Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Moving from UK to Melbourne as a electrician on a whv

Moving from UK to Melbourne as a electrician on a whv

Old Aug 6th 2017, 10:12 am
Just Joined

Dz1993 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from UK to Melbourne as a electrician on a whv

Hey guys.. Me and my girlfriend are moving to Australia in January next year 😁😁😁😁😁. Moving to Melbourne as this is where my gf is studying. I'm a electrician over here and will be coming over on a whv I understand on a whv its easier just to work as a trade assistant, was wondering if anyone out there is in the same boat or has been in the same position to give some tips 😊,, is it better to try and look for a job online before we arrive or just wing it and start handing out cvs there. I've read posts that there's different laws in Melbourne about trade assistants than else where, Has Melbourne got plenty of jobs going for trade assistants, or would it be easier to get a little bar job or something like that ? Thanks 😊
Old Aug 8th 2017, 4:34 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from UK to Melbourne as a electrician on a whv

Originally Posted by Dz1993
Hey guys.. Me and my girlfriend are moving to Australia in January next year 😁😁😁😁😁. Moving to Melbourne as this is where my gf is studying. I'm a electrician over here and will be coming over on a whv I understand on a whv its easier just to work as a trade assistant, was wondering if anyone out there is in the same boat or has been in the same position to give some tips 😊,, is it better to try and look for a job online before we arrive or just wing it and start handing out cvs there. I've read posts that there's different laws in Melbourne about trade assistants than else where, Has Melbourne got plenty of jobs going for trade assistants, or would it be easier to get a little bar job or something like that ? Thanks 😊
A WHV or student visa means that you are not moving to Australia, but that's by the by. The chances of getting a job before you arrive is slim to none, and getting work as a TA will not be easy either.

From your other thread, it seems that you only want to stay 6 months or so at this stage, so probably not worth the time and expense needed to get skills assessed to do electrical work. Maybe look at hospitality or retail (think you need a license / cert to serve alcohol so google it)
Old Aug 12th 2017, 2:11 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from UK to Melbourne as a electrician on a whv

As an unlicenced sparky in Melbourne. You will struggle to find work. You are also not in the union. Victoria one of the hardest places to find work as a sparky.