Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Electrician on Sunshine Coast looking for work

Electrician on Sunshine Coast looking for work

Old May 5th 2007, 2:30 am
Just Joined

John and Marianne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrician on Sunshine Coast looking for work

Hi

Arrived here in Jan and now have trade cert and work permit - only problem is, nobody wants to take me on coz I dont have a licence. Does anyone have any ideas how I can get one and are there other roads to go down? This must be why there is a trades shortage in this country. I've heard about Peer but not sure if its worth pursuing - am I just going to be disappointed?

Any sparks out on the sunshine coast that can offer some support, please contact me, it would be a great help, or anyone that can help boost my confidence. The wifes working in a full time permenant job and I just want to work too.

Cheers John
Old May 5th 2007, 11:46 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrician on Sunshine Coast looking for work

Originally Posted by John and Marianne
Hi

Arrived here in Jan and now have trade cert and work permit - only problem is, nobody wants to take me on coz I dont have a licence. Does anyone have any ideas how I can get one and are there other roads to go down? This must be why there is a trades shortage in this country. I've heard about Peer but not sure if its worth pursuing - am I just going to be disappointed?

Any sparks out on the sunshine coast that can offer some support, please contact me, it would be a great help, or anyone that can help boost my confidence. The wifes working in a full time permenant job and I just want to work too.

Cheers John
have you tried approaching companys directly. for example walking into there office and saying your a spark but need to get a few months experience to get the licence.tell them youll be a trades assistant. the first jobs the hardest to get then youll be laughing. hang in there.im up in cairns and you would get a start straight away up here.
Old May 5th 2007, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Tamworth U.K.- Brisbane Very Soon Now Visa Granted!!
Graff will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by John and Marianne
Hi

Cheers John
Hi John, have a look at this link below, you may be a bit late but the person who posted it may be able to help you. Good look anyway. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=400433
Old May 6th 2007, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

somme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to behold

If you do the Peers licence you can then just swap for a queensland licence costs about $700.
Old May 6th 2007, 8:39 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Graff
Hi John, have a look at this link below, you may be a bit late but the person who posted it may be able to help you. Good look anyway. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=400433
already sent john this link and a link to qet
http://www.qet.edu.au/

ian from modern elec is a really helpful guy
he offered me a job last nov but as the work was on the sunshine coast / north brissie i declined his offer

i`ve pointed andy from this site his way
andy has now worked there for about 4 months and getting on with his licence application via the local tafe

chris at qet is also really helpful
he`s ex tafe and ex queensland safety office and really knows the system inside out

i recentley passed my licence exams with chris`s company and having looked ath the contractors licence info on the safety offices web site was going to wait for 12 months before applying, chris told me that that rule was only brought in to deter young lads just out of their time from starting up as contractors which does make sense
having spoken to the safety office this rule will be "overlooked" if your date of birth and experiance show you to be of a more mature standing

so in this case a few grey hairs count in favour of you

regards steve