Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Final Hurdle - Vetassess Prac in WA.

Final Hurdle - Vetassess Prac in WA.

Old Oct 4th 2014, 5:50 am
Just Joined

rossm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Final Hurdle - Vetassess Prac in WA.

All,

Been a long time. I used to post here under another username around 2 and a half years ago but completely lost the details.

Anyway - moved to Sydney in 2010, was a TA for a year or so - done the ARTC and then the PEER Route in SA. Became licenced in SA and then NSW. Started my own business, closed that and partnered up with a more long-standing operation etc etc etc.

I am now going for PR and in order to get migration I have to do the Vetassess route - despite being licenced in two states.

I have been messed about for quite some time by them but have been booked last minute to do my exam in WA next Wednesday - flying out from Sydney on the Tuesday.

I have spent the last four hours trawling through various threads and it has been a fantastic help - however I have to admit I am struggling with certain portions of the preparations:

1) Motors.

I know absolutely nothing about them, wired one for my Trade Test back in Scotland and then may have answered on question on them in Adelaide - I have never came across one in the wild and I am completely blank.

Can someone please give me a rundown as to what exactly it is I must learn in order to pass this portion of the assessment? I am really struggling and it's causing me some stress.

DOL, Thermal Overload, Star-Delta, Overload Settings etc...

2) RMS

I'll hold my hands up here and say I'm not overly across this. If someone can explain the requirements it would be much appreciated.

3) Motors, again

Seriously - any help with motors. I know nothing and its giving me hives.

If anyone can either respond here or PM me that would be fantastic.

Glad to be back on here and if anyone has any questions for me in regards to licencing in NSW, working in NSW, the PEER route for licencing or preparation of their VETASSESS recognition assessment then please let me know.

Thanks in advance guys.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 5:57 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Final Hurdle - Vetassess Prac in WA.

Originally Posted by rossm
All,

Been a long time. I used to post here under another username around 2 and a half years ago but completely lost the details.

Anyway - moved to Sydney in 2010, was a TA for a year or so - done the ARTC and then the PEER Route in SA. Became licenced in SA and then NSW. Started my own business, closed that and partnered up with a more long-standing operation etc etc etc.

I am now going for PR and in order to get migration I have to do the Vetassess route - despite being licenced in two states.

I have been messed about for quite some time by them but have been booked last minute to do my exam in WA next Wednesday - flying out from Sydney on the Tuesday.

I have spent the last four hours trawling through various threads and it has been a fantastic help - however I have to admit I am struggling with certain portions of the preparations:

1) Motors.

I know absolutely nothing about them, wired one for my Trade Test back in Scotland and then may have answered on question on them in Adelaide - I have never came across one in the wild and I am completely blank.

Can someone please give me a rundown as to what exactly it is I must learn in order to pass this portion of the assessment? I am really struggling and it's causing me some stress.

DOL, Thermal Overload, Star-Delta, Overload Settings etc...

2) RMS

I'll hold my hands up here and say I'm not overly across this. If someone can explain the requirements it would be much appreciated.

3) Motors, again

Seriously - any help with motors. I know nothing and its giving me hives.

If anyone can either respond here or PM me that would be fantastic.

Glad to be back on here and if anyone has any questions for me in regards to licencing in NSW, working in NSW, the PEER route for licencing or preparation of their VETASSESS recognition assessment then please let me know.

Thanks in advance guys.
Sorry, but I thought that if you had ARTC and license you could take the technical interview rather than the prac

For the motors, you should know how to connect a DOL for a motor with start / stop, OL, etc - don't recall being asked to draw a star-delta.

I do remember having to do DC calcs and then prac - resistors in series and parallel, voltage, currents, etc. Was supposed to fault find on the motor circuit, but I found a problem with the transformer supplying the drive, and a problem with one of the connections so didn't have to do any other fault finding
Old Oct 4th 2014, 6:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Sorry, but I thought that if you had ARTC and license you could take the technical interview rather than the prac

For the motors, you should know how to connect a DOL for a motor with start / stop, OL, etc - don't recall being asked to draw a star-delta.

I do remember having to do DC calcs and then prac - resistors in series and parallel, voltage, currents, etc. Was supposed to fault find on the motor circuit, but I found a problem with the transformer supplying the drive, and a problem with one of the connections so didn't have to do any other fault finding
Negative. I thought that also but in order to gain PR you must carry out the practical assessment.

I believe its because the PEER Route is not equal to a Cert III. If someone has done ARTC - Cert III - Licence then its purely the Tech Interview.

Ok - I've had a look through online and here but a lot of the single lines shown appear to differ from each other slightly. Trying to ascertain which one is correct isn't easy when I know F*** all!!!
Old Oct 4th 2014, 6:07 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Negative. I thought that also but in order to gain PR you must carry out the practical assessment.

I believe its because the PEER Route is not equal to a Cert III. If someone has done ARTC - Cert III - Licence then its purely the Tech Interview.

Ok - I've had a look through online and here but a lot of the single lines shown appear to differ from each other slightly. Trying to ascertain which one is correct isn't easy when I know F*** all!!!
You need to supply power to the start - if there is more than one, they need to be in parallel. Stop buttons and the thermal OL will be normally closed and in series. This supplies the coil to the contactor which powers the motor.

To retain power, connect a NO contact on the contactor in parallel with the starts, so once the contactor pulls in, it will remain energised until a stop is pressed, or the thermal trips. The overload should be set to match the motor rating - make sure you check whether it is connected in star or delta.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 6:09 am
Just Joined

You need to supply power to the start - if there is more than one, they need to be in parallel. Stop buttons and the thermal OL will be normally closed and in series. This supplies the coil to the contactor which powers the motor.

To retain power, connect a NO contact on the contactor in parallel with the starts, so once the contactor pulls in, it will remain energised until a stop is pressed, or the thermal trips. The overload should be set to match the motor rating - make sure you check whether it is connected in star or delta.
Thank you very much. Really appreciate the help.

Absolutely smashed the PEER exams a few years back but I don't recall any Motor involvement.

Fingers crossed I get the result I'm looking for on Wednesday and I can put it all to bed!
Old Oct 4th 2014, 6:17 am

Thank you very much. Really appreciate the help.

Absolutely smashed the PEER exams a few years back but I don't recall any Motor involvement.

Fingers crossed I get the result I'm looking for on Wednesday and I can put it all to bed!
PEER would have covered the requirements of the wiring rules - so max demand, cable calcs, etc. First time I did it, there wasn't even a prac but that had all changed when I did MACGT (just got signed off for CERT III a couple of months back )
Old Oct 4th 2014, 6:19 am
Just Joined

PEER would have covered the requirements of the wiring rules - so max demand, cable calcs, etc. First time I did it, there wasn't even a prac but that had all changed when I did MACGT (just got signed off for CERT III a couple of months back )
Yeah correct. I was there 2012.

13 in the class - only 3 of us passed. They were ruthless that week. Guys just hadn't prepared though and the examiner made that clear.

I think they had read too many stories on similar sites to this saying - "don't worry, it'll be open book and the examiners are cruisey..."

Was pretty harrowing watching everyone fly back to various locations without the necessary paperwork.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 6:23 am

Yeah correct. I was there 2012.

13 in the class - only 3 of us passed. They were ruthless that week. Guys just hadn't prepared though and the examiner made that clear.

I think they had read too many stories on similar sites to this saying - "don't worry, it'll be open book and the examiners are cruisey..."

Was pretty harrowing watching everyone fly back to various locations without the necessary paperwork.
Well for Wednesday
Old Oct 4th 2014, 8:23 am
Just Joined

UPDATE:

Can someone please clarify how many of the elective sections you have to fill in?

Also - I have no experience in wiring motors out in the field - should I notate that on the document or do you have to say you have done it all?