Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

electrician in need of help!!

electrician in need of help!!

Old Jan 1st 2008, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

docgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nice
Smile electrician in need of help!!

need some advice people!?! have read most threads

Vetassess is the route im taking, (just applied no response yet) really confused at some of the remarks in this forum regarding routes into aus as an electrician.

if i pass paper based assement (part 2) and then practical (part 3) i get a provisional licence to work?

what is the ARTC thingy? do i need it

what next after vetassess?

young and niave about visa process, going alone no agent

your thoughts please
Old Jan 1st 2008, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

eberjoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: electrician in need of help!!

Originally Posted by docgp
need some advice people!?! have read most threads

Vetassess is the route im taking, (just applied no response yet) really confused at some of the remarks in this forum regarding routes into aus as an electrician.

if i pass paper based assement (part 2) and then practical (part 3) i get a provisional licence to work?

what is the ARTC thingy? do i need it

what next after vetassess?

young and niave about visa process, going alone no agent

your thoughts please
I'll share the part I'm sure about:

1-When you get your skills as electrician successfully assessed (all the phases of VETASSES) you'll be able to apply for the actual visa;
2-The ARTC will be required to get a licence to work in OZ, it's done through TRA;
3-Once you have the ARTC you'll be able to perform supervised work. It can be managed while you're doing the short courses/exams to get your full licence.

Hope it helps and someone else give you more info.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 8:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

The Vetassess assesment are still pretty new and no-one has actually gone all the way through it yet. It does say on the vetassess site that you will be given a provisional licence to work in Australia and that you'll get info on any additional training you need to undertake when you get here.

The general consensous from agents I have spoken to is that you will still need an ARTC certificate from the TRA when you arrive to get a full licence, but until someone actually passes phase 3 of the vetassess exam, no-one will be able to tell you for sure.

Sorry can't be any more help than that just now. Just keep checking in and see what comes of it.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 8:14 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eberjoe
I'll share the part I'm sure about:

1-When you get your skills as electrician successfully assessed (all the phases of VETASSES) you'll be able to apply for the actual visa;
2-The ARTC will be required to get a licence to work in OZ, it's done through TRA;
3-Once you have the ARTC you'll be able to perform supervised work. It can be managed while you're doing the short courses/exams to get your full licence.

Hope it helps and someone else give you more info.
artc = australian recognised trade certificate

the artc isnt a licence its just proof that your skills are on a par with an
australian tradesman

currently the artc is required to apply for an electrical licence at your states electical safty offfice ( along witha current cpr certificate )

as wends says however under the new system its a bit unclear at the moment ( nobodies gone all the way through yet ) as to wheather you will need the artc or just the vettessa certifiate to apply for your licence

regards steve
Old Jan 1st 2008, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

docgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nice

thanks for your responses people,

i guess i will see how things go and will post what i find out

looks like im going to be a lab rat for this vetassess process.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by docgp
thanks for your responses people,

i guess i will see how things go and will post what i find out

looks like im going to be a lab rat for this vetassess process.

The first lot of practical assessments are in April - so by mid year there should be some idea of what happens next
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

shar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to all

Hi Wendy, we were hoping that the assessments were going to be in February in UK ,is this not happening now its just all really vague, we were supposed to be doing the Dec one, we have passed the paper based assessment and now just waiting, really did not want to wait until April. Oh well we have no choice I suppose. many thanks
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by shar07
Hi Wendy, we were hoping that the assessments were going to be in February in UK ,is this not happening now its just all really vague, we were supposed to be doing the Dec one, we have passed the paper based assessment and now just waiting, really did not want to wait until April. Oh well we have no choice I suppose. many thanks

I'm just going by the vetassess site, but have just looked again and it say's:

Please note that the schedule (dates and venues) may be subject to change. More assessment events may be scheduled depending on demand. Applicants will be notified of additional sessions as they become available.

http://www.vetassess.com.au/index.cf...a#tsa_schedule

So I could be wrong
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shar07
how long was it for your vetassess to come through? ive just applied and i know they have had time off for xmas, they say 20 days, was this the case for you?
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

shar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to all

we sent ours off on 28th October and received it back at the beginning of December, unfortunately too late for December assessments, so you are looking at about a month I would say. Good luck