Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

electrician looking to start out in perth?

electrician looking to start out in perth?

Old Jan 23rd 2011, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

stesav is an unknown quantity at this point
Default electrician looking to start out in perth?

hi all just wondering what happens when i land in perth .I have got my OSTR through vetasses i have been a spark for 19years, will firms take you on if you havent got your A grade licence yet and how long does it take to get it what is the best route to get my licence when i am there, is there any where i can look at their regs before i get there? Appreciate if anyone can help
Old Jan 24th 2011, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of
Default Re: electrician looking to start out in perth?

Originally Posted by stesav
hi all just wondering what happens when i land in perth .I have got my OSTR through vetasses i have been a spark for 19years, will firms take you on if you havent got your A grade licence yet and how long does it take to get it what is the best route to get my licence when i am there, is there any where i can look at their regs before i get there? Appreciate if anyone can help
Hi there,
Do the 2 week Energy Safety course in Perth. Check out the thread by Warren Thomas entitled 'WA Electrical Mechanic Certificate in 4 months,so easy'.
You can still apply with an OTSR as opposed to an ARTC.
Regards Derren
Old Jan 24th 2011, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice derren do you know if i can get any relevent books from anywhere that might be some help regarding oz regs.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Thanks for the advice derren do you know if i can get any relevent books from anywhere that might be some help regarding oz regs.
Unfortunately,I don't. I think there's s thread on here somewhere with that kind of info. But may be best to email Energy Safety who may supply all required literature as part of the course.
Regards Derren
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

thanks for the info, do you know if when i do the two week course and pass it hopefully. do you then get a A GRADE license or does that come further down the line. can i still apply to energy safe if i am still in sunny england.sorry to ask so many questions head done in just want to get things right
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

Warmapple is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the info, do you know if when i do the two week course and pass it hopefully. do you then get a A GRADE license or does that come further down the line. can i still apply to energy safe if i am still in sunny england.sorry to ask so many questions head done in just want to get things right
My understanding is that you have to do the 2 week course in Australia then if you pass, you apply to energy safe again at a cost of $300 and something.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Warmapple
My understanding is that you have to do the 2 week course in Australia then if you pass, you apply to energy safe again at a cost of $300 and something.
No need to be sorry for asking questions. That's what this forum ,and site, is all about. Energy safety will require you to attend a 2 week course at CET and upon completion would then be able to apply for your A grade licence.
If you haven't already done so then check out Warren Thomas' threadas it shows step by step how to get a WA A grade licence and provides all the necessary links and contact details.
As for applying from the UK , I'm not sure. Best to contact Energy Safety or CET in Perth via email.
Regards Derren
Old Feb 10th 2011, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

paulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nice

Please keep us informed as to how you get on with energy safety.I won't be heading to Perth until september at the earliest so curious to know if you can get it organised from UK. Thanks
Paul
Old Feb 11th 2011, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

will do then paul, keep you updated when i know more
Old Mar 18th 2011, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

alright paul, rang energy safe 4 weeks ago they told me to fill form in on web site and post to them with application fee. No probs with still being in the uk, just put on your uk address on the form, got confirmation today to go on electrical course in Perth and the letter is valid for 18 months so as soon as we get to Perth i can start college course which is 2weeks long then as long as i pass i get my licence.

Hope this helps you
Ste
Old Mar 19th 2011, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

deanc is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys

Can you guys tell me or do you have any info on whether you need a artc to do or get your a grade licence or will the vetassess assessment do fine because on the application form it states you can use a artc OR a ostr

cheers
Dean

Last edited by deanc; Mar 19th 2011 at 8:21 am.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

paulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nice

alright paul, rang energy safe 4 weeks ago they told me to fill form in on web site and post to them with application fee. No probs with still being in the uk, just put on your uk address on the form, got confirmation today to go on electrical course in Perth and the letter is valid for 18 months so as soon as we get to Perth i can start college course which is 2weeks long then as long as i pass i get my licence.

Hope this helps you
Ste
Nice one Ste, I'll get that sorted asap.

Originally Posted by deanc
Hi Guys

Can you guys tell me or do you have any info on whether you need a artc to do or get your a grade licence or will the vetassess assessment do fine because on the application form it states you can use a artc OR a ostr

cheers
Dean

Dean, in wa you have to apply to energy safety using either OSTR or ARTC to get approval to go on the two week course at CET balcatta campus. After you complete this, apply again to energy safety for your licence.

http://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/EnergySafety/
Old Mar 20th 2011, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Paul for the reply, but if i apply using my ostr would i have to do the gap training that i have heard about.

Regards
Dean
Old May 12th 2011, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by deanc
Thanks Paul for the reply, but if i apply using my ostr would i have to do the gap training that i have heard about.

Regards
Dean
Sorry I didn't reply sooner to this, I've been so busy booking flights and removal shippers I haven't been on here for a while.

Unless things have changed in the last 2 months the only gap training you have to do is a two week course at Balcatta electrical college. If you pass the course you can apply for your license. I'm not sure,but I think you need to do the course with an ARTC as well in WA.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=646976 is a good thread for info on this.

Paul
Old May 13th 2011, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

Hey Paul

I emailed energy safe the application form and rang them aswell and found out that the otsr is basically the same as the tra mechanic atrc and you can do the two week course with the otsr.
Cheers
Deanc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.