Electricians in Cairns

Old Jul 16th 2008, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

Drew813 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electricians in Cairns

Hi mate,

I could be very interested in this, im heading over to Australia in the next month or so, starting off in adelaide then heading over your direction. Any more info?
Old Aug 7th 2008, 1:45 am
Just Joined

BFOX is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by youngy73
Does anyone fancy being an electrician in cairns. My boss cannot get enough lads at the moment and there is no end in sight to the current boom up here. He pays $25 an hour to start with and thats with no licences, permits etc.just turn up straight off the plane and start work the next day. you can negotiate more once you get all the paperwork sorted. we do domestic and commercial in and around cairns but also do a lot of work up the cape if you fancy getting into the bush and seeing the " real oz". it doesnt get more real than the missions.
Hi youngy,

is your boss still looking for electricians. I've sent my application to TRA and I'm waiting. I live in Cairns and let me know if I can send to him my resume.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 4:41 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BFOX
Hi youngy,

is your boss still looking for electricians. I've sent my application to TRA and I'm waiting. I live in Cairns and let me know if I can send to him my resume.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=552552
Old Sep 10th 2008, 10:23 am
Just Joined

michelletaylor is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Steve my names Michelle,hope you dont mind me jumping in to your conversation but your threads were off interest to me,i have a few questions and wondered if you could answer them for me as i see you know your stuff!!! Im hopefully coming over next year with my husaband and 2 children,my husband is a electrcian!! I thought that when we had our visas isussed to us my husband would be able to start working straight away when we arrive,but i have since found out he would need to get a licence to work legally..........could you tell me how you get one of these licences? how long does it take and how much? and also would my husband not be able to work anywhere befor he got the licence? we want to move to the Gold Coast!! Thank you so much i really hope you can help me,oh and also i read you saying that the work is drying up over there,that is a worry! do you think it will pick up by next year when we arrive or do you think there is just to many sparkys out there at the moment,id love to hear what you think!! thanks Steve............Michelle
Old Sep 10th 2008, 10:52 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michelletaylor
Hi Steve my names Michelle,hope you dont mind me jumping in to your conversation but your threads were off interest to me,i have a few questions and wondered if you could answer them for me as i see you know your stuff!!! Im hopefully coming over next year with my husaband and 2 children,my husband is a electrcian!! I thought that when we had our visas isussed to us my husband would be able to start working straight away when we arrive,but i have since found out he would need to get a licence to work legally..........could you tell me how you get one of these licences? how long does it take and how much? and also would my husband not be able to work anywhere befor he got the licence? we want to move to the Gold Coast!! Thank you so much i really hope you can help me,oh and also i read you saying that the work is drying up over there,that is a worry! do you think it will pick up by next year when we arrive or do you think there is just to many sparkys out there at the moment,id love to hear what you think!! thanks Steve............Michelle

right then what type of visa have you guys got??
has your husbands skills been assessed and if so by who ??
Old Sep 10th 2008, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by steve`o
right then what type of visa have you guys got??
has your husbands skills been assessed and if so by who ??
Hi Steve,Right where applying for a skilled 175 independant migrant visa,we will be being asessed by vetassass just waiting for dates at the mo....thanks
Old Sep 10th 2008, 12:35 pm
Worongary

Hi Steve,Right where applying for a skilled 175 independant migrant visa,we will be being asessed by vetassass just waiting for dates at the mo....thanks
the fastist way of getting licenced is to go to peer in adelaide
tipically three weeks and your done
you can alaways do it from the uk and sit the exam on arrival making even quicker if you wish

taken fom one of wendys posts

"Book yourself on a course with PEER training (www.peer.com.au) and buy yourself the following books.

http://www.saiglobal.com/shop/Script...AS678036347050
http://www.saiglobal.com/shop/Script...=stds000017409
http://www.saiglobal.com/shop/Script...AS12820832AASS
http://www.saiglobal.com/shop/Script...AS778112015227

(Note: If you keep your receipts for the books and the course, you can claim them back against your taxable income providing you claim them in the same tax year as you buy them)

At Peer, you will be given a booklet to fill in. It will ask you to find the relevant section of the wiring rules to answer the question. This book can be filled in either at the training centre or at home, so really it’s up to you how long it will take to fill in. Once you have completed this you will then be able to take your exam, which is basically the same thing – filling in the relevant regulations.

It usually takes anything from 2 – 4 weeks to get to the exam stage (well they have to look as if they are at least trying ).

Once you have done your exam and passed, (impossible to fail, as they will tell you to amend things if they aren’t right), you will get a certificate to say you have completed the wiring rules course. You then take this and your ARTC certificate, which should have arrived by now) to the Office of Consumer and Business Affairs (OCBA) in Adelaide CBD. You will need to also fill in this form: http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/assets/fil...ship_07web.pdf and pay the fee ($338 currently, again keep the receipt as you can claim it back )

They will send you a letter asking you to have a photo done at various places (usually transport offices), once you have done that it will take approximately 10 to 14 days to receive your licence and away you go."

hope this helps
regards steve
Old Sep 10th 2008, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

you can alaways do it from the uk and sit the exam on arrival making even quicker if you wish

"Book yourself on a course with PEER training (www.peer.com.au) and buy yourself the following books.

(Note: If you keep your receipts for the books and the course, you can claim them back against your taxable income providing you claim them in the same tax year as you buy them)

At Peer, you will be given a booklet to fill in. It will ask you to find the relevant section of the wiring rules to answer the question. This book can be filled in either at the training centre or at home, so really it’s up to you how long it will take to fill in. Once you have completed this you will then be able to take your exam, which is basically the same thing – filling in the relevant regulations.

It usually takes anything from 2 – 4 weeks to get to the exam stage (well they have to look as if they are at least trying ).

Once you have done your exam and passed, (impossible to fail, as they will tell you to amend things if they aren’t right), you will get a certificate to say you have completed the wiring rules course. You then take this and your ARTC certificate, which should have arrived by now) to the Office of Consumer and Business Affairs (OCBA) in Adelaide CBD. You will need to also fill in this form: http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/assets/fil...ship_07web.pdf and pay the fee ($338 currently, again keep the receipt as you can claim it back )

They will send you a letter asking you to have a photo done at various places (usually transport offices), once you have done that it will take approximately 10 to 14 days to receive your licence and away you go."

hope this helps
regards steve
Oh Steve thats wonderful thankyou,so would it be easier for us to do a couple of months in Adelaide befor we move to Gold Coast? and one more thing do you think my husaband will be able to find work ok when we arrive and earn a decent wage....i do worry just because we have to children,thanks you have been wonderful!!
Old Sep 10th 2008, 2:22 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

10/10 Another top post Steve,

I notice a couple of the books / documents are a few years old now do you know if they have any intention of up-dating them in the near future ?

Or are they going to be indate for a while and only get updated with small ammendments if and when needed??

And my next question is to all the sparks out there looking at maybe purchasing these books both for the course and future reference (although dont think many OZ sparks refer to them ) what about chipping in on the Pdf versions between a few of us??

thus reducing the outlay and leaving more pennies towards my first slab of ice cold Carlton Cold from the drive thru when i get down under

You maybe thinking this is on the wrong side of the copyright laws but i can assure you its not as i will make the purchase and then depending on how many chip in split the cost and i will errrrr......
Copy them out on paper and post them to you, nudge nudge

Let me know what you think and who's interested

Dougie
Old Sep 10th 2008, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

moriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to all

hope this helps
regards steve
Fantastic well explained post, the only bit I don't understand is do those of us who have done vetassess get given an artc certificate or do we have to apply for it?
Old Sep 10th 2008, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by moriarty711
Fantastic well explained post, the only bit I don't understand is do those of us who have done vetassess get given an artc certificate or do we have to apply for it?
yes thats what i want to know,im getting so confused with all this,I thought that when you passed the vetassess and got your visa that you could go over there and start work....but i have know learnt that you need this artc and a licence......do u know how to get this licence without going to Adelaide? im going Gold Coast? what about you?
Old Sep 10th 2008, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

moriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to all

As every other sparky in the UK seems to going -Brisbane,
I wonder how many sparks leave the UK every year?
Old Sep 10th 2008, 8:21 pm
Worongary

Originally Posted by moriarty711
sorry a little of the post is dated
going via the vesttesses system you get an equivilent document called an osrt, this is used just the same as the artc to show that you have bee passed as been skilled to the australian standard, and can apply for licencing

regards steve
Old Sep 10th 2008, 8:31 pm
Worongary

Originally Posted by DOUGIE AN LOUISE
10/10 Another top post Steve,

I notice a couple of the books / documents are a few years old now do you know if they have any intention of up-dating them in the near future ?

Or are they going to be indate for a while and only get updated with small ammendments if and when needed??

And my next question is to all the sparks out there looking at maybe purchasing these books both for the course and future reference (although dont think many OZ sparks refer to them ) what about chipping in on the Pdf versions between a few of us??

thus reducing the outlay and leaving more pennies towards my first slab of ice cold Carlton Cold from the drive thru when i get down under

You maybe thinking this is on the wrong side of the copyright laws but i can assure you its not as i will make the purchase and then depending on how many chip in split the cost and i will errrrr......
Copy them out on paper and post them to you, nudge nudge

Let me know what you think and who's interested

Dougie

sorry some ot the links are indeed out of date,
just look on the left hand side of the sai webpage and it tells you of the standards current standing iether current or superseeded,
if its the latter use the standard number ( but not the year ) to search for the lastest version,

if your going to go to adelaide and do the course from start to finish i`d wait and buy the books at the college, ( pdf`s are a nighmare especially as3000 as its about 300 pages long i know ive printed it off )

regards steve
Old Sep 10th 2008, 8:40 pm
Worongary

yes thats what i want to know,im getting so confused with all this,I thought that when you passed the vetassess and got your visa that you could go over there and start work....but i have know learnt that you need this artc and a licence......do u know how to get this licence without going to Adelaide? im going Gold Coast? what about you?
vitually all trades are licenced mate
at first i thought bastards more paperwork and brass
now i`m of the mind of yes it does keep the cowboys out of the trade
and perhaps this is the way that the uk should be going,

like ivesaid before i recommnd that you go to adelaide and do eitherthe full course and exam ( 3 weeks ) or do the course via crorrespondance and just go for the exam ( 2/3 days ) simply because its just the quickest way to get licenced and start work, if your coming to the gold coast ( bloody good choice its great over here ) the next quckest way would be via correspondance with qet ( about 4 months and you`ll need to get a job wth a temp permit to train which can be difficult )
http://www.qet.edu.au/
and the slowest way would be via the local tafes ( colleges ) this will take about 7 months but its limited as they only start in feb and finish in sept
if you arrive half way through you have to wait untill it starts again next yr

i personaly went via chris at qet, but only becasue i didnt know about peer at the time,

hope this helps

regards steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.