Electricians offshore

Old Jul 2nd 2011, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

joannesolomon1805 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electricians offshore

Hi People,

Just wondering if some of you could help me.

Me and my partner are moving to australia later this year, we have our visa's sorted as my gf has been offerd a relocation package which means i can also work on the back of her visa.

I have recently filled out my ARTC form and sent it off so hopefully this will come back ok. I currently work offshore in the UK and have all the relevant certs as im an Electrical Technician, i was hoping that one of you guys knows if i need to do any other courses to get me offshore?? apart from doin my wiring regulations once i arrive in Perth.

I have been in contact with an agency who deals with offshore and he assures me that i will get work offshore within 4-12 weeks, but for peace of mind i would like to know if there any of you that currently work offshore in australia and if there is anything else i need to do??

Hope you can help or assist me on this

Cheers

Stew
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

jamiefrod will become famous soon enoughjamiefrod will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Electricians offshore

Hi,

I'd be careful with agencies, they do talk a lot of rubbish over here. I have been trying to get offshore for the last 18 months and no luck after agencies said there would be 'no problem'. Granted I have no previous offshore experience just the tickets and qualifications.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

Andi-t- is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Stew,

I am also an Electrical Technician offshore in the north sea.

Could you tell me how you applied for your ARTC as i thought you had to be in australia to do this?

Also which agency have you been in contact with as I would be looking to do the same.

Just waiting on my final visa clearance and will hopefully be moving to Perth.

Thanks,

Andy.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

Hi Andy

I recently found out you need to be eligible to work in Australia before you are able to have your trade assessed. I had to wait until my visa had been granted before sending off my application form to TRA (Trades Recognition Australia).

Once your visa is granted you can apply to TRA to have your trade assessed. It will cost you around 300 dollars to do from the UK but I think this is free to do from Australia so you may choose to do it upon your arrival to Oz.

Here is the link, you will find all the info you need on here

http://www.deewr.gov.au/Skills/Progr...s/default.aspx

Good luck
Old Aug 30th 2011, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

Andi-t- is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the information,

Much appreciated
Old Sep 4th 2011, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

drewbo9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by joannesolomon1805
Hi People,

Just wondering if some of you could help me.

Me and my partner are moving to australia later this year, we have our visa's sorted as my gf has been offerd a relocation package which means i can also work on the back of her visa.

I have recently filled out my ARTC form and sent it off so hopefully this will come back ok. I currently work offshore in the UK and have all the relevant certs as im an Electrical Technician, i was hoping that one of you guys knows if i need to do any other courses to get me offshore?? apart from doin my wiring regulations once i arrive in Perth.

I have been in contact with an agency who deals with offshore and he assures me that i will get work offshore within 4-12 weeks, but for peace of mind i would like to know if there any of you that currently work offshore in australia and if there is anything else i need to do??

Hope you can help or assist me on this

Cheers

Stew

Im over here at the moment, there is loads of work offshore but your UK qualifications dont mean much.(medical and survival are ok) They want you to be Dual Trade which means they are looking for you to have an instrumentation qualification along with your electrical one, you can do a course at college to get the instrumentation but i dont know how much and how long, also they arent too switched on about the compex and want you to have the Aussie version which is bulldust. Dont bank on getting offshore too quickly, good money to be made on the beach while your waiting!

Ps. its a 2 week course once you get to Perth for your sparkies license!!
Old Sep 4th 2011, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for letting me know, im waiting for my trade to be assessed by TRA and once thats done ill be coming over.

Who did you do your 2 week course with to get your electricians license?
Also, are there many jobs on land (if im unable to get offshore straight away) and what are the rotas and pay like?

Thanks for your help
Old Sep 4th 2011, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by joannesolomon1805
Thanks for letting me know, im waiting for my trade to be assessed by TRA and once thats done ill be coming over.

Who did you do your 2 week course with to get your electricians license?
Also, are there many jobs on land (if im unable to get offshore straight away) and what are the rotas and pay like?

Thanks for your help
Think there is only one company that do it, this is what they said to me.......

Once you have been issued your ARTC, then you shall be required to submitt the certificate and application form to Energy Safety.
Upon receipt, we shall issue out a letter to undertake the Electrical Trades Licensing course. This course ruins for 2 weeks full time.

Upon successful completion of the course, we shall be able to process your WA Electrical Licence.

kind regards,

EnergySafety / Department of Commerce
PO Box 135 Cannington WA 6987
Level 1 Mason Bird Building ,
303 Sevenoaks Street, Cannington WA 6107
Phone (08) 9422 5252 Fax (08) 9422 5222
Internet: www.energysafety.wa.gov.au

Loads of work on land, power plants, hospitals etc plenty of overtime going on most jobs from what i hear, if you work all hours your talking after tax in your hand about $2400(rough figures)

You can go to the mines as well, most of the construction rotas are 3 on 1 off and the guys are walking away with $3000 upwards in their hand.

If you get your license sorted you wont have any trouble getting work on land but most of the mobs ive spoke to want the dual trade for offshore.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

Deyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really nice

Originally Posted by drewbo9
Loads of work on land, power plants, hospitals etc plenty of overtime going on most jobs from what i hear, if you work all hours your talking after tax in your hand about $2400(rough figures)
Is that per week, fortnight or month?

I've never heard about that, I'm licensed sparky and I'm taking about $1400 gross per week (based on 40 working hours).
Old Sep 5th 2011, 11:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Deyan
Is that per week, fortnight or month?

I've never heard about that, I'm licensed sparky and I'm taking about $1400 gross per week (based on 40 working hours).
As i said mate if you work all hours (late nights and weekends) you'll be clearing that or there abouts. Kwinana power plants and refineries were paying that.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Deyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really nice

OK, didn't know that.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

oannesolomon1805;
the person who said you can work of shore within 4 to 12 weeks is talking crap.?? you shall require your Vetassess 1st from the UK then apply for TRA in the UK, once you have them you can apply to the local Tafe (college) to do a top up course for the Australian wiring rules once you have done that i know in Perth they run a 2 x week full on course so people can gain the required Electrical Unrestricted license.All states have there own licensing system & top up courses i can assure you now you wont be getting the License in the time frame the cabbage from the agency has told you, they are just interested in getting your money you can do all this on your own.
whatever state your going to reside in i would be contacting the right licensing division & ask for a list of Tafe's that do the courses you shall need then email them before you get here.

The exams shall be a mix of theory & practical.