Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Electricians Vetassess questions - need help please

Electricians Vetassess questions - need help please

Old Nov 10th 2007, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

SumoRabbit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electricians Vetassess questions - need help please

Hello, all, just find this website hopefully you guys can help. We are looking at going to Oz, Perth to be exact. After looking at several agencies and finding they charge a small fotune for shuffling papers we decieded to do it ourselves. I am just looking for advice for approaching Vetassess to do the skills tests. I will applying as a General Electrician. I was just concerned over what information they would need, and also the tests. I have been through their website, but not really come up with much. Also I have been told that there are sample questions online to be found. Any help or advice would be gratefully recieved!! Although its been a while since ive had to do interviews or sit exams
Old Nov 12th 2007, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electricians Vetassess questions - need help please

SumoRabbit;

whatever test you do in the UK, you will still have to do whats called the A class license here in australia this license lets you work unsupervised for anyone if you dont get the A class license then you will only be the holder of a restricted license this means whoever you work for "Must" check all work you perform & your not allowed to work alone, even though you may have lots of experience thats the way it is sorry to say.

There are a number of exams to take from cable calcs to testing to fault finding make sure you apply for the Mechanics License this gives you full access to all work undertaken even if its industrial or commercial or domestic, the other license is the Fitters license this may restrict you to panel wiring only so make sure you apply for the Mechanic License, now then when you take the exams each one will cost money, then when you pass the A class license again money the license must be renewed every 3 years costing $275.00 at current costing's, then if you intend to work for yourself you must then do the electrical contractors course 12 weeks 1 night per week costing about $700.00 for the course then 1st year license is $250.00 then $175.00 per year after.

I would recommend you do a 12 week 1 night per week course at the Tafe (College) to bring you up to speed with all wiring rules & cable calc's also all testing you will have to be on the ball for the exams they are very stringent on the exams.

if i can be of further help please do ask.

i know you may be thinking its all money laid out 7 your right there mate.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 3:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SumoRabbit
Hello, all, just find this website hopefully you guys can help. We are looking at going to Oz, Perth to be exact. After looking at several agencies and finding they charge a small fotune for shuffling papers we decieded to do it ourselves. I am just looking for advice for approaching Vetassess to do the skills tests. I will applying as a General Electrician. I was just concerned over what information they would need, and also the tests. I have been through their website, but not really come up with much. Also I have been told that there are sample questions online to be found. Any help or advice would be gratefully recieved!! Although its been a while since ive had to do interviews or sit exams

The trouble with the Vetassess assessment is that it's very new and not a lot of people have actually done it yet, so you may find it very difficult to get an answer at the minute.

The forms you need to be concentrating on are these:

http://vetassess.com.au/download/off...and%20Info.pdf
http://vetassess.com.au/download/off...ion%20Info.pdf
http://vetassess.com.au/download/off...ion%20Form.pdf
http://vetassess.com.au/download/off...nt%20Guide.pdf
http://vetassess.com.au/download/off...lectrician.pdf

From looking at it, I'd say it's not much different to taking the TRA pre-migration assessment, so you need to include statements from your employers and yourself about what you do in your job. These need to be extremely detailed descriptions - imagine you're telling a five year old how to do your job and you won't go far wrong.

It might be worth searching the forum for posts on TRA assessments to give you an idea of what you need to include.

I know agents can charge a lot to help you with this, but if you aren't sure about what you are doing it would be money well spent. If you fail then you'd have to pay out again for another assessment, this could end up costing you more than an agent would. Many of them will help with just the assessment, then you could do the visa application yourself. Good luck whichever way you decide to go.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Wendy;

I could not have put better myself love
Old Mar 28th 2008, 7:38 pm
general electrician

shadymatt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wendy
The trouble with the Vetassess assessment is that it's very new and not a lot of people have actually done it yet, so you may find it very difficult to get an answer at the minute.

The forms you need to be concentrating on are these:

http://vetassess.com.au/download/off...and%20Info.pdf
http://vetassess.com.au/download/off...ion%20Info.pdf
http://vetassess.com.au/download/off...ion%20Form.pdf
http://vetassess.com.au/download/off...nt%20Guide.pdf
http://vetassess.com.au/download/off...lectrician.pdf

From looking at it, I'd say it's not much different to taking the TRA pre-migration assessment, so you need to include statements from your employers and yourself about what you do in your job. These need to be extremely detailed descriptions - imagine you're telling a five year old how to do your job and you won't go far wrong.

It might be worth searching the forum for posts on TRA assessments to give you an idea of what you need to include.

I know agents can charge a lot to help you with this, but if you aren't sure about what you are doing it would be money well spent. If you fail then you'd have to pay out again for another assessment, this could end up costing you more than an agent would. Many of them will help with just the assessment, then you could do the visa application yourself. Good luck whichever way you decide to go.
my self shady matt, i am from to india, i am apply to PR file in australia as a skilled general electrician, so please let me know, vetassess officer, what's will qesions me, like about general electrician, drawing, DOL STARTER, any things in practical. please reply me man.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

msrjony is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shadymatt
my self shady matt, i am from to india, i am apply to PR file in australia as a skilled general electrician, so please let me know, vetassess officer, what's will qesions me, like about general electrician, drawing, DOL STARTER, any things in practical. please reply me man.
U should read the frist thread on this forum .
Old Mar 31st 2008, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

msrjony is an unknown quantity at this point

U should read the frist thread on this forum .
Old Feb 14th 2009, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

Esthapan is an unknown quantity at this point

hi,
did u compleate ur vetassess?hw was the test?wat was the practical?
plz reply.
regards,

esthapan.

Last edited by Esthapan; Feb 14th 2009 at 3:21 pm. Reason: to shadymatt