Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Electrician looking to move to Perth WA

Electrician looking to move to Perth WA

Old Jan 13th 2013, 11:58 am
Just Joined

Stuart_F_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Electrician looking to move to Perth WA

Hi there :-)
Myself and my family are seriously considering moving out to Australia.
Is there any certification etc. that I should have before moving out, with regards to working over there as an electrician ? If so what are they and how would I go about gaining these.

Thanx ( newbie to site ) lol

Old Jan 13th 2013, 6:16 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrician looking to move to Perth WA

Originally Posted by Stuart_F_
Hi there :-)
Myself and my family are seriously considering moving out to Australia.
Is there any certification etc. that I should have before moving out, with regards to working over there as an electrician ? If so what are they and how would I go about gaining these.

Thanx ( newbie to site ) lol

Hi Stuart,

If you want to move to Australia you will need to get your skills assessed. If you are from the UK, this will be either Vetassess or Vic Uni, but vic uni have some issues and Vetassess is the easiest and they will issue OTSR (offshore skills training record). You need this for the visa application, so if your wife / partner has skills on the list it may be easier for them to get skills assessed. Once in Aus, if you have OTSR you can apply for a restricted licencse, do some training and keep a log book, and after 12 months apply for an A license which you will need to work unsupervised. Or, if you don't need to work straight away, or came on partners skill, apply onshore in Aus for ARTC (Australian recognised training certificate), do wiring regs course and get A license as soon as passed regs course.

Of course - this is as things are now and that could all change.

Good luck
Old Jan 14th 2013, 9:47 am
Just Joined

Talking Re: Electrician looking to move to Perth WA

Thanks for the response

Sadly my wife's job as a community support worker is not on the list

how long does it roughly take for the vetasses ? is there alot of work etc required for this ?

As i see by your post , are you moving over there in April ?
Well done
I'm just back from perth , was over there visiting the brother in law. must say i fell in love with the place
Old Jan 14th 2013, 11:10 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the response

Sadly my wife's job as a community support worker is not on the list

how long does it roughly take for the vetasses ? is there alot of work etc required for this ?

As i see by your post , are you moving over there in April ?
Well done
I'm just back from perth , was over there visiting the brother in law. must say i fell in love with the place
Hi Stuart - are you young enough for a working holiday visa at all? If you are, might be worth going over and getting ARTC that way. Otherwise, have a look here http://www.vetassess.com.au/migrate_...ade_skills.cfm

Which should explain everything. Unfortunately I went the vic uni route - and that isn't going to be accepted for licensing as it stands (although it did get me my visa)
Old Jan 14th 2013, 11:57 am
Just Joined

well i'm 30 ... just not sure about the working holiday visa, wouldnt want to leave my wife and kids , not sure if it would be a good idea them coming with me either.
But at the end of the day i am desparate to go back ...lol

totally appreciate all the help you are giving me,,,,thank you very much :-)
Old Jan 14th 2013, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

Meant to also mention that I am about to begin the visa process.. I have booked tickets to DownUnder LIVE for February for myself and my wife to attend.
I was going to wait until then , to ask about which is the best visa agent to go with etc..
Since you have already done the visa process, is there any pointers you could also give me on this ?
you will be regretting replying to me ! LOL.......

Thanx again
Old Jan 14th 2013, 12:28 pm

Meant to also mention that I am about to begin the visa process.. I have booked tickets to DownUnder LIVE for February for myself and my wife to attend.
I was going to wait until then , to ask about which is the best visa agent to go with etc..
Since you have already done the visa process, is there any pointers you could also give me on this ?
you will be regretting replying to me ! LOL.......

Thanx again
We did an expo - wasn't really worth the money but if you want to give it a go...

I did the skills assessment and sorted Ielts for the points myself, then used an agent to do state sponsorship and file the visa app to make sure everything was complete and done on time. This reduce agent costs by about half, but not sure I would recommend the agency I used. If you have time, and everything is straight forward, there's no reason you can't do it yourself but the skills assessment is the first step. While you're waiting for that, if you need to do Ielts you can do that at the same time. Can't start visa process without skills assessment tho.

If you have any general visa questions you can post those in the immi section of the moving to australia board.

Good luck
Old Jan 14th 2013, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Lou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really nice

You don't have to use an agent, although most people who post on BE seem to. I didn't use one and neither did my mate who's just moved out here. Neither of us had any trouble.

Just have a good read through here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/

Good luck
Old Jan 14th 2013, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

Thanx
Old Jan 15th 2013, 8:55 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

If you have time, and everything is straight forward, there's no reason you can't do it yourself but the skills assessment is the first step.
Great advice. Its not difficult. You still need to do most the stuff yourself even if you use an agent. He/she just lets you know what else you need etc etc while taking your money.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 10:11 am
Just Joined

Cheers for that Jockstar

Was everything ok as far as having Svq level 3 , rather than city and guilds ?
I asked the head lecturer at the college I went to , and he said I should do the city and guilds
But surely having the SVQ is just the same thing ?
Old Feb 1st 2013, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

Gary79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi im arriving in Perth in April 2013 , Ive completed training wit Futureskills which ebtitke me to A Restricted Electrical License , which means i get a log book which has to be filled out over 12 months . Im just wondering will i find it difficult to find employment in Perth with this type of License , will it effect my rate of pay as well . Thank you for your advice and help
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

colinmaclec is an unknown quantity at this point

What is futureskills? I thought you had to have an ARTC or OSTR from vetassess to get any sort of license.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

GunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really nice

Originally Posted by colinmaclec
What is futureskills? I thought you had to have an ARTC or OSTR from vetassess to get any sort of license.
It seems that people in UK can go through future skills to be assessed to get visa instead of vetasses?!
Old Feb 16th 2013, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

colinmaclec is an unknown quantity at this point

I would be careful with that. Not so long ago people were using down under tradies and paying £3000 pounds for nothing basically as they still had to go to an RTO in australia. Unless its something new i only applied for my visa a year ago and vetassess was the only option

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.