Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Future Skills Electrical Assesment

Future Skills Electrical Assesment

Old Aug 3rd 2013, 7:48 am
Just Joined

jade_n_luke10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Future Skills Electrical Assesment

Well Colin all I can say is you must be a strong willed man and have the patients of a saint!!

I started all this in April after attending Thornlie TAFE, now sitting at just over 40% on install and cables sections of log books, the others are lagging some what, but that is with working every week Mon- Fri for the last 6 months!!
The end does not even feel remotely close and I have just heard a rumour that the next capstone isn't until next march which I hope is not true, but with the way things look that will prob be the right time after I have completed this eprofiling.
I am none the wiser on a lot of queries I have and the lectures do not have 2 seconds for you so I am pulling my hair out at the moment, and really questioning my reasons for leaving home, but hey we have invested way to much to go back so I must continue, but Colin would you mind if you have 5 just to answer a couple questions, just your the only person I have heard of that has actually completed this bulls***e!!

To everyone else considering the move do not be put off by negativity obviously everyone's situation will always be different and the quality of life for the little ones is second to none, the sun really puts a smile on your mush no matter what!! And completely my own opinion but if the right ticket of employment comes along you really can be on to a winner out here.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

colinmaclec is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jade_n_luke10
Well Colin all I can say is you must be a strong willed man and have the patients of a saint!!

I started all this in April after attending Thornlie TAFE, now sitting at just over 40% on install and cables sections of log books, the others are lagging some what, but that is with working every week Mon- Fri for the last 6 months!!
The end does not even feel remotely close and I have just heard a rumour that the next capstone isn't until next march which I hope is not true, but with the way things look that will prob be the right time after I have completed this eprofiling.
I am none the wiser on a lot of queries I have and the lectures do not have 2 seconds for you so I am pulling my hair out at the moment, and really questioning my reasons for leaving home, but hey we have invested way to much to go back so I must continue, but Colin would you mind if you have 5 just to answer a couple questions, just your the only person I have heard of that has actually completed this bulls***e!!

To everyone else considering the move do not be put off by negativity obviously everyone's situation will always be different and the quality of life for the little ones is second to none, the sun really puts a smile on your mush no matter what!! And completely my own opinion but if the right ticket of employment comes along you really can be on to a winner out here.
Yeah the whole thing is very frustrating. I now have my license but am still not having any luck regarding jobs.!!! What would you like to know? And yes i have heard the capstone is fully booked as people i have met can't get a date this year either and they have completed the logbook.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

Hey there Colin,
Very sorry for the long delay, we moved two weeks ago and only just got the net back yesterday!!

I hope the job hunting has been successful?

Thanks for agreeing to answer some questions, just the polytechnic college is pretty poor at responding, I have a few questions so just answer as many or as little as you can be bothered!

did you go through polytechnic and did you have to complete the extra assessment sheets at home?
how many hours on average per week were you completing?
I have been keeping a brief note of my daily activity but do i need to write this up neatly and sent in for auditing or did you do this?
With the comms course does that clear the elective once complete?
I have been told by eprofiling that the progress is tracked by points for the varying activities and the progress is not linked to time but i am sceptical about this as a friend has less than half the cards approved, not much in the difference of work role or activities completed but yet is clearing nearly half the amount of hours per week i am and is ahead of me on progress, I SMELL A RAT HAHA!! Whats your take on that in your experience??

Thanks again Colin, stupid questions really but would aid me greatly.

Cheers all the best,
Luke
Old Sep 6th 2013, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

colinmaclec is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jade_n_luke10
Hey there Colin,
Very sorry for the long delay, we moved two weeks ago and only just got the net back yesterday!!

I hope the job hunting has been successful?

Thanks for agreeing to answer some questions, just the polytechnic college is pretty poor at responding, I have a few questions so just answer as many or as little as you can be bothered!

did you go through polytechnic and did you have to complete the extra assessment sheets at home?
how many hours on average per week were you completing?
I have been keeping a brief note of my daily activity but do i need to write this up neatly and sent in for auditing or did you do this?
With the comms course does that clear the elective once complete?
I have been told by eprofiling that the progress is tracked by points for the varying activities and the progress is not linked to time but i am sceptical about this as a friend has less than half the cards approved, not much in the difference of work role or activities completed but yet is clearing nearly half the amount of hours per week i am and is ahead of me on progress, I SMELL A RAT HAHA!! Whats your take on that in your experience??

Thanks again Colin, stupid questions really but would aid me greatly.

Cheers all the best,
Luke
Yes i had 9 assessments to do at home and a final project that all had to be passed at 100% very time consuming as there are no 1 word answers and most require you to state the specific clause No.

I averaged about 50 odd hours a week and completed the log book in 8 months don't forget you also need to fill over 100 hrs for comms too. The testing and fault finding require far less hours than installation. As far as i am aware its pretty much time based and on 40hrs a week will take a year by the time you factor in holidays.

Yes the comms course once completed and passed will complete the elective

I never kept a note of what i done daily i just made up the logbook and put in what i needed and my employers signed it off.

As for job hunting well its a bloody nightmare! I have been trying to get in with a large company here so i can work my way up ( previously had my own company in uk with 12 sparks). But nowadays unless you have a best buddy there or 3 years previous experience working for an identical company you have no chance. Recently got laid off as my previous company has been dead for 2 months and asked if i would take extended unpaid leave to which i refused and said i will leave. Have another job to start but its a small company wanting to expand.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 1:46 am
Just Joined

Hi Colin,

Thank you for answering those question, it has put my mind at ease a little with it all, I was thinking I was lagging a little but hopefully a couple months at best and I should be sorted.

I finally got hold of TAFE and they have confirmed that there are no capstones this year as of yet but they may put another course on as the number that require it is quite high!

Well I hope all goes well at the new firm, maybe you could be the one to push things forward for them, maybe the perfect ticket.

Well thanks again and all the best!

If anyone else has questions fire away,

Luke.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 11:58 am
Just Joined

whaleshark has a reputation beyond reputewhaleshark has a reputation beyond reputewhaleshark has a reputation beyond reputewhaleshark has a reputation beyond reputewhaleshark has a reputation beyond reputewhaleshark has a reputation beyond reputewhaleshark has a reputation beyond reputewhaleshark has a reputation beyond reputewhaleshark has a reputation beyond reputewhaleshark has a reputation beyond reputewhaleshark has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Does anyone have a UK phone number for any of the Future Skills UK representatives?

I used to have "Brad's" number but it doesn't work anymore. I have the Australia office number off the website but it would be a lot easier to talk to one of the UK based guys on the phone.

Thanks!
Old Nov 11th 2013, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

Electguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys im due to do the skills assessment (electrician general) at the end of the month, has anyone here done it? If so and tips/info would be greatly appreciated as im very nervous about failing and essentially wasting $1,500

Would love to hear from anyone on this subject cheers
Old Oct 16th 2014, 1:30 am
Just Joined

Matty F is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Elecguy, how did the skill assessment go? I got mine booked up for next month??
Old Oct 16th 2014, 1:31 am
Just Joined

Matty F is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Electguy
Hey guys im due to do the skills assessment (electrician general) at the end of the month, has anyone here done it? If so and tips/info would be greatly appreciated as im very nervous about failing and essentially wasting $1,500

Would love to hear from anyone on this subject cheers
Hey Electguy, how did the skill assessment go? I got mine booked up for next month??