Electrician licence help!

Old May 21st 2008, 2:42 am
Just Joined

wilsorinio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrician licence help!

I'm currently in NSW and looking to complete my electricians licence. I am not an electrician to trade, however I have been successfully assessed as an Electrical/Electronic Engineering Technologist by Engineers Australia.

I contacted the Department of Fair Trading and they advised me to complete the Electrical Wiring Course at TAFE. However when I contacted TAFE they said I needed to get a craft certificate in order to be accepted onto the course. Why should I have to fork out even more money to get acknowledged by another body when Engineers Australia have already assessed me?

Can anyone shed any light on this matter?

Is there an easier way of obtaining the NSW electrical licence?
Old May 22nd 2008, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrician licence help!

Originally Posted by wilsorinio
I'm currently in NSW and looking to complete my electricians licence. I am not an electrician to trade, however I have been successfully assessed as an Electrical/Electronic Engineering Technologist by Engineers Australia.

I contacted the Department of Fair Trading and they advised me to complete the Electrical Wiring Course at TAFE. However when I contacted TAFE they said I needed to get a craft certificate in order to be accepted onto the course. Why should I have to fork out even more money to get acknowledged by another body when Engineers Australia have already assessed me?

Can anyone shed any light on this matter?

Is there an easier way of obtaining the NSW electrical licence?
Electricians are assessed by the TRA, anyone assessed by Engineers Australia is an engineer and not an electrician basically. If you have electrical experience then you need to be assessed by the TRA, no other way around it I'm afraid. I know you may not want to spend any more money, but if you want a licence then that's what you need to do - this is why my OH went through the TRA and migrated as an Electrician rather than going through Engineers Australia and migrating that way.