Electrician moving to Perth

Old Mar 31st 2019, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

Sparkyginger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrician moving to Perth

Hi all,

I'm looking for some info on moving to Oz an newly qualified electrician.

We are in the process of applying for permanent residency in Perth, with my wife being the lead applicant due to her higher level of academic qualification and length of service in her job.

I changed career a few years back and have been working as an electrician / improver for the last few years and have gained level 3 City and Guilds 2365, 17th Edition and 2391 inspection and testing. I am currently building my NVQ portfolio and will be taking AM2 shortly to gain approved electrician gold card status.

I am aware that I will effectively have to start again over in Australia but was hoping someone here may have gone through the process and would be able to provide some pointers.

Would gaining the NVQ in the UK before I go hold any more weight in Oz than my current level 3 City and Guilds? I have been advised by my training provided that thr NVQ is an internationally recognised qualification, but my reading around the subject suggests this doesn't apply in Oz?

Are UK qualifications taken in to account as a record of prior learning or is it a case of starting again from scratch?

I would be very grateful for any constructive advice.

Many Thanks

Old Apr 4th 2019, 2:21 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrician moving to Perth

Originally Posted by Sparkyginger
Hi all,

I'm looking for some info on moving to Oz an newly qualified electrician.

We are in the process of applying for permanent residency in Perth, with my wife being the lead applicant due to her higher level of academic qualification and length of service in her job.

I changed career a few years back and have been working as an electrician / improver for the last few years and have gained level 3 City and Guilds 2365, 17th Edition and 2391 inspection and testing. I am currently building my NVQ portfolio and will be taking AM2 shortly to gain approved electrician gold card status.

I am aware that I will effectively have to start again over in Australia but was hoping someone here may have gone through the process and would be able to provide some pointers.

Would gaining the NVQ in the UK before I go hold any more weight in Oz than my current level 3 City and Guilds? I have been advised by my training provided that thr NVQ is an internationally recognised qualification, but my reading around the subject suggests this doesn't apply in Oz?

Are UK qualifications taken in to account as a record of prior learning or is it a case of starting again from scratch?

I would be very grateful for any constructive advice.

Many Thanks
Working as an electrician is a licensed trade in Australia and there are very few paths to getting that license. Even if you are not using your skill for the visa, you would need a skills assessment to get a supervised license - and then need to do gap training and a period of supervised work to get a full license. The alternative would be to try and get an apprenticeship when here and try and get the time reduced using RPL (recognition of prior learning).