British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   Electrician moving to Melbourne (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/electrician-moving-melbourne-739778/)

thomasm89 Nov 22nd 2011 7:17 pm

Electrician moving to Melbourne

Hi there I am a 22 year old electrician from Glasgow looking to move to Melbourne. I am looking to see what I would have to do to allow me to continue working as an electrician once I moved there. Any help would be appreciated Thanks

derren7 Nov 26th 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Electrician moving to Melbourne

Originally Posted by thomasm89 (Post 9748658)
Hi there I am a 22 year old electrician from Glasgow looking to move to Melbourne. I am looking to see what I would have to do to allow me to continue working as an electrician once I moved there. Any help would be appreciated Thanks

Hi there,
Are you in the process of applying for a visa, thinking of applying, or do you already have one. In any event, there are loads of hurdles to jump. Let us know what stage of the game your at, and we can advise further.
Regards Derren

thomasm89 Nov 27th 2011 2:42 pm

At the moment I am only thinking of applying for me visa.
Thomas

derren7 Nov 27th 2011 5:41 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by thomasm89 (Post 9756335)
At the moment I am only thinking of applying for me visa.
Thomas

Hi Thomas,
If you want to migrate to OZ then the first thing you need to consider is whether you have enough points to be considered. See the attached document.
I would strongly urge you to contact a MARA registered migration agent as they can tell you from the outset what your chances are and initial consultations are usually free. Also bear in mind that from June or July next year some fundamental changes to the Australian immigration process will be taking effect.
I'm presuming that you will be the main applicant, so you will need to have your skills assessed for migration purposes by VETASSESS. This is a costly and time consuming process and there's loads of threads on this forum about it.
If you are eventually granted a visa then you will have to undertake gap training when you settle there. It varies from state to state but my understanding is that the Victorian licencing system for overseas trained sparks is the most stringent. It involves 12 months on the job training alongside doing the relevant courses at a TAFE (college) or a Registered Training Organisation.
Arthur, aka The_Pom_from_Aus who posts on this forum should be able to give you a heads up on the Victorian licencing process.
There are many hoops to jump through as you'll soon find out and you will be tearing your hair out at some points but it is necessary and will be worth it in the end if you do pursue it.
And you'll find this forum invaluable. God knows how I would have got on without it.
Regards Derren