Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Elelctrical Licence on a WHV?

Wikiposts

Elelctrical Licence on a WHV?

Old Sep 12th 2009, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

LisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to all
Default Elelctrical Licence on a WHV?

Hi all,

Relatively new to this site so please be gentle

My partner and I are in Oz on Working Holiday Visas which allow us to stay until October 2010.

My partner is a UK qualified sparky City and Guilds l3) with 8/9yrs experience including his apprenticeship.

We're exploring the possibility of him obtaining his license while onshore, however I can't find any threads from people in similar situations, they all seem to be offshore applicants or on different visas.

In hindsight this is something we should have looked into prior to leaving the UK but foolishly we listened to loads of 'you'll have no problems finding sparky work in Australia mate, crying out for sparkys etc. etc." stories, when we did realise it was too late to do anything offshore

So, I guess what I'm asking is:

1) is it possible to obtain a licence (restricted or or unrestricted') on a WHV?

2) What would the time frame/cost involved be...approx'?

3) if he was to get a licence while onshore and we had to leave oz in october 2010, if we wanted to apply for skilled migration at a later date would it help our cause etc.?

I have read up quite a bit on this but I don't feel any the wiser for it tbh and if anyone can offer any firsthand experiences/advice it would be much appreciated!!

Thanks guys

Lisa
Old Sep 13th 2009, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

LisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to all
Default Re: Elelctrical Licence on a WHV?

Can't believe noone can answer my questions

Well, I made a few calls today and I think I have a plan of action......sort of

Maybe someone could let me know if I'm the right track?........please?

1) Apply to TRA for an ARTC
2) Undertake CPR Course
3)Apply for a work training permit via ESO
4)After receiving successful ARTC (hopefully) apply to do PEER wiring regs course.....probably via distance learning/correspondence and then go to Adelaide for the 1/2 days exam
5)pass the exam(again,hopefully) apply for the licence then change the SA licence to QLD

So......... yes or no?
Old Sep 14th 2009, 3:06 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LisaIan
Can't believe noone can answer my questions

Well, I made a few calls today and I think I have a plan of action......sort of

Maybe someone could let me know if I'm the right track?........please?

1) Apply to TRA for an ARTC
2) Undertake CPR Course
3)Apply for a work training permit via ESO
4)After receiving successful ARTC (hopefully) apply to do PEER wiring regs course.....probably via distance learning/correspondence and then go to Adelaide for the 1/2 days exam
5)pass the exam(again,hopefully) apply for the licence then change the SA licence to QLD

So......... yes or no?

Pretty much nailed on with your plan, take care with the ARTC application though, once they have graded you that's it, one bite of the cherry! you want the electrical mechanic certificate preferably and you will nee to do some research so you know what elements of his exp and training to expand upon in your application.

Good luck!
Old Sep 14th 2009, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

Cheers rinkerdink! Good to know I'm on the right track.

Yeh, I'm aware that it's do or die with the ARTC.....have read all the posts with regards to the evidence and tools list etc and making sure that the evidence is largely installation focussed to get the mechanic not fitter outcome etc......just have to find the $$ to get the ball rolling now....oh and tell my OH what he's doing!!

Do you know what would happen if he was to get the licence and we went back to the uk to apply for skilled migration in the future? Would it speed up the process etc.?

Thanks
Old Sep 14th 2009, 6:22 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LisaIan
Cheers rinkerdink! Good to know I'm on the right track.

Yeh, I'm aware that it's do or die with the ARTC.....have read all the posts with regards to the evidence and tools list etc and making sure that the evidence is largely installation focussed to get the mechanic not fitter outcome etc......just have to find the $$ to get the ball rolling now....oh and tell my OH what he's doing!!

Do you know what would happen if he was to get the licence and we went back to the uk to apply for skilled migration in the future? Would it speed up the process etc.?

Thanks
Not sure but don't think so, you still need to apply to the TRA or vetassess for a skills assessment for migration purposes - the designated electrican classes are general or special class, these are only relevant for migration purposes though. But... if you aleady have an artc+licence then worst case once you have a visa you will be done, the fun starts at that stage for most as they don't bank on fannying around to get a licence once they have a visa. A migration agent will be able to offer concrete advice and probably won't charge to give you this info ina casual chat/ enquiry
Old Sep 14th 2009, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

Ok cheers, will contact an agent and ask the question once we have the ball rolling

Do you know if there are any example lists knocking about of what evidence people have sent/the style of writing for jobs undertaken etc.? I've found a couple of tool lists which will be helpful.

Being here on a WHV we're limited by time and cash so can't really afford to get rejected for lack of evidence etc.

Think I'll be the one coordinating most of this as the OH is working every hour god sends....will just have to pin him down at some point to write down all the stuff he's ever done....sure he'll love that!
Old Sep 15th 2009, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

LisaIan;

YES, but you would run out of time for your visa, then back to the Uk to start again.???
Old Sep 15th 2009, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

Hi The Pom,

OK.

Would you be able to break down the timescale for me then so I know what aspect would be slowing us down? Is it the ARTC?

Thanks,

Lisa
Old Sep 21st 2009, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

lee1284 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrician mitgrating to Oz

The Pom from Oz - you seem to be popping up quite abit as i am reading the forums, do u think you could brief me up on what i need to do as all these abbreviations etc.. are going right over my head. I have searched online and people are telling me that the JIB is not recognised over in Oz but the SJIB (scottish) is. I am an approved electrician with 2391, C&G parts I&II in electrical installations and 17th Edition. People are telling me that they go over as JIB Electricians and get graded at senior electrical installer (not even a qualified spark!!) Whats the process for all of this? can you point me in the right direction to what i need? I am currently an Electrical Supervisor for KBR,inc USA and work on MOD projects worth upwards of $80,000,000 out in Iraq and Afghan and would be a little embarrassed if i was to apply and not even be recognised as a qualified spark!!! ha! Any info from anyone else would be great too. Thanks lee
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 4:22 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

Default Re: Electrician mitgrating to Oz

Originally Posted by lee1284
The Pom from Oz - you seem to be popping up quite abit as i am reading the forums, do u think you could brief me up on what i need to do as all these abbreviations etc.. are going right over my head. I have searched online and people are telling me that the JIB is not recognised over in Oz but the SJIB (scottish) is. I am an approved electrician with 2391, C&G parts I&II in electrical installations and 17th Edition. People are telling me that they go over as JIB Electricians and get graded at senior electrical installer (not even a qualified spark!!) Whats the process for all of this? can you point me in the right direction to what i need? I am currently an Electrical Supervisor for KBR,inc USA and work on MOD projects worth upwards of $80,000,000 out in Iraq and Afghan and would be a little embarrassed if i was to apply and not even be recognised as a qualified spark!!! ha! Any info from anyone else would be great too. Thanks lee

You will unfortunately most likely go back to a 4th year apprentice status for a period of time, it seems that you can shorten the period of apprentoid status by getting the Co you work for to sign off your log book (i F@cking kid you not) once they are satisfied with your workmanship and skills (this is all after you've already been pre assessed for migration purposes). The long way takes a year of log book. It's not all doom and gloom but it is a little hard to swallow that your skills and experience don't count for much and you effectively have to prove yourself again. Good Luck, I am in the same boat BTW and it helps to have a philosophical outlook on all of it!
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 5:20 am
Just Joined

Rinkerdink, thanks for the email i appreciate it. I have not been an installations electrician for many years now, i have been a supervisor over 10 to 20 electricians for the last 5 years. I have been involved with designing jobs and ensuring that the work is installed as per the diagrams and been involved with making Technical decisions on how the job should go and before that i had my own business and basically managed electrical but did not install (as with most electricians, once we have had a few years experience we move up the ladder and start to manage jobs). If i were to have to go back to level 4 apprentice and start installing again, i may aswell choose a different career. On the application for residency i will be using my wifes application as she is a psychiatric nurse and so we could get in on hers. I believe that i would not have to sit the entry exam if we use this method. Once i am in Oz and decide to apply for Electrical Supervisor jobs, will they accept my application or will they start asking for the licence again. Do they recognise HNC too? i will also be qualified in this by the time i get to Oz. I do have a friend who owns his own business out in WA, is he able to help me do you think? I appreciate the time. thanks
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

lee1284;

as one person says on here regardless of qualifications you must do exams again your C&G will count for sod all here also your HNC is not worth a toss. i think the comment on people being classed as a 4th year apprentice is spot on.

for the application you shall be going down the Vet route even if you are coming on the wife's qualification once here if you intend to work as a spark you shall have to have your own qualifications certified, meaning test both prac & theory, however when here there is nothing stopping you from applying to the TRA for the ARTC (Australian Recognized Trade Certificate) then once you have that it makes life a little better. there is ways of getting the full electrical license very quickly.

if it was myself i would be applying to the TRA from the UK for the ARTC once you have it you can then do the short course at PEER in S/A when here.

i can only advise you stay well away from vetassess for applications for electrical its a nightmare when here, until you obtain the full electrical license its illegal to work anywhere in Australia, (A real ball ache).

if you need help just ask

ps

regarding the JIB card, the answer is YES it does count in most states, but you shall have to still do exams
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
lee1284;

as one person says on here regardless of qualifications you must do exams again your C&G will count for sod all here also your HNC is not worth a toss. i think the comment on people being classed as a 4th year apprentice is spot on.

for the application you shall be going down the Vet route even if you are coming on the wife's qualification once here if you intend to work as a spark you shall have to have your own qualifications certified, meaning test both prac & theory, however when here there is nothing stopping you from applying to the TRA for the ARTC (Australian Recognized Trade Certificate) then once you have that it makes life a little better. there is ways of getting the full electrical license very quickly.

if it was myself i would be applying to the TRA from the UK for the ARTC once you have it you can then do the short course at PEER in S/A when here.

i can only advise you stay well away from vetassess for applications for electrical its a nightmare when here, until you obtain the full electrical license its illegal to work anywhere in Australia, (A real ball ache).

if you need help just ask

ps

regarding the JIB card, the answer is YES it does count in most states, but you shall have to still do exams

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. So what you are saying is that its best for me to go on my Wifes Visa as i wont have to sit the exams for entry purposes. Once in Oz i can then work out how best to get my qualifications certified, but will have to go through the normal process same as everyone else.

What does the TRA and ARTC do? and as we all generally have the same qualifications what will they award me with? Is this the route that every brit goes through? When you say there is a quick way of getting the full electrical licence, how do i go about doing this? Firstly i need to apply for the ARTC and then once in Oz go to PEER for a short course and then thats me qualified??

When applying for jobs do they look at your date of licence and think you dont have any experience and so over look you for management positions? or once qualified they take a look at your electrical experience and off you go. Is there any predjudice against Brits in the firms over there, or do they treat all applicants the same when applying for jobs.

Thanks, i really appreciate your help on this.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 6:07 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. So what you are saying is that its best for me to go on my Wifes Visa as i wont have to sit the exams for entry purposes. Once in Oz i can then work out how best to get my qualifications certified, but will have to go through the normal process same as everyone else.
What does the TRA and ARTC do? and as we all generally have the same qualifications what will they award me with? Is this the route that every brit goes through? When you say there is a quick way of getting the full electrical licence, how do i go about doing this? Firstly i need to apply for the ARTC and then once in Oz go to PEER for a short course and then thats me qualified??

When applying for jobs do they look at your date of licence and think you dont have any experience and so over look you for management positions? or once qualified they take a look at your electrical experience and off you go. Is there any predjudice against Brits in the firms over there, or do they treat all applicants the same when applying for jobs.

Thanks, i really appreciate your help on this.
yes come over via wifes visa

tra trades regonision australia
artc australia recognised trade certificate
the tra used to do assesments for migration only ( vettesess does alot of this now )and once you were here you apply for an artc, which is required to apply for a licence

so as your coming via the wifes visa no need to go to the tra apply straight to artc
http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...nresidents.htm

once youve sorted the artc out apply to peer
http://peer.com.au/Training/Overseas...1/Default.aspx
and do the wiring rules course this can be done either at peer ( 3 weeks ) or via distance learning with 2 to 3 days at peer for exam ( 1st n 2nd day usually just checking your ready )
once youve passed ( and you will ) apply to SA electrical safey for an electrical workers licence which can be used in any state in australia allthough i would add it is probably better to apply for a licence in your own state under the mutual recognistion rules
ive added a link for the state of qld as an example ( lots of employers insist on there own states licence )
http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/electrica...tate/index.htm

whats written above is the quickest way i know of getting licenced
there are outher routes but most involve working under supervsion and filling in a log book 4 to 12 months depending on state ( i had to do this myself 2 1/2 yrs ago when i arrived in qld and it isnt easy especially at the moment whilst jobs are tight )

hope this helps regards steve

once the visa is granted your classed as an australian resident then apply to the artc as an electrical mechanic

Last edited by steve`o; Sep 23rd 2009 at 6:09 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 9:47 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

Rinkerdink, thanks for the email i appreciate it. I have not been an installations electrician for many years now, i have been a supervisor over 10 to 20 electricians for the last 5 years. I have been involved with designing jobs and ensuring that the work is installed as per the diagrams and been involved with making Technical decisions on how the job should go and before that i had my own business and basically managed electrical but did not install (as with most electricians, once we have had a few years experience we move up the ladder and start to manage jobs). If i were to have to go back to level 4 apprentice and start installing again, i may aswell choose a different career. On the application for residency i will be using my wifes application as she is a psychiatric nurse and so we could get in on hers. I believe that i would not have to sit the entry exam if we use this method. Once i am in Oz and decide to apply for Electrical Supervisor jobs, will they accept my application or will they start asking for the licence again. Do they recognise HNC too? i will also be qualified in this by the time i get to Oz. I do have a friend who owns his own business out in WA, is he able to help me do you think? I appreciate the time. thanks
Like you I have no intention of running in miles of conduit when I get there (one day!), not that there is anything wrong with that but... all my supervisory and management experience tells me the road will be alot smoother if I CAN at least walk the walk even if I dont walk it every day, this is why I am after a licence. Steve O and Pom from OZ are seasoned pro's when it comes to the system but the 'system' may change at any time so be warned. If i were you I would follow the path that SteveO has described. Get over on the wifes ticket and take it from there. Incidently I hope to perform a managerial or consultancy role on arrival but it will be a big comfort to have the trade to fall back on - unfortunately in Oz this means you must have that licence!

Again, Good Luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.