3 hour written exam to start, study series and parallel circuits, capacitance,inductance, volt drop calcs. Then you do a domestic install,very easy as all the components are on the wall so you just need to wire and connect,then do a full test and inspection. Then you need to draw a DOL starter schematic with an emergency stop button and relay. I got my diagram off of this thread and it was all passed.following the schematic you need to use your drawing to wire the DOL starter on the wall,once it's tested your done.

The exam started at 8am in London for me,however I got there just gone 7 and the guy said I could start straight away if I wanted.i finished then at about 5, pretty full on day but the assessor there is brilliant,he won't give you the answer but will try and help if your stuck. As he said they're not there to fail you,they only fail you if you really don't know what your talking about.

I passed and am off Tuesday, best of luck to you and hope it goes well. Use these forums for links and tips and you will breeze it!any more questions just ask as il only be around for a couple of days now

Cheers
Old Sep 14th 2013, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

Hello mate. Cheers for that, good to know . Just a quick one is the theory also on health and saftey and is it mostly calcs? It was ages ago since i done calulations ect, do you recomend i get a book on calcs to refresh. is there any fault finding? Congrats and good luck . Cheers mate
Old Oct 18th 2013, 10:38 am
Just Joined

jjkspark is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Sorry to jump on this post but I am trying to contact Future Skills International. I have tried emailing Future Skills and calling the Australia number but I can't get through. The emails bounce back and the phone never get answered, not even a message.

Also tried down under tradies as they sent me the application form for FS, but no replies

I have all my paperwork ready but am a little apprehensive to send it as I have had no contact with them.

Has anyone got any alternative contact detail to those on the website? Did anyone else experience any porblems contacting them?

Thanks Jen
Old Oct 18th 2013, 10:46 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjkspark
Hi, Sorry to jump on this post but I am trying to contact Future Skills International. I have tried emailing Future Skills and calling the Australia number but I can't get through. The emails bounce back and the phone never get answered, not even a message.

Also tried down under tradies as they sent me the application form for FS, but no replies

I have all my paperwork ready but am a little apprehensive to send it as I have had no contact with them.

Has anyone got any alternative contact detail to those on the website? Did anyone else experience any porblems contacting them?

Thanks Jen
Probably easier to use Vetassess if you haven't started the process
Old Oct 18th 2013, 11:55 am
Just Joined

jjkspark is an unknown quantity at this point

Why Vetassess rather than FS? I have already tailored all my paperwork to the Future Skills Application.

It seems a few on here are using FS with no issues, as they have practical's booked etc. Did most use agents? I'm trying to do it direct to FS
Old Oct 18th 2013, 11:58 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjkspark
Why Vetassess rather than FS? I have already tailored all my paperwork to the Future Skills Application.

It seems a few on here are using FS with no issues, as they have practical's booked etc. Did most use agents? I'm trying to do it direct to FS
I went Vic Uni and had trouble with that - Vetassess have been in the game a long time and know what they are doing at least. I don't really know much about FS - they don't come up very often
Old Oct 18th 2013, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

Hi mate I used an agent , and had no probs. was pretty quick aswell.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 8:28 am
Just Joined

willspark is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I went Vic Uni and had trouble with that - Vetassess have been in the game a long time and know what they are doing at least. I don't really know much about FS - they don't come up very often
Hi Mate
Im doing my assessment on Monday in Vic Uni, just wondering what problem you had with them. Also if anyone has any advice on what the instructors and the exam was like that would be greatly appreciated. I havent done any motor control since i left college but im not to worried about that its more the D.C stuff that has me a bit worried, anyone know whats involved?? doing the exam in sunshine, melbourne
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by willspark
Hi Mate
Im doing my assessment on Monday in Vic Uni, just wondering what problem you had with them. Also if anyone has any advice on what the instructors and the exam was like that would be greatly appreciated. I havent done any motor control since i left college but im not to worried about that its more the D.C stuff that has me a bit worried, anyone know whats involved?? doing the exam in sunshine, melbourne
When Vic Uni originally started doing assessments, they did technical interview only, which wasn't accepted for licensing - they couldn't sort it out whilst I was still in the UK so I also did the assessment in Sunshine. The actual assessment itself was fine although I struggled on some of the leading / lagging circuit questions, but must have done okay to pass. I also found a failed transformer and damaged board that they didn't know they had, so that may have helped
Old Nov 6th 2013, 12:13 am
Just Joined

Saffer is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope its okay to join in on this thread as I am new to the site. Need assistance and advice. Our situation.. We are on a 457 visa and my husband need to do obtain an OTSR . We are not sure what to do. He applied for a TRA assessment while offshore and got the confirmation letter that his skills assessment was successful and is approved for General electrician. However we are now here in OZ and he needs to obtain the OTSR and then what ever follows after that. Does he request this from TRA o can he go though Future skills? or should he follow the TAFE route? We have been told so many different things and even phoning TRA and Trade fair got us confused he was told to apply for the provisional licence and he gave the TRA but then we got and email to say he need the OTSR We are in NSW. Your input will be appreciated thanks...im sure this is a headache for most people.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by Saffer
I hope its okay to join in on this thread as I am new to the site. Need assistance and advice. Our situation.. We are on a 457 visa and my husband need to do obtain an OTSR . We are not sure what to do. He applied for a TRA assessment while offshore and got the confirmation letter that his skills assessment was successful and is approved for General electrician. However we are now here in OZ and he needs to obtain the OTSR and then what ever follows after that. Does he request this from TRA o can he go though Future skills? or should he follow the TAFE route? We have been told so many different things and even phoning TRA and Trade fair got us confused he was told to apply for the provisional licence and he gave the TRA but then we got and email to say he need the OTSR We are in NSW. Your input will be appreciated thanks...im sure this is a headache for most people.
If your husband has had his skills assessed already, was he issued ARTC? Not everyone can obtain an OTSR - only those from certain countries.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 3:45 am
Just Joined

Saffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Old.Sparkie
He was not issued an ARTC only the TRA . Our agent in SA didn't guide us to any info of an OTSR. We are from South Africa, ( yeah I know this is a British site but you guys have plenty good info on here lol) . He did the TRA when he wanted to do skill migration but then a 457 option came up , that same TRA was used for the DIAC and was accepted. He was an electrical supervisor . Another question... he got a promotion in the meantime from supervisor to superintendant in the same line of work just more duties
but not doing the actual wiring and installations himself does he need the license? or is it required because of the trade background?
Old Nov 6th 2013, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by Saffer
Hi Old.Sparkie
He was not issued an ARTC only the TRA . Our agent in SA didn't guide us to any info of an OTSR. We are from South Africa, ( yeah I know this is a British site but you guys have plenty good info on here lol) . He did the TRA when he wanted to do skill migration but then a 457 option came up , that same TRA was used for the DIAC and was accepted. He was an electrical supervisor . Another question... he got a promotion in the meantime from supervisor to superintendant in the same line of work just more duties
but not doing the actual wiring and installations himself does he need the license? or is it required because of the trade background?
If you do not need the OTSR for migration, you can apply to TRA for ARTC, but I'm not sure if that will help with licensing. If you have a TRA assessment that must have been issued some time ago. Not sure what state you are in, but ay be worth finding an RTO near you and checking out if you can RPL to cert 3 for licensing. It's probably worth looking at getting the license - if not needed for this job, it will give him options in the future

(RTO - registered training organisation; RPL - recognition of prior learning)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.