Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Electricians In Queensland (need To Know)

Electricians In Queensland (need To Know)

Old Nov 14th 2006, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

dynamite will become famous soon enough
Cool Electricians In Queensland (need To Know)

Right guys, hopefully this will clear up any problems UK qualified electricians may have or are having with getting the dreaded electrical licence in Queensland.
Let me first point out that each state is different in its requirements for example South Australia is the easiest state to acquire a licence. All you have to do here is the wiring regulations and testing and inspection courses at your local Tafe, get your ARTC (Australian recognition Trade Certificate) from the TRA and hey you have a full electrical licence. However this licence is the only electrical licence that is not recognised by any other state. So if you decide you hate it in SA tough luck you will have to apply from scratch in which ever state you move to. Other state licences are transferable and all you will have to pay is a fee.
New South Wales I think is the hardest to get a licence purely because once you have your ARTC you then have to acquire 12months Australian Electrical experience before they will give you a licence, I also believe you have to fill out a log book and get this signed off by your current employer.
To get your ARTC you need to phone or write to the TRA in Melbourne
Address is: Trade Recognition Australia, Department of Workplace Relations, GPO Box 9879, Melbourne, Victoria, 3001.
They will send you out an application form and a few notes to help you.
Firstly make sure you have up to date references from your current employer and don't worry about getting your documents certified or getting a statutory declaration. In Australia this service is free and you can go to any solicitor, who will do this on the spot for you for FREE. Let me point out that this will be the only free thing you get, so use it.
If you have already done a TRA for migration purposes cool then all you have to do is quote the reference number you got and this ARTC is free. All other people have to pay $300 for the privilage. It takes approximately 20 days, which is not too bad but on occasions the TRA do phone you and give you an interview on the phone that can take about 30minutes. Read up on your electrical knowledge because they ask questions like:
1) How does a fluorescent light work
2) How do you convert AC into DC
3) Explain how a single phase motor works
And so on.
Once you get the certificate, take it down to your local electrical licence office who will then give you another application to fill in. But make sure you have gone to St Johns Ambulance first and taken the Cardiopulmonary Resusitation course (Cost $50) you need this too. Fill out application, they will take photocopies of your certificates and will ask you for $54. Yes more money.
You will then be issued with a Permit to work. Don't be decieved this is not a full licence, you can only work under the supervision of another electrician ( like that happens!). You know have to pay a fee to your local Tafe who will assess what modules and course exams you need to sit to be able to get your licence.

I have talked long enough if anybody wants me to continue just reply and I will carry on.
Cheers Dynamite
Old Nov 14th 2006, 4:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electricians In Queensland (need To Know)

Originally Posted by dynamite
Right guys, hopefully this will clear up any problems UK qualified electricians may have or are having with getting the dreaded electrical licence in Queensland.
Let me first point out that each state is different in its requirements for example South Australia is the easiest state to acquire a licence. All you have to do here is the wiring regulations and testing and inspection courses at your local Tafe, get your ARTC (Australian recognition Trade Certificate) from the TRA and hey you have a full electrical licence. However this licence is the only electrical licence that is not recognised by any other state. So if you decide you hate it in SA tough luck you will have to apply from scratch in which ever state you move to. Other state licences are transferable and all you will have to pay is a fee.
New South Wales I think is the hardest to get a licence purely because once you have your ARTC you then have to acquire 12months Australian Electrical experience before they will give you a licence, I also believe you have to fill out a log book and get this signed off by your current employer.
Address is: Trade Recognition Australia, Department of Workplace Relations, GPO Box 9879, Melbourne, Victoria, 3001.
Firstly make sure you have up to date references from your current employer and don't worry about getting your documents certified or getting a statutory declaration. In Australia this service is free and you can go to any solicitor, who will do this on the spot for you for FREE. Let me point out that this will be the only free thing you get, so use it.
If you have already done a TRA for migration purposes cool then all you have to do is quote the reference number you got and this ARTC is free. All other people have to pay $300 for the privilage. It takes approximately 20 days, which is not too bad but on occasions the TRA do phone you and give you an interview on the phone that can take about 30minutes. Read up on your electrical knowledge because they ask questions like:
And so on.
Once you get the certificate, take it down to your local electrical licence office who will then give you another application to fill in. But make sure you have gone to St Johns Ambulance first and taken the Cardiopulmonary Resusitation course (Cost $50) you need this too. Fill out application, they will take photocopies of your certificates and will ask you for $54. Yes more money.
You will then be issued with a Permit to work. Don't be decieved this is not a full licence, you can only work under the supervision of another electrician ( like that happens!). You know have to pay a fee to your local Tafe who will assess what modules and course exams you need to sit to be able to get your licence.

I have talked long enough if anybody wants me to continue just reply and I will carry on.
Cheers Dynamite
Just a small point, in that the South Australian unrestricted licence IS transferrable to a Queensland one. It is something we checked up on when we first arrived as we thought if we didn't settle in South Australia we would move to Queensland.

http://www.dir.qld.gov.au/electrical...htm#extlicence

If you hold one of the exact external licences listed below, you can work within the scope of that licence in Queensland without having to apply for a Queensland electrical work licence.
http://www.dir.qld.gov.au/electrical...e/index.htm#sa

Workers registration electrical "scope: any electrical work"
= Electrical mechanic (Queensland)
Old Nov 15th 2006, 10:59 am
on the Goldie

thewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond repute

And so on.

Cheers Dynamite
i dynamite
thanks for your info. i presume that you can't get "the ball rolling" in the Uk. shame really cos then OZ would get all these sparky's ready to work when they got there seeing as they are so sort of tradies but i will keep your info so MrW can get his act together in OZ
regards
Nicky
Old Nov 17th 2006, 6:54 am
Just Joined

shakatara has a spectacular aura aboutshakatara has a spectacular aura aboutshakatara has a spectacular aura about

And so on.

Cheers Dynamite
Hi there dynamite,

thanks for all that info, hubby has got his electrical permit today, and has to now enrol at our tafe on the sunshine coast queensland. do you have any idea what the course name is or reference number he has to do, how long is the course and what cost are we looking at? We are so close now, just seems its taken forever to get this far. Any info would be great. thanks alot
shakatara
Old Nov 19th 2006, 5:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakatara
Hi there dynamite,

thanks for all that info, hubby has got his electrical permit today, and has to now enrol at our tafe on the sunshine coast queensland. do you have any idea what the course name is or reference number he has to do, how long is the course and what cost are we looking at? We are so close now, just seems its taken forever to get this far. Any info would be great. thanks alot
shakatara

Have a read of this post http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...&postcount=116

May help a little
Old Nov 20th 2006, 12:08 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakatara
Hi there dynamite,

shakatara
there are two ways that i have found re electrical licencing

contact
Mr Alex Josephs at yeronga tafe
you will be invited for an interview ( costs $220 )
and he will decide what courses etc are needed
i dont know the cost of the courses through the tafe
( anyone shed some light on this bit????? )
i do know that the next course starts end of Jan start of Feb and runs about 6 months i think its every other Saturday

or call

Queensland electrical training
leven street cooper plains qld 4108
this is a private company who do to all intents and purposes a correspondence course with a final exam and practical exam at there offices
its run by an ex QLD electrical safety officer
costs $1290 inc everything this also includes if you need to go in and get some personal instruction ( say if your stuck on a particular subject )

i`ve personally gone the QET way as it would seem the quickest method of getting the full licence as you take the exam etc as and when you feel that your are competent to do so

what any more info please email me and i`ll try me best

regards Steve
Old Nov 20th 2006, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

andicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really nice

Originally Posted by steve`o
there are two ways that i have found re electrical licencing

contact
Mr Alex Josephs at yeronga tafe
you will be invited for an interview ( costs $220 )
and he will decide what courses etc are needed
i dont know the cost of the courses through the tafe
( anyone shed some light on this bit????? )
i do know that the next course starts end of Jan start of Feb and runs about 6 months i think its every other Saturday

or call

Queensland electrical training
leven street cooper plains qld 4108
this is a private company who do to all intents and purposes a correspondence course with a final exam and practical exam at there offices
its run by an ex QLD electrical safety officer
costs $1290 inc everything this also includes if you need to go in and get some personal instruction ( say if your stuck on a particular subject )

i`ve personally gone the QET way as it would seem the quickest method of getting the full licence as you take the exam etc as and when you feel that your are competent to do so

what any more info please email me and i`ll try me best

regards Steve

Hiya Steve

that's excellent stuff chap. A mine of information as usual. How you getting on and where did you settle in the end? We fly out on 9th Dec so will be there soon

Andy
Old Nov 20th 2006, 11:46 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andicee
Hiya Steve

that's excellent stuff chap. A mine of information as usual. How you getting on and where did you settle in the end? We fly out on 9th Dec so will be there soon

Andy
where abouts are you heading andy ??
Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

where abouts are you heading andy ??

North Brisbane
Old Nov 21st 2006, 6:15 am
Worongary

Originally Posted by Wendy
North Brisbane
if your going northside i suggest you contact me via email or pm me
i have the contact deatils of an electrical contractor whom is looking for an "import"

regards steve
Old Nov 21st 2006, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

andicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wendy
North Brisbane
Ahh, the old crystal ball working overtime again I see

You never know...we MIGHT go south
Old Nov 21st 2006, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

if your going northside i suggest you contact me via email or pm me
i have the contact deatils of an electrical contractor whom is looking for an "import"

regards steve
Really don't know where we are going at the moment!! I've seen some lovely places both north and south of the river. Guess that'll all go out the window when we get to see it in the flesh, so to speak. Sending you an email chap.

Andy
Old Nov 21st 2006, 8:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by andicee
Ahh, the old crystal ball working overtime again I see

You never know...we MIGHT go south

It's amazing what I remember
Old Dec 19th 2006, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

dynamite will become famous soon enough

Hi
A friend of ours who lives in SA, and has just got his license, was told that it is not transferable. If he decided to come to Queensland he would have to do the same courses as all the electricians in Qld to obtain a license.
So I suppose not transferable is the wrong word to use, it is transferable but you have to add to your resume to be issued with a Qld license. But I guess there is so much to know and every state is different, the only way you would know for sure is for a person with an SA license to try and get a Qld license.
A friend of ours who has a lines person license issued in WA had to jump through many hoops for them to transfer it to a Qld license and he was trained in Oz!
I find that if you ask 10 different Australians the same question, you will surely get 10 different answers, especially when it comes to electrical licensing
D
Old Dec 19th 2006, 1:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi
A friend of ours who lives in SA, and has just got his license, was told that it is not transferable. If he decided to come to Queensland he would have to do the same courses as all the electricians in Qld to obtain a license.
So I suppose not transferable is the wrong word to use, it is transferable but you have to add to your resume to be issued with a Qld license. But I guess there is so much to know and every state is different, the only way you would know for sure is for a person with an SA license to try and get a Qld license.
A friend of ours who has a lines person license issued in WA had to jump through many hoops for them to transfer it to a Qld license and he was trained in Oz!
I find that if you ask 10 different Australians the same question, you will surely get 10 different answers, especially when it comes to electrical licensing
D
Aye, they do seem to all have different answers don't they!!

I do know for a fact that the SA licence can be transferred to both NSW and WA with no other tests etc There were two electricians (one from each state) doing the exam here in SA. They had all the course work sent out to their home and once they had completed that they just had to fly in for the exam. They have done it this way before

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.