Best way to get licensed

Old Nov 8th 2015, 7:41 am
Just Joined

LozUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best way to get licensed

Hello, I wrote on here a little while back for advise. I am currently living in Sydney and have been working as a unlicensed electrician for 6 months. I'm fully licenced in the uk. I have applied for my defacto visa as my girlfriend lives over here so time isn't a big deal for me but I would like to get lisensed. I have no idea where to start and what the best route would be to go down. Would anyone be able to recommend what to do. I've looked through the forum but most people aren't in my situation and have working holiday visas, thanks
Old Nov 13th 2015, 4:35 am
Just Joined

rubygilmore is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best way to get licensed

You have to join an apprenticeship program and here's why. While in the field you'll only learn "how to" do electrical job and "how to" use electric supplies. Ways to put in a light, how to set up a plug etc. You hardly ever educate yourself on the complex side of the electrical field. As an example Wire Sizing, Motor calculations, what size service does this house will need, and even more. These are the basic sort of skills you be taught in a class room setting. In the field there's simply not enough time for you to teach these matters since most job is on a schedule to get done. Look up on the IEC for Electrical Contractors who take part in IEC.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 13th 2015 at 9:49 am. Reason: Spammy link removed
Old Dec 7th 2015, 9:03 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rubygilmore
You have to join an apprenticeship program and here's why. While in the field you'll only learn "how to" do electrical job and "how to" use electric supplies. Ways to put in a light, how to set up a plug etc. You hardly ever educate yourself on the complex side of the electrical field. As an example Wire Sizing, Motor calculations, what size service does this house will need, and even more. These are the basic sort of skills you be taught in a class room setting. In the field there's simply not enough time for you to teach these matters since most job is on a schedule to get done. Look up on the IEC for Electrical Contractors who take part in IEC.

I'm sorry but this is not true. There are a few ways top go to get licenced. The first most direct and less cost way(but usually longer) is TAFE. I believe you can do night school 2 nights a week i think. Or PEER do correspondence where you work through the book and when ready fly down to SA and complete a week course. Hope this helps.
Old Dec 8th 2015, 7:41 am
Just Joined

outlawtorn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LozUK
Hello, I wrote on here a little while back for advise. I am currently living in Sydney and have been working as a unlicensed electrician for 6 months. I'm fully licenced in the uk. I have applied for my defacto visa as my girlfriend lives over here so time isn't a big deal for me but I would like to get lisensed. I have no idea where to start and what the best route would be to go down. Would anyone be able to recommend what to do. I've looked through the forum but most people aren't in my situation and have working holiday visas, thanks
Hi, If you have uk qualifications you can apply to have your skills assessed through Vetassess or victoria univercity. Or alternatively there is RPL process but i would avoid this route. These are the only ways available now to get skills recognised here all other routes have been closed. Then get provisional license and do gap training with e-profiling. Whole process will take you a over a year. Depending on your years and experience as an electrician in the UK.
Old Dec 8th 2015, 7:44 am
Just Joined

outlawtorn is an unknown quantity at this point

I was also in a similar situation as you. Came over on a working holdiay got a job working unlicensed and then applied for sponsorship visa. I continued woking for 2 years and just sat my skills assessment to get licensed as i need it for my permenant visa.
Old Dec 9th 2015, 1:22 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jockstar
I'm sorry but this is not true. There are a few ways top go to get licenced. The first most direct and less cost way(but usually longer) is TAFE. I believe you can do night school 2 nights a week i think. Or PEER do correspondence where you work through the book and when ready fly down to SA and complete a week course. Hope this helps.
I think the PEER route would only work if you already have either ARTC (no longer available) or OTSR, although a call to them wouldn't harm.