Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Electrician wanting to move to aus

Electrician wanting to move to aus

Old Jun 24th 2007, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

chrisgav is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Electrician wanting to move to aus

I am a qualified electrician, CG 2381 and am doing my testing and inspection CG 2391 course, I have been working in the security industry for 17 years and i am now a security sales consultant.

I was wondering what advise any one could give to me as to whether its better to look for work as a spark or on the security side, (ie CCTV, Access control and intruder alarms)

Is it better to go through an agency or straight to a company.

Any help would be very greatfull

Sorry the thread is so long

Cheers
Old Jun 24th 2007, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrician wanting to move to aus

Originally Posted by chrisgav
I am a qualified electrician, CG 2381 and am doing my testing and inspection CG 2391 course, I have been working in the security industry for 17 years and i am now a security sales consultant.

I was wondering what advise any one could give to me as to whether its better to look for work as a spark or on the security side, (ie CCTV, Access control and intruder alarms)

Is it better to go through an agency or straight to a company.

Any help would be very greatfull

Sorry the thread is so long

Cheers
I think sparkies are paid about $5 - $10k more than CCTV installers. Either way you will need a licence, so really I'd see what is about when you get here.

My OH used an agency, they found him a full time, permanent position within a day of getting his licence.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

chrisgav is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wendy
I think sparkies are paid about $5 - $10k more than CCTV installers. Either way you will need a licence, so really I'd see what is about when you get here.

My OH used an agency, they found him a full time, permanent position within a day of getting his licence.
What is involved in getting the license and what agencies are good to use

Is it not a bit risky moving over there without a job to go to.

I thought you needed a sponser to get there.

Cheers
Old Jun 24th 2007, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisgav
What is involved in getting the license and what agencies are good to use

Is it not a bit risky moving over there without a job to go to.

I thought you needed a sponser to get there.

Cheers

Licencing varies from state to state, so it depends on where you are going to. Again with agencies, depends where you are, but there is plenty of them and plenty of jobs in the paper too.

It is risky yes, but hundreds do it every day so at least we are all as mad as each other.

Not everyone needs a sponsor, it depends on if you have enough points without one or not.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Wendy,

he can register with ASIAL for the security license and he does not even have to be a spark, this security license is Australia wide he will, However have to have a police security check in whatever state he is living in.

Of course like anything else the license will last for 3 years and cost him as will the police check that alone is about $300.00 and the license is also about $350.00 not bad though as you & i both know for us sparks it cost lots of dosh
Old Jun 25th 2007, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
Wendy,

he can register with ASIAL for the security license and he does not even have to be a spark, this security license is Australia wide he will, However have to have a police security check in whatever state he is living in.

Of course like anything else the license will last for 3 years and cost him as will the police check that alone is about $300.00 and the license is also about $350.00 not bad though as you & i both know for us sparks it cost lots of dosh

I just assumed that they meant sparks licence when they advertised they needed licences I learn something new every day
Old Jun 25th 2007, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

theboshoffs is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: Electrician wanting to move to aus

Im confused now,im sure i read in some previous posts that you dont need 2391 as it is not recognized in australia....
Is this true as i am about to do mine and it would be helpful to know if im gonna be wasting my money on it...
I have 2360 prt 1 and 2 16th edition,will this be enough...with 5 yrs experience,although i didnt do a recognized aprenticeship.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 9:38 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theboshoffs
Im confused now,im sure i read in some previous posts that you dont need 2391 as it is not recognized in australia....
Is this true as i am about to do mine and it would be helpful to know if im gonna be wasting my money on it...
I have 2360 prt 1 and 2 16th edition,will this be enough...with 5 yrs experience,although i didnt do a recognized aprenticeship.
no you dont need the 2391 for immigratio purposes
and i take it the five years is after completing the 236 a&b ??
if so there shouldnt be a problem as they count the time in trainging against the seven years

ps persoannly i feel that the 239 and the 240 make for better sparkies as it gives you a better insite to the design and testing elements which i found were mostly overlooked in the 236
just my opionion
Old Jun 25th 2007, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Electrician wanting to move to aus

Hi Steve thanks for the reply. As you can prob gather Im very new to this site and still trying to work out how it all works. Basically I only have 1 years experience after qualifying, all my other experience is prior to qualifying.

We are aiming to go over next year on a working holiday visa, with the hope that I gain employment as an electrician and hopefully find sponsorship from employer. I am confused as I read one place that I wont be able to get a license if only on WHV, but read loads of other threads that you can? If not could I work as an electricians mate?We are not aiming to tarvel, just wanna find sponsor and settle

Would you be able to tell me whether this is possible, and if so what I have to do to get license e.t.c. It wouldn't be a problem getting it sent to an address in Oz as my cousin lives there.

I read a lot of conflicting info but you and Wendy seem very much on the ball. Any advice or info would be much appreciated!
Old Jun 25th 2007, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

theboshoffs, you will struggle mate to get work as a spark the only way would be for a company to take you on and they shall then be responsible for your work for insurance cover & they wont be keen on that i can assure you.

There are people coming here from other countries who can get work without the license But if you get caught you wont be returning to Australia for many years. also imagine if there is a problem the people you work for have NO insurance on there property.

It sounds crap but sorry to say thats the way it is here in all states you need the A class license.

sorry mate

if you need more info ask Wendy & Stev'o
Old Jun 26th 2007, 3:28 am
Just Joined

Lightbulb Re: Electrician wanting to move to aus

The A class license does not look like it will be too much of a problem,as i understand it i send all my Cert with all my references to the ART and ARTC then they grade you depending on experience..I work as an installation Electrician in England so cant really see any problems arising..
Does any one know thgh wht type of experiense they look for and how varied to get the mechanical electrical license....
Any info and help will greatly be apreciated
Old Jun 26th 2007, 3:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by theboshoffs
Hi Steve thanks for the reply. As you can prob gather Im very new to this site and still trying to work out how it all works. Basically I only have 1 years experience after qualifying, all my other experience is prior to qualifying.

We are aiming to go over next year on a working holiday visa, with the hope that I gain employment as an electrician and hopefully find sponsorship from employer. I am confused as I read one place that I wont be able to get a license if only on WHV, but read loads of other threads that you can? If not could I work as an electricians mate?We are not aiming to tarvel, just wanna find sponsor and settle

Would you be able to tell me whether this is possible, and if so what I have to do to get license e.t.c. It wouldn't be a problem getting it sent to an address in Oz as my cousin lives there.

I read a lot of conflicting info but you and Wendy seem very much on the ball. Any advice or info would be much appreciated!
I'm not all that knowledgable about the security side of things, but here's the site. http://www.asial.com.au/driver.asp?p...for+compliance

Maybe contact them and see what they say
Old Jun 26th 2007, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

theboshoffs,

you are in for a shock mate, if you think all you have to do is apply for a blasted license, regardless of which state you reside in there are exams to be done before they will even consider you for any license, its as simple as that. Victoria is the worst the best ive heard of is S/A have a word with wendy she can give you more info, so please dont expect to get a license from the UK. the license required is the A class license without that your stuffed.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 2:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
theboshoffs,

you are in for a shock mate, if you think all you have to do is apply for a blasted license, regardless of which state you reside in there are exams to be done before they will even consider you for any license, its as simple as that. Victoria is the worst the best ive heard of is S/A have a word with wendy she can give you more info, so please dont expect to get a license from the UK. the license required is the A class license without that your stuffed.

Hi Arthur,

There's been some news from the TRA. From the 1st September they will no longer be assessing all trades applications, they will be done by VETASSESS instead. There are three assessments, the first is a self assessment, the second is done by them, then there is a practical test which once passed will mean that people can apply from the UK for a provisional licence. Better than nothing, but doesn't really help in getting the full licence.

I haven't had a good read of the sites yet, but that's what I've got from the quick scan I did earlier. When I have more time I'll look at it all properly
Old Jun 26th 2007, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Brigall is an unknown quantity at this point

TheBoshoffs it aint a case of just apply for your license, there was 8 attended the same time as myself and only 2 of us passed first time. In my mates group 2 walked out within 15 minutes 1 after an hour and 3 passed.

You have 4 hours to complete 6 questions 4 mandatory 2 additional, it is not a walk in the park. After passing the practical you do a written/multichoice which contains reg questions electrical priciple questions, ie
If you have 440volts line voltage and a the coil resistance is 10 ohms what is the coil current in a delta wiring system and what is the coil voltage in a star system.
This was for the electrical mechanic exam, in WA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.