Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Electrician moving to Perth Australia

Electrician moving to Perth Australia

Old Mar 21st 2017, 2:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrician moving to Perth Australia

Originally Posted by SamJ86
I think ive more than learnt my lesson using the boards. Ive cancelled my visa anyway as theres no hope for anyone looking to emigrate best stay at home n get the kettle on cheers anyway
Bit drastic to throw all that cash down the drain. Wish I had several thousand quid to chuck at DIBP only to promptly turn round next minute and cancel without even trying to actually migrate.

WA is certainly having problems with employment at present but the other states are slightly better. There are shed loads of info on this forum about how to get an electrical licence in every state in the country, as well as an equivalent amount about nursing jobs/registration.

However emigration is not for the faint-hearted and if you give up because of a few realistic posts on an internet forum then I doubt you would have had a success of building a new life from scratch here with all the problems that go along with that challenge.

Last edited by Pollyana; Mar 21st 2017 at 4:08 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

SamJ86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Bit drastic to throw all that cash down the drain. Wish I had several thousand quid to chuck at DIBP only to promptly turn round next minute and cancel without even trying to actually migrate.

WA is certainly having problems with employment at present but the other states are slightly better. There are shed loads of info on this forum about how to get an electrical licence in every state in the country, as well as an equivalent amount about nursing jobs/registration.

However emigration is not for the faint-hearted and if you give up because of a few realistic posts on an internet forum then I doubt you would have ade a success of building a new life from scratch here with all the problems that go along with that challenge.
It was purely sarcastic to hopefully put an end to the thread.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 4:12 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

It was purely sarcastic to hopefully put an end to the thread.
After your previous post people will take you seriously.

The previous posters have really tried to help by telling you the realities of life in WA right now. No-one wants to say 'don't emigrate' but we do want people to see the reality, not the dream. If I had read more, and believed more, 15 years ago then I would now be happily living in Brighton instead of unhappily in Brisbane. Browse other threads, and take everything on board. And for details on electricians stuff, old.sparkles is the person in the know
Old Mar 21st 2017, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

SamJ86 is an unknown quantity at this point

I understand its not all rosey over in Oz by no means, I lived in Melbourne at a young age with my parents they struggled with a young family and it didnt work out, so I am under no illusions of how hard me and my wife are going to have to work and fight for a normal life. We really arent the type of people who think we are moving to Oz going to be working part time with a 6 bed house a pool and jetski etc we really dont have these wild ideas. We genuinely just want to give it a go in Perth/ surrounding area as tough as it maybe, we arent big city living types we dont want to live in melbourne, sydney or brisbane but will obviously try there if we need to as we do have friends in all those places. When people say why do you want to go to perth or WA its so isolated thats exactly the reason why we want to try it. Other posters may mean well but it doesnt come across like that at all, it comes across as dont come here we dont want you here, and i fully understand if deep down thats their agenda, but I put a specific question aimed at electricians and to be fair it was aimed with the intention of speaking to posters such as Old Sparkles who I have seen on other posts who have given good advice. Majority of the posters on this thread are <snip>

Anyway thanks for your input. Am sure there will be plenty more shots fired but Im not going to be checking the thread anymore so take it easy people lifes for living and emigrating isnt life or death like I said further up weve no ties no kids etc, we'll use it as a working holiday at worst travel the country either settle down or come back home. Laters

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 21st 2017 at 10:13 pm. Reason: Put your point across without belittling others pls.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 11:08 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

I understand its not all rosey over in Oz by no means, I lived in Melbourne at a young age with my parents they struggled with a young family and it didnt work out, so I am under no illusions of how hard me and my wife are going to have to work and fight for a normal life. We really arent the type of people who think we are moving to Oz going to be working part time with a 6 bed house a pool and jetski etc we really dont have these wild ideas. We genuinely just want to give it a go in Perth/ surrounding area as tough as it maybe, we arent big city living types we dont want to live in melbourne, sydney or brisbane but will obviously try there if we need to as we do have friends in all those places. When people say why do you want to go to perth or WA its so isolated thats exactly the reason why we want to try it. Other posters may mean well but it doesnt come across like that at all, it comes across as dont come here we dont want you here, and i fully understand if deep down thats their agenda, but I put a specific question aimed at electricians and to be fair it was aimed with the intention of speaking to posters such as Old Sparkles who I have seen on other posts who have given good advice. Majority of the posters on this thread are <snip>

Anyway thanks for your input. Am sure there will be plenty more shots fired but Im not going to be checking the thread anymore so take it easy people lifes for living and emigrating isnt life or death like I said further up weve no ties no kids etc, we'll use it as a working holiday at worst travel the country either settle down or come back home. Laters
My response, as pointed out, was not from sparkies point of view but insight nonetheless, my hubby runs an electrical wholesaler with 28yrs of experience, 99.9% of his customers are sparkies. And to use his words, "he hasn't seen it so bad for sparkies in his whole career"
So sorry if I sound negative, but being married to a bloke who knows most sparkies between Albany and Geraldton, I've seen him worry about blokes that were previously successful and now doing labouring jobs for pennies. No need to be rude in a reality check, given that this is an expat site, most of us are expats and know the stresses of moving in regards to expense, relationship etc.

Reality is, WA has the highest unemployment in the country at the moment, mining boom is over so everyone who worked at the mines are back looking for local employment, with already existing local contacts and still unsuccessful....

You remind me of a poster from past who didn't listen to this advice. Search brian.w, he researched everything but the job market.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 12:10 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teza

You remind me of a poster from past who didn't listen to this advice. Search brian.w, he researched everything but the job market.
Oh dear God; not Brian!!
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 12:42 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Oh dear God; not Brian!!
lol I did have to think twice before mentioning his name but given we're heading the same way of "I'll get a job, just tell me what I want to know", thought he was worth a mention
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 1:14 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Oh dear God; not Brian!!
we all tried so hard to help him over the years.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 1:33 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teza
lol I did have to think twice before mentioning his name but given we're heading the same way of "I'll get a job, just tell me what I want to know", thought he was worth a mention
I thought I had repressed those memories and now you've stirred them all up again.
Originally Posted by Pollyana
we all tried so hard to help him over the years.
Well, he did get here in the end, didn't he? Not for lack of trying to make everything way more complicated than it had to be, though.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

hdeziany is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

I`m about to get an app for Vetassess - Stage 2 - Skills Assessment electrician in Perth, but I`m straggle to find any sources for this test. wondering anyone can help me or advise any book, sample test or ...... for writing and practical assessment I need to prepare my self but don`t know how.

cheers.

Matt
Old Sep 14th 2017, 1:59 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hdeziany
Hi all,

I`m about to get an app for Vetassess - Stage 2 - Skills Assessment electrician in Perth, but I`m straggle to find any sources for this test. wondering anyone can help me or advise any book, sample test or ...... for writing and practical assessment I need to prepare my self but don`t know how.

cheers.

Matt
There should be some info in this part of the forum - it may just take some finding.

There is a search function if you check the top of the page (look in the peachy coloured bar, and use advanced search to limit it to just this section)