Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Electrician hopefully brisbane bound.

Electrician hopefully brisbane bound.

Old Aug 13th 2009, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

Pom_to_be is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrician hopefully brisbane bound.

Hey people!
Sorry for posting another thread about the same thing. Just wondering if i could get some help and advice from the community.

I'm 24 year old electrician from the uk, I have done a C&G NVQ 3 with JIB. I have 6 years expierence (including apprentiship)
I am looking to start proceedings for a move to brisbane, but from what i read i need to apply to get an electrical mechanic license (artc) I think...
I heard you can't get a electrical mechanic license without becoming a full resisdent is that correct?

Also when do I start my application for the license after the Visa?
Would you reccomend going through a third party or doing it all myself?
Also is brisbane the best place to settle work wise?

On the whole i'm very confused on the order of things and where to start as there's many topics with different info.
Would really appreciate some help as im lost!

Thanks alot,
Mark
Old Aug 13th 2009, 7:37 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Electrician hopefully brisbane bound.

Hi Mark,

I am no expert on this subject but have been through the assesment process so can assist a little and get corrected by the experts later.

1st on what grounds are you applying for a visa ?/ your skills ? wife's ? etc etc

If its yours then you will need to get your trade assesed first.

2nd what type of electrician are you ???

This is a list of duties that the TRA consider a Special Class Electrician to carry out on a daily basis.
4311-13 Electrician (Special Class)
Services and repairs intricate and complex electrical or electronic circuitry.
Tasks Include:
diagnoses and repairs faults in electrical circuitry which is of a complex nature
analyses drawings and specifications to determine sequences and methods of operation
uses electrical and electronic test instruments to trace faults
dismantles units, repairs or replaces defective components and re-assembles them
test-operates and monitors the performance of systems, and adjusts settings
records causes of malfunctioning and action taken
may service and repair circuitry in prototype and other non-standard units
may service and repair components of electrical equipment powered by hydraulic, pneumatic or other non-electrical energy sourcesOR

4311-11
General Electrician
Electrical Fitter
Electrical Mechanic
Electrician

Installs, tests, connects, commissions, maintains and modifies electrical equipment, wiring and control systems.

Skill Level:
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Certificate III or higher qualification. Registration or licensing is required.

Tasks Include:
examines wiring diagrams and installation areas to plan layout of wiring systems
responds to break downs, diagnoses and repairs electrical systems and ancillary equipment
positions and installs electrical switchboards
installs sheathed cables
measures, cuts and installs plastic conduit and pulls wires through
splices, twists and solders wires and applies tape or terminal caps
connects installed wires to circuit breakers, transformers, timers and other electrical equipment
installs and connects items such as switches, lighting fixtures and earthing systems
connects electrical systems to power supply
tests continuity of circuit
may install, modify, maintain and repair electrical equipment such as storage heaters, water heaters, lighting, motors, electric signs or switchboards

3rd do it yourself its well cheaper and all the info is available on BE just needs a little searching and question asking everyone is more than willing to help

4th dont be in a hurry it takes forever I found the chasing previous employers for references the most difficult thing !

5th good luck and let me know if I can help anymore

HTH

Dougie
Old Aug 13th 2009, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

Hi dougie, thanks for you reply.

I would almost certainly be classed under the catagory.
4311-11
Electrical Mechanic

Well i was looking to go over and live there for a few years and work but it seems you can't become "licensed" unless your a resisident and not on a work and travel visa. Thinking about it though, the full (175 i think?) visa seems the better option.

I would be applying based on my skills.

How long does it usually take for people get get assessed and recieve there visa's and actually get there on average?

Thanks alot for the speedy reply.

Mark
Old Aug 13th 2009, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

agillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to all

Hi Mark,

You don't need to be a resident to get your electrical licence. I'm currently on a working holiday visa and I've got it. Have a look at the info on Peer on the forum. Its the easiest way of doing it. As for Brisbane I've been here for a few months and work isn't that easy to find. I've just been getting a few days here and there with an agency so I'm probably going back to Perth next week where there is work.

Adrian
Old Aug 16th 2009, 3:05 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

I have 6 years expierence
I'm pretty sure you have to prove 7 years of being in the trade. Or thats how it used to be.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 10:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jockstar
I'm pretty sure you have to prove 7 years of being in the trade. Or thats how it used to be.
I thought you had to have 7 years trade expierence if you didn't do an apprentiship as such?
Old Aug 16th 2009, 11:40 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_to_be
I thought you had to have 7 years trade expierence if you didn't do an apprentiship as such?
I know when i appplied that i had to prove at least 7 years of being in the trade. This included my apprenticeship. But ii'm suure the experts on here will be able to confirm.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

if you have done an apprenticeship then its 4 years post training if not then 7 years post training.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Huggkat is just really niceHuggkat is just really niceHuggkat is just really niceHuggkat is just really niceHuggkat is just really niceHuggkat is just really niceHuggkat is just really niceHuggkat is just really niceHuggkat is just really nice

How long does it usually take for people get get assessed and recieve there visa's and actually get there on average?

Mark

Hi Mark,

My husband and I moved out to Brisbane earlier in the year. We came on a 175 visa. The whole process from starting to apply and getting visa took 11 months. It then took us a further 8 months before we moved out (but we had a house to sell).

Kat
Old Sep 24th 2009, 6:31 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Hey people!
Sorry for posting another thread about the same thing. Just wondering if i could get some help and advice from the community.

I'm 24 year old electrician from the uk, I have done a C&G NVQ 3 with JIB. I have 6 years expierence (including apprentiship)
I am looking to start proceedings for a move to brisbane, but from what i read i need to apply to get an electrical mechanic license (artc) I think...
I heard you can't get a electrical mechanic license without becoming a full resisdent is that correct?

Also when do I start my application for the license after the Visa?
Would you reccomend going through a third party or doing it all myself?
Also is brisbane the best place to settle work wise?

On the whole i'm very confused on the order of things and where to start as there's many topics with different info.
Would really appreciate some help as im lost!

Thanks alot,
Mark
sorry mate but you cannot apply for a visa via the tra / artc route as as a general sparkie from the UK

http://www.vetassess.com.au/index.cfm?menu=1.3a

your going to have to go to vettesses and with all the recent changes in skillled visa`s i`d personnly recommend that you speak to some one like george lombard or go matilda if only for the first assessmnet to see what visa`s are available

http://www.gomatilda.com/contact.cfm#appraisal

http://austimmigration.com.au/site/?q=node/6

if you do decide to proceed there are loads of helpful people on this site that will help with evidence, forms etc

good luck

regards steve