Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

electricians of the world unite

electricians of the world unite

Old Jul 10th 2006, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

supersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to all
Default Re: electricians of the world unite

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
Steve, thats some explanation my friend, in Victoria its very hard they seem to like that here you cannot move with out them watching every move.
the entire exam is different here and thats unfortunate but i do like the way you have set it all out and you have spent some time time doing so to help people, Ive been posting on here also to assist other who may have to go through all this crap

art
There is a electrician forum on here,go to the listing under working abroard and post there,its easier to keep it all together in one place,
cheers John N , Sparky extraordinarie

Last edited by supersonic4; Jul 10th 2006 at 2:37 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 3:14 pm
Ben&Jill

Ben1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the rough

Hi I don't suppose you know anything about whats involved with the licensing of a Electrical Linesperson? I'm currently working as a LSAP linesman in the UK until my visa comes then we are moving to Brisbane as I'm starting work for a company there.
Any info would be greatly appreciated
Old Jul 10th 2006, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

supersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ben1
Hi I don't suppose you know anything about whats involved with the licensing of a Electrical Linesperson? I'm currently working as a LSAP linesman in the UK until my visa comes then we are moving to Brisbane as I'm starting work for a company there.
Any info would be greatly appreciated
Doyou know what state? there are different rules depending on where you want to work?

Its Lorri now,Johns wife.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 3:20 pm
Ben&Jill

Ben1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by supersonic4
Doyou know what state? there are different rules depending on where you want to work?

Its Lorri now,Johns wife.

Brisbane in Queensland. Just trying to find out all / or any info on what to expect?
Thanks
Old Jul 10th 2006, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brisbane in Queensland. Just trying to find out all / or any info on what to expect?
Thanks
I just put the links
on to the electrician forum,under working abroard.
cheers Lorri
Old Jul 10th 2006, 4:09 pm
Ben&Jill

I just put the links
on to the electrician forum,under working abroard.
cheers Lorri

Thanks for that supersonic4
All the best Ben&Jill
I might get to look at it if the kids weren't mithering to go on the PC
karma to you
Old Jul 10th 2006, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for that supersonic4
All the best Ben&Jill
I might get to look at it if the kids weren't mithering to go on the PC
karma to you

No problem,I will always post as I get any new info,have sent off some emails to get more info.tossing up if it will be easier to go to West aust ,get licence there then under the QLD rules I can just use it as they have an agreement.
Troube is there are so many different systems over there.There is supposed to have been a big overhaul on the licencing system Australia wide,but the websites show no change in their content.
Hence me wriiting to them.
Whichever way you go,you will have to do the wiring regs and possibily other contents,which is understandable as the regs will be different.
Cheers Lorri
Old Jul 10th 2006, 6:16 pm
s**t rolls down hill

sparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jimtracey
Steve,
What is the significance in the A Class or E Class etc. electricians that I see asked for in the job adverts. Is this dependent on your score in the exam, or is it different kinds of 'sparks'. Your help in this would be appreciated
Jim
hi, as i understand it an "A Class" licences unrestricted, so you can work on what and where you want. the A Class is the industry slang for the the electrical fitters licence and as i say this is the licence you should be aiming for.
as for the "E Class" i assume that it's some sort of restricted licence so you can only work on certain aspects of the job i.e lines man, PAT testing etc. this may be the mechanics licence, this tends to be panel wirer's etc and doesn't pay as much.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 6:48 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

There is a electrician forum on here,go to the listing under working abroard and post there,its easier to keep it all together in one place,
cheers John N , Sparky extraordinarie
unfortunately john no one uses it
Old Jul 10th 2006, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steve`o
unfortunately john no one uses it
Have a look,there are posts on there.
Cheers Lorri
Old Jul 10th 2006, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

jimtracey is an unknown quantity at this point

Pom from Aus,
In what way is it different in Victoria? I am arriving in Melbourne in 6th August and plan to apply straight away, so any info would be very much appreciated.
Jim
Old Jul 10th 2006, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Steve,

thank you so much for your post, brilliant peice of work. Must have taken you ages to put it all together.

cheers
Evelin
Old Jul 11th 2006, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Matt, regardless of your current qualifications you must pass the A class license it does not matter what state you reside in, but in Victoria its the hardest to pass, the exam is a mixture of written and fault finding & testing also some installation work then there is a disconnect & reconnect of an appliance you must achieve 75% pass in all sections or you have to resit the whole lot the exam on the day takes 4 to 4 1/2 hours they arrange it so you are pulled from pillar to post, you can do a 12 week evening course at the TAFE (college) and i can recommend this or you basically dont stand much chance of passing and thats being honest, the exams are completely different from the UK so is the AS wiring rules, may i ask which state do you intend to live in

regards

Arthur
Old Jul 11th 2006, 6:22 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Jim this is the difference on the classes of license.
the A class is Unrestricted meaning you can do all electrical work unsupervised the E classification is limited and from state to state you will find the E class will only let you do certain types of electrical work.

there is only one way round it my friend you will have to sit the A class license then if you want to go self employed you will the have to do the electrical contractors course all this cost money for the
A class exam $200.00
license $250.00 per 5 years
12 week course for the A class exam $600.00
contractors course $500.00
contractors license $275.00 1 year
Insurance about $500.00 per year for 1 million insurance so its a lot of money mate but there is no way round it all.

if you dont get the A class license you wont be on top money its that simple

regards

Arthur

PS

the exam is a nightmare i can give you lots of help for that area
Old Jul 11th 2006, 7:17 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
Jim this is the difference on the classes of license.
the A class is Unrestricted meaning you can do all electrical work unsupervised the E classification is limited and from state to state you will find the E class will only let you do certain types of electrical work.

there is only one way round it my friend you will have to sit the A class license then if you want to go self employed you will the have to do the electrical contractors course all this cost money for the
A class exam $200.00
license $250.00 per 5 years
12 week course for the A class exam $600.00
contractors course $500.00
contractors license $275.00 1 year
Insurance about $500.00 per year for 1 million insurance so its a lot of money mate but there is no way round it all.

if you dont get the A class license you wont be on top money its that simple

regards

Arthur

PS

the exam is a nightmare i can give you lots of help for that area
hi arthur
i see your still helping people
good on ya mate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.