British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   Electrician moving to Perth Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/electrician-moving-perth-australia-893732/)

SamJ86 Mar 10th 2017 6:25 pm

Electrician moving to Perth Australia

Hi Just wondering what the best route is to take in order to gain an electrical A license in Perth. Have undertaken all aspects to gain a permanent residency visa Im moving over with my wife who is a nurse. But after reading various threads it seems to be a complete nightmare to gain employment and to jump through all the neccessary hoops in order to work as an electrician.
What are the best routes to take to gain any sort or employment in the industry in order to complete log books and required courses etc??

Any advice or pointers if anyones been through the process would be gratefully received.

old.sparkles Mar 11th 2017 8:19 am

Re: Electrician moving to Perth Australia

Originally Posted by SamJ86 (Post 12201967)
Hi Just wondering what the best route is to take in order to gain an electrical A license in Perth. Have undertaken all aspects to gain a permanent residency visa Im moving over with my wife who is a nurse. But after reading various threads it seems to be a complete nightmare to gain employment and to jump through all the neccessary hoops in order to work as an electrician.
What are the best routes to take to gain any sort or employment in the industry in order to complete log books and required courses etc??

Any advice or pointers if anyones been through the process would be gratefully received.

Depends on what type of work you generally do. I do maintenance, repair, plc's etc so was advised to apply to employers advertising directly so that I would not be prescreened out by recruiters. I also made contacts within recruitment companies, spoke directly to the recruiter and went over the requirements I had to fulfil to get them on board - still have one or two contact me when they have work which matches my skills.

Also, the instructors at the training centre I used to do gap training have a wealth of contacts, and helped with trying to find work for those of us still looking.

If you work in construction, not sure but if you generally do house wiring, you can make friends with some of the wholesalers to find out who needs an extra pair of hands. Maybe get some cheap business type cards printed to hand out.

Are you on LinkedIn?

SamJ86 Mar 11th 2017 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 12202267)
Depends on what type of work you generally do. I do maintenance, repair, plc's etc so was advised to apply to employers advertising directly so that I would not be prescreened out by recruiters. I also made contacts within recruitment companies, spoke directly to the recruiter and went over the requirements I had to fulfil to get them on board - still have one or two contact me when they have work which matches my skills.

Also, the instructors at the training centre I used to do gap training have a wealth of contacts, and helped with trying to find work for those of us still looking.

If you work in construction, not sure but if you generally do house wiring, you can make friends with some of the wholesalers to find out who needs an extra pair of hands. Maybe get some cheap business type cards printed to hand out.

Are you on LinkedIn?

Im not on LinkedIn, would it be worth getting something set up throught that? I generally do maintenance also, have worked in domestic, industrial and currently in a commercial type of role. I have quite a broad experience, I have undertaken PLC courses on siemens S7 and have also worked on BMS Hvac systems but not to any extent to say Im an expert just have a decent understanding of them on a fault finding level.
Im guessing itll be alot more clearer once we actually make the move over from what you have replied with and its good to read something positive, these forums can bog you down I think at times, we fly over on the 26th August this year really looking forward to the challenge but just want to be prepared. Thanks alot for your reply.

old.sparkles Mar 12th 2017 1:35 am

Originally Posted by SamJ86 (Post 12202558)
Im not on LinkedIn, would it be worth getting something set up throught that? I generally do maintenance also, have worked in domestic, industrial and currently in a commercial type of role. I have quite a broad experience, I have undertaken PLC courses on siemens S7 and have also worked on BMS Hvac systems but not to any extent to say Im an expert just have a decent understanding of them on a fault finding level.
Im guessing itll be alot more clearer once we actually make the move over from what you have replied with and its good to read something positive, these forums can bog you down I think at times, we fly over on the 26th August this year really looking forward to the challenge but just want to be prepared. Thanks alot for your reply.

I would get yourself set up on LinkedIn as I notice my profile gets looked at by recruiters fairly regularly and I have had more than 1 interview as a result.

Do you have the addresses you need to get your supervised license and enrol for gap training?

SamJ86 Mar 12th 2017 7:10 am

Yeah I got an email off the energy licensing and I have to take my OTSR and application form in person to Vetassess in perth when I arrive from what I gather and they then go through where to enrol for gap training etc. All just seems abit of a disjointed system and a headache but am sure I'll get sorted in the end. Its just the enployment side of things thats more off putting but I will take your advice and set a LikedIn account up also.

teza Mar 15th 2017 11:02 am

Is there any reason why perth in particular? I'm asking because it's the state with highest unemployment at the moment, nursing positions hard to come by with state hospitasl in hiring freeze. Also my hubby runs an electrical wholesaler and at the moment projects are cancelled, local Sparkies are returning from mining downturn so heaps of unemployed sparkies as well, with local contacts. If perth is not necessary for close family or other reasons, I would look at a state where the work is.

Jockstar Mar 21st 2017 7:13 am

Plenty work in NSW

moneypenny20 Mar 21st 2017 7:34 am

Originally Posted by teza (Post 12205129)
Is there any reason why perth in particular? I'm asking because it's the state with highest unemployment at the moment, nursing positions hard to come by with state hospitasl in hiring freeze. Also my hubby runs an electrical wholesaler and at the moment projects are cancelled, local Sparkies are returning from mining downturn so heaps of unemployed sparkies as well, with local contacts. If perth is not necessary for close family or other reasons, I would look at a state where the work is.

Maybe Mrs Samj86 has a job with a Perth hospital? :unsure:

Dorothy Mar 21st 2017 8:34 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12209266)
Maybe Mrs Samj86 has a job with a Perth hospital? :unsure:

If she does then she's fortunate.

teza Mar 21st 2017 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 12209305)
If she does then she's fortunate.

Exactly, given that state is broke and hiring freeze is still on.:goodpost:

SamJ86 Mar 21st 2017 1:03 pm

Worse comes to worse yeah we'll try another state, I hadnt realised western australia had turned into a desolate waste land but oh well mad max might be able to pick us up at the airport, I also thought it was only us Poms that are seen as the negative whinge bags but yet again proven wrong. We're a young couple no kids no mortgage and plenty of savings so if perth doesnt work out am sure we'll try elsewhere and have a working holiday before we settle somewhere, am sorry if my post is keeping you awake at night with worry for us. I was asking solely for information off actual electricians that have been through the process mainly for any general tips or advice. If youve nothing else to add positively feel free to bomb someone elses post who cares for your opinions and input. Thanks

moneypenny20 Mar 21st 2017 1:16 pm

You've joined a public discussion board. That means anyone can respond. You didn't specify only positives and from my own personal experience only positives are incredibly unhelpful.

Actually the information regarding work in WA is spot on and I would have thought would be good to know. A few years ago all the info you would have got would be 'get over here, stacks of work, you wife won't have a problem, land of milk and honey blah blah blah'. However since the mines no longer the bonanza they were, the entire state is no longer so positive. If I were selling up in a country and planning to move to another I would want to know that the area I was planning on going to may be a struggle, even for Nurses and Electricians.

No one has been rude, no one has suggested don't move. They've simply told the truth and are trying to support new immigrants as others helped them in the past.

SamJ86 Mar 21st 2017 1:32 pm

I dont expect only positives i didnt express only positives in my question, but the reality is my question was aimed at electricians that have been through the process and yeah it may be public but if you have nothing genuine to add to what ive posted or asked then why reply just bombing someone out with next to zero information on there position or circumstances. Going through some of the posters other posts on other threads theyve added nothing of genuine information or help other than attacking people for even considering going to Perth. Like a said if youve no genuine information or experince on what ive asked in relation to being a spark whose gone through the process then what are you adding to the thread.

christmasoompa Mar 21st 2017 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by SamJ86 (Post 12209494)
I dont expect only positives i didnt express only positives in my question, but the reality is my question was aimed at electricians that have been through the process and yeah it may be public but if you have nothing genuine to add to what ive posted or asked then why reply just bombing someone out with next to zero information on there position or circumstances. Going through some of the posters other posts on other threads theyve added nothing of genuine information or help other than attacking people for even considering going to Perth. Like a said if youve no genuine information or experince on what ive asked in relation to being a spark whose gone through the process then what are you adding to the thread.

Blimey! If others have taken the time to reply to you (regardless of if it was exactly the answer you were hoping for or not), the polite thing to do is to say thanks, not to attack them for it. Those that may be able to help will be put off replying to you if they see responses like the one above, it won't get you anywhere on BE.

And if you genuinely think Teza or the others don't help people out on the forums, then you're not looking in the right place.

SamJ86 Mar 21st 2017 1:52 pm

I think ive more than learnt my lesson using the boards. Ive cancelled my visa anyway as theres no hope for anyone looking to emigrate best stay at home n get the kettle on cheers anyway