Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Electrician looking to move to Aus what do I do?

Electrician looking to move to Aus what do I do?

Old Mar 12th 2013, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

jasn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrician looking to move to Aus what do I do?

Hi,

I have been working as an electrician for 7 years and have a family (wife and 2 kids) and am looking to move to Australia for a better life as im only 23 so would like to make the move whilst the kids are young.

I went to an Expo at the start of last year and was told I have enough points to go over on a skilled visa.

If anyone has the time to help I was wondering if there is a step by step guide to follow in order for me to make sure everything is done right and in the correct order! I understand about lodging an expression of interest and applying for the skilled visa but would very much like to see an order to do it in it.

Thanks
Old Mar 13th 2013, 3:43 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrician looking to move to Aus what do I do?

Originally Posted by jasn
Hi,

I have been working as an electrician for 7 years and have a family (wife and 2 kids) and am looking to move to Australia for a better life as im only 23 so would like to make the move whilst the kids are young.

I went to an Expo at the start of last year and was told I have enough points to go over on a skilled visa.

If anyone has the time to help I was wondering if there is a step by step guide to follow in order for me to make sure everything is done right and in the correct order! I understand about lodging an expression of interest and applying for the skilled visa but would very much like to see an order to do it in it.

Thanks

first i`d do an assessment via George Lombard or Allen Collet just so you know whats required and when

george -- http://www.austimmigration.com.au/site/

allen -- http://www.gomatilda.com/contact.cfm#appraisal
Old Mar 14th 2013, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

Lou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really nice

Go here mate: http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/

189 or 190 visa

Good luck
Old Mar 14th 2013, 7:24 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be cautious of overclaiming experience - 7 yrs at 23 - when did you do your training?
Old Mar 14th 2013, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

jasn is an unknown quantity at this point

I was an apprentice and at college at 16 so thats like my experiance background then have worked in numerous places such as butlins after that. The problem with the companies listed is they charge you an arm and a leg ontop of what looks to be expensive as moving a family.

I was thinking at present -

Complete Skillset for skills assessment
Lodge expression of interest
complete english test, crb and medical
Apply for visa (189)

Just wondering where things fit into it like getting a grade license and anything else I may have missed?

Thanks

Jas
Old Mar 14th 2013, 9:14 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasn
I was an apprentice and at college at 16 so thats like my experiance background then have worked in numerous places such as butlins after that. The problem with the companies listed is they charge you an arm and a leg ontop of what looks to be expensive as moving a family.

I was thinking at present -

Complete Skillset for skills assessment
Lodge expression of interest
complete english test, crb and medical
Apply for visa (189)

Just wondering where things fit into it like getting a grade license and anything else I may have missed?

Thanks

Jas
Hi Jas,

You can't include training as experience of being an electrician. If you did an apprenticeship, your experience would count from when you completed it. Allowing 4 years for training gives you 3 years experience as an electrician. You will need references and payslips to document all of your experience for your skills assessment. You do need to do this first.

After that, at 23 you get 25 points for age, 5 points for experience and probably 10 points for qualifications (hopefully). This means that you will also need to do IELTS, and score band 8. IELTS will also need to be done before submitting an EOI.

This explains everything - http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1119.pdf

and you also need Vetassess for skills assessment (http://www.vetassess.com.au/migrate_..._australia.cfm).

After submitting EOI, you get an invitation to apply for a visa. Only after this, and when asked to do so, do you need to do ACPO (police check) and medicals - they both are only valid for 12 months.

Hope this helps and good luck