Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Electricians moving to Australia

Electricians moving to Australia

Old Sep 14th 2015, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

scott4526 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electricians moving to Australia

Hi just want a bit of feedback from English electricians. I have been in Australia for 8 years now. I am a electrical contractor with my own business I am working in mining, commercial, domestic and marine. Since I have been here I have come across many English electricians saying how hard it is to find jobs. Not knowing what tickets to get etc etc. The problem is that most Australian company's don't understand what this supervised electrician means and 9 times out of 10 they can't be bothered. So I was thinking about starting up a sort of recruitment company that finds the courses you need to, advising you on the steps you need and help you to find a job and settle in Australia. Feedback much appreciated.
Old Sep 15th 2015, 3:46 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electricians moving to Australia

Originally Posted by scott4526
Hi just want a bit of feedback from English electricians. I have been in Australia for 8 years now. I am a electrical contractor with my own business I am working in mining, commercial, domestic and marine. Since I have been here I have come across many English electricians saying how hard it is to find jobs. Not knowing what tickets to get etc etc. The problem is that most Australian company's don't understand what this supervised electrician means and 9 times out of 10 they can't be bothered. So I was thinking about starting up a sort of recruitment company that finds the courses you need to, advising you on the steps you need and help you to find a job and settle in Australia. Feedback much appreciated.
Not sure what this has to do with Australian immigration

I'll move to electricians forum but also not sure that it is a valid business idea. The RTOs and TAFEs are pretty good at helping, as are some recruitment agencies although the best advice I have been given, and give myself, is apply to companies recruiting directly.

Each state is different and in WA I know of at least one other company already providing assistance to overseas electricians - not just English.
Old Sep 15th 2015, 3:49 am
Just Joined

Just going of experience mate and what dozens of sparks have told me.
Old Sep 15th 2015, 4:09 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Just going of experience mate and what dozens of sparks have told me.
Everyone I did Peer with either had work before the course or shortly after. Think I probably took the longest to get license sorted as I took a control job for a while. Peer here are helpful as are the Skilled Migrant services / Skills for all. They even funded the gap training here. There was a real mix of sparks too - I do industrial as did one other, the rest were commercial and domestic.

Not sure on what support there is in other states. NSW allows unlicensed sparks but think VIC and QLD are not so easy to get the training / license sorted.

Were you planning on focusing on any particular state (WA) or Australia wide?
Old Sep 15th 2015, 6:20 am
Just Joined

Yeh focusing on Wa because I want to be going out to agencies introducing myself explaining the situation with the English sparks. Most of them have not got any idea or can't be bothered. Also would like to be a point of contact for people. Like to do things face to face and not over phone. I have just recently spoke to some BHP HR in WA when I was on site and they sounded interested just got to look a bit further into it.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 2:29 am

Yeh focusing on Wa because I want to be going out to agencies introducing myself explaining the situation with the English sparks. Most of them have not got any idea or can't be bothered. Also would like to be a point of contact for people. Like to do things face to face and not over phone. I have just recently spoke to some BHP HR in WA when I was on site and they sounded interested just got to look a bit further into it.
You really should expand your focus - the situation for English sparks is the same for all British sparks, and just about all foreign sparks too.
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

shaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond repute

Scott, I would be very interested to see if you have taken your idea any further. I am looking at making the move early next year and it would be great to find out a little more info on the situation for British Electricians making the move to WA.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 2:04 am
Just Joined

Gazza88sco is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been over here a couple of years. I've done the log book part. I just took some time off I had a job in the mines with my provision al license. I'm going to book in for my gap training soon while I am off but I want to be as prepared as I can as I just want to get it over with has anyone done the gap training and what are the key areas to revise on and are there any tutors in the Perth region than can help .
Old Jun 20th 2016, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

amandamcpheely is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I am moving out to Sydney in September. I have been an electrician for 10 years, the last 6 being with a JIB registered large electrical company. I am fully qualified NVQ Level 3 in Electrical Engineering and NVQ level 3 in Electrical installation and I have also completed an AM2 and hold a current PASMA and IPAF qualifications.

How can I go about getting a job in Sydney?

Thanks
Old Jun 21st 2016, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by amandamcpheely
Hi, I am moving out to Sydney in September. I have been an electrician for 10 years, the last 6 being with a JIB registered large electrical company. I am fully qualified NVQ Level 3 in Electrical Engineering and NVQ level 3 in Electrical installation and I have also completed an AM2 and hold a current PASMA and IPAF qualifications.

How can I go about getting a job in Sydney?

Thanks
Hi Amanda,

Have you done the skills assessment and moving on skilled visa, or are you coming on another visa?
Old Jul 13th 2016, 11:50 am
Just Joined

jamesbell123 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi mate I have recently qualified as level 3 electrical installation and have been working with a local electrician in Manchester. For over 2 years now I am 20 years old and I am really interested in making the move I just don't know how too come about doing it and do I need more certs too move other there. Am2 17th edition etc. I am qualified as a electricians mate and I was wondering if it was worth doing the rest of the certs over there and learning more of the way they do it down under. Thanks . My emails < snip >
If you would prefer too reply on there feel free too reply by email.

Last edited by old.sparkles; Jul 13th 2016 at 12:11 pm. Reason: email removed
Old Jul 13th 2016, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by jamesbell123
hi mate I have recently qualified as level 3 electrical installation and have been working with a local electrician in Manchester. For over 2 years now I am 20 years old and I am really interested in making the move I just don't know how too come about doing it and do I need more certs too move other there. Am2 17th edition etc. I am qualified as a electricians mate and I was wondering if it was worth doing the rest of the certs over there and learning more of the way they do it down under. Thanks . My emails < snip >
If you would prefer too reply on there feel free too reply by email.
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I've removed your email addy as posting on open forum is not encouraged as it makes you the target for spambots and such.

To qualify for a skilled visa, you need to show 4 years of training for the assessment. You could check out the requirements on the Vetassess site - https://www.vetassess.com.au/skills-...de-occupations

It's not the only company doing assessments but is one of the more widely known. Others would be Future Skills and Victoria University.

Migration is also not cheap - think I probably burnt through around £30k with everything (and maybe a little more even). Of course, you could come over on a working holiday visa and see how you like the country, visit different states (as they all do things differently when it comes to gap training after a move for licensing) and see if it suits you - and where suits you
Old Jul 15th 2016, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

Dreyan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Gents,
I'm a sparky looking at immigrating to Perth. Anyone around with fresh info about the labour market at the moment or a prognose about this in 6 months when I think I'll be able to make the move? Also,how many points we get for english on our british passport, do we have to take the english exam if we need max points?

Thanks a million.
Old Jul 15th 2016, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Dreyan
Hi Gents,
I'm a sparky looking at immigrating to Perth. Anyone around with fresh info about the labour market at the moment or a prognose about this in 6 months when I think I'll be able to make the move? Also,how many points we get for english on our british passport, do we have to take the english exam if we need max points?

Thanks a million.
Ignoring the sexist comment, Perth has a general slow down at the moment with lots of people struggling to find work due to the decline in the mining sector. I have received on call about a job in Perth even though I'm interstate but the salary on offer was laughable. If I recall correctly, it was somewhere around $70k before tax.

In terms of the visa, a British passport is recognised as meeting the requirements for competent English - i.e. no points. I you need points from the English section, you will need to sit IELTS or equivalent.
Old Jul 15th 2016, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

Dreyan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Ignoring the sexist comment, Perth has a general slow down at the moment with lots of people struggling to find work due to the decline in the mining sector. I have received on call about a job in Perth even though I'm interstate but the salary on offer was laughable. If I recall correctly, it was somewhere around $70k before tax.

In terms of the visa, a British passport is recognised as meeting the requirements for competent English - i.e. no points. I you need points from the English section, you will need to sit IELTS or equivalent.
Hi Old Sparkles,

Thank you very much for your answer. It's so easy to be sexist nowadays (assumptions), my apologies. Now being a bit chekey, will it be possible to complete the book for GAP training even though you are not actually working in that specific job -comercial/ install ? What if I get a job in marine engineering for example (this being close to my background)?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.