Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Electrician looking for advice about if I need to retrain when I arrive in oz

Electrician looking for advice about if I need to retrain when I arrive in oz

Old Feb 3rd 2009, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

mdme123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Electrician looking for advice about if I need to retrain when I arrive in oz

Hi to anyone who reads this from snowy cold freezing england...
I am an Electrician who runs my own business. I have 16th and 17th edition wiring regs, Inspection & Testing (c&g 2391) and Portable appliance testing. But don't know if these are valid when we move to oz. Can any one advise please.
If I do need to retrain, can it be done in the UK before we travel. We have a while to wait yet, before we come over, we are waiting for my wife to have our second baby in july and then we are getting the ball rolling.

Again any advise would be greatly welcomed

Mike

Last edited by Dorothy; Feb 3rd 2009 at 9:12 pm. Reason: email addy removed. please don't put email address in the forum
Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

YOFFSBACK is just really niceYOFFSBACK is just really niceYOFFSBACK is just really niceYOFFSBACK is just really niceYOFFSBACK is just really niceYOFFSBACK is just really niceYOFFSBACK is just really niceYOFFSBACK is just really nice
Default Re: Electrician looking for advice about if I need to retrain when I arrive in oz

Originally Posted by mdme123
I am an Electrician who runs my own business. I have 16th and 17th edition wiring regs, Inspection & Testing (c&g 2391) and Portable appliance testing. But don't know if these are valid when we move to oz. Can any one advise please.
If I do need to retrain, can it be done in the UK before we travel. We have a while to wait yet, before we come over, we are waiting for my wife to have our second baby in july and then we are getting the ball rolling.

Mike
Mike,
17 TH EDITION (BS7671:2008) PAT TESTING, INSERVICE SAFETY INSPECTION AND TESTING OF ELECTRICAL EQUIP are exactly the same regs as australian reqs AS/NZS 3000:2007 (OUR 17TH EDITION) AND AS/NZS 3760: (OUR INSPECT + TESTING) These two are from what I can see are requirements for licencing I spoke to the queensland gov electrical helpline and they said it should not be a problem as long as the uk training is City and Guilds , you can down load all the AUSSIE regs ofF the web.
Hope it helps
Old Feb 10th 2009, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

bernieboy-sparks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electrician looking for advice about if I need to retrain when I arrive in oz

Hi

I'm in the same position as you in the UK running a business, but a bit further up the ladder. We are leaving the UK next month, heading for Sunshine Coast, QLD.

I was one of 6 people from the UK to do the first ever new system called 'Vetassess' where a TAFE representative from Oz comes over and assesses you on your experience. Oh what fun it was.... The process is very involved.
Once in Oz, you will be able to work as 'supervised' so you are not recognised as a class 'a' electrician. Very basically, you need to do 'gap training', do the AS wiring rules, and gain on the job experience (details logged) before you are fully qualified. This can take 6 months to a year I believe (don't be put off by this).

I see that you're not applying yet. What I would strongly recommend you do now as you are S/E is that you obtain some work references from some of your customers/clients. This will help when applying to TRA/Vetassess. Details should contain how long you have done work for the client (eg May 2005 to present, description of work completed (eg installed 3 phase dist board) etc.

Hope this helps, and good luck with the new addition to your family.

Bernie boy
Old Feb 10th 2009, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

paulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nice

Hi,
Every State has a slightly different criteria for getting the 'A' grade license.
Check out
http://www.britishexpats.com/forum/f...splay.php?f=97
Loads of info on here.
Paul
Old Feb 14th 2009, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

Nozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bernieboy-sparks
Hi

I'm in the same position as you in the UK running a business, but a bit further up the ladder. We are leaving the UK next month, heading for Sunshine Coast, QLD.

I was one of 6 people from the UK to do the first ever new system called 'Vetassess' where a TAFE representative from Oz comes over and assesses you on your experience. Oh what fun it was.... The process is very involved.
Once in Oz, you will be able to work as 'supervised' so you are not recognised as a class 'a' electrician. Very basically, you need to do 'gap training', do the AS wiring rules, and gain on the job experience (details logged) before you are fully qualified. This can take 6 months to a year I believe (don't be put off by this).

I see that you're not applying yet. What I would strongly recommend you do now as you are S/E is that you obtain some work references from some of your customers/clients. This will help when applying to TRA/Vetassess. Details should contain how long you have done work for the client (eg May 2005 to present, description of work completed (eg installed 3 phase dist board) etc.

Hope this helps, and good luck with the new addition to your family.

Bernie boy
you are spot on. been here 15 months now took me just under a year to get license. If you in queensland look up "qld" queensland electrical training run by chris willamson can recommend him to do your license with less hastle than tafe! he he is based in coopers plains brisbane south. hope this helps.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 7:38 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mdme123

Mike
hi mike

loads of info in the sparkies forum mate

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97
Old Feb 14th 2009, 9:44 am
Just Joined

bernieboy-sparks is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nozzys
you are spot on. been here 15 months now took me just under a year to get license. If you in queensland look up "qld" queensland electrical training run by chris willamson can recommend him to do your license with less hastle than tafe! he he is based in coopers plains brisbane south. hope this helps.
Hi thanks for that, will note it and probably go down this route. We are going to Sunshine Coast...... just got to find someone to work for.... (actually look forward to it, rather than spending evenings quoting, invoices, part p, expenses etc!!) ...... yippee!!!
You never know, might meet you some time??!!

Thanks for your help, Bernieboy
Old Feb 14th 2009, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

mdme123;

you have your city & guilds converted to Australian cert's here however you cannot work as a spark unless you get a supervised license this is very limiting you wont be allowed to work alone regardless of the experience or Quals you have from the UK.

Once here you get down to the Tafe (College in the uk) do a short course about 14 weeks x 1 night per week, then you apply to the electrical body in the state your living in to sit all there A class exams once you pass them you apply to the Energy Safe for the A class license, of course all costing you money while you do it all, then if you want to be self employed you must do the electrical contractors course again more money. as i say if your Self employed then without the contractors license your not allowed to advertise for work or actually do quoting for work.??? pathetic i know.

again self employed you must have $10,000,000 (10 million) insurance contractors license cost every year, A class license cost every 3 years.

all the best