Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Electrician Down Under (i Wish)

Electrician Down Under (i Wish)

Old Jul 14th 2005, 8:38 am
Just Joined

ANTMAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Electrician Down Under (i Wish)

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]HI ALL (NEW TO THIS)
I HAVE BEEN TO Perth 10 YEARS AGO (WE EMIGRATED) BUT HAD TO RETURN TO UK DUE TO FAMILY DISASTER, I NOW FIND MYSELF WITH THE MEANS AND DESIRE TO RETURN. I AM AN ELECTRICAL ENGINEER (MANAGER AT THE MOMENT) I HAVE LET MY RESIDENTS VISA LAPS AND UNDERSTAND YOU CAN GET A RESIDENTS RETURN VISA , DOSE ANY ONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS ???? ALSO I THINK IT WOULD BE WISE TO GET EITHER EMPLOYMENT BE FOR APPLYING OR A LETTER OF INTEREST OFFERING AN INTERVIEW AT LEAST. I HAVE LOOKED AT THE RECRUITMENT SITES AND IT SEEMS A BIT OF A MIND FIELD CAN ANY ONE HELP ???

ANTMAN
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

lilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrician Down Under (i Wish)

Originally Posted by ANTMAN
I HAVE BEEN TO Perth 10 YEARS AGO (WE EMIGRATED) BUT HAD TO RETURN TO UK DUE TO FAMILY DISASTER, I NOW FIND MYSELF WITH THE MEANS AND DESIRE TO RETURN. I AM AN ELECTRICAL ENGINEER (MANAGER AT THE MOMENT) I HAVE LET MY RESIDENTS VISA LAPS AND UNDERSTAND YOU CAN GET A RESIDENTS RETURN VISA , DOSE ANY ONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS ???? ALSO I THINK IT WOULD BE WISE TO GET EITHER EMPLOYMENT BE FOR APPLYING OR A LETTER OF INTEREST OFFERING AN INTERVIEW AT LEAST. I HAVE LOOKED AT THE RECRUITMENT SITES AND IT SEEMS A BIT OF A MIND FIELD CAN ANY ONE HELP ???

ANTMAN
try posting in the emmigration forum, also, it might be worth putting a resume on www.seek.com.au
There are loads of jobs there, and the resume can get you headhunted-if you tick the right box. I've actually just sent off a couple of "cold call" e-mails to companies asking for electricians and the replies, while not a binding job offer, did intimate that if i have the right quals. they could help with the migration process.
Good Luck
Old Jun 18th 2006, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

You What John has a brilliant futureYou What John has a brilliant futureYou What John has a brilliant futureYou What John has a brilliant futureYou What John has a brilliant futureYou What John has a brilliant futureYou What John has a brilliant future

ANTMAN
Find a quality recruiter and pay him to find you a job.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 6:49 pm
s**t rolls down hill

sparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud of

ANTMAN
as i understand it you should have got the residents return visa before you left
Old Jul 18th 2006, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

JosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by You What John
Find a quality recruiter and pay him to find you a job.
I've heard about this before - paying someone to find a job for you - it's not something i've ever come across in the UK. Are you able to recommend any and/or tell me a bit how it all works? My OH is an electrician and we're nearly at the end of our visa application so i'm trying to get as much info as possible!

JosieJ
Old Jul 20th 2006, 4:35 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JosieJ
I've heard about this before - paying someone to find a job for you - it's not something i've ever come across in the UK. Are you able to recommend any and/or tell me a bit how it all works? My OH is an electrician and we're nearly at the end of our visa application so i'm trying to get as much info as possible!

JosieJ
have you looked at licencing ?????
Old Jul 20th 2006, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

JosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud of

Hi

Yes - we visited energysafe in perth whilst we were there in april. As Steve hasn't done an apprenticeship, he needs to go through the TRA. I have been sent their application form, but have to wait for the visa to be granted as need to send this with the form. We'll start the process off before we go to try and cut down the time it takes when we arrive in perth. It seems a mine field - i just hope he's successful! It'll drive me to !!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 21st 2006, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

You What John has a brilliant futureYou What John has a brilliant futureYou What John has a brilliant futureYou What John has a brilliant futureYou What John has a brilliant futureYou What John has a brilliant futureYou What John has a brilliant future

JosieJ
Recruiters usually work with professionals who have degrees, that way they can negotiate your salary and they get a percentage commission of the salary they negotiate for you, if you are looking for an hourly wage job you might find it tough.

Here is a tip for you, write your resume (cv) using MS word, at the bottom of the last page of your resume, change the text to WHITE, and start typing key words that are relevant to what you are looking for, with it being white text on a white page you will not be able to read anything so be sure to spell everything correctly.

Now submit your resume on www.monster.com or www.monster.co.uk

Recruiters will search all of the resumes on monster.com using key words for the kind of people they are looking for, if you do this it will not be long before a recruiter contacts you.

Last edited by You What John; Jul 21st 2006 at 12:45 am.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

supersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to all
Smile Re: Electrician Down Under (i Wish)

Hi

Yes - we visited energysafe in perth whilst we were there in april. As Steve hasn't done an apprenticeship, he needs to go through the TRA. I have been sent their application form, but have to wait for the visa to be granted as need to send this with the form. We'll start the process off before we go to try and cut down the time it takes when we arrive in perth. It seems a mine field - i just hope he's successful! It'll drive me to !!!!!!!!!!!
Hi Josie and all ,I just rang them and they said they are booking september dates in now,there is a about a 3 month waiting list to do the long exam,and the energy board doesn't meet weekly,it could be monthly,the lady didnt know but she said it could take a couple of months to get it before them,remember that you have to get approval to do the exams from them in the first place so that twice you have to wait.John is going to send his stuff in too while we are still here.
Cheers
Lorri