Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

New life in Oz. Electrician certs transfer

New life in Oz. Electrician certs transfer

Old Feb 9th 2017, 10:04 am
Just Joined

Lee131 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New life in Oz. Electrician certs transfer

Hi. This is my 1st post. I am an electrician with over 10 years experience with JIB card and 17th edition. We are looking in to moving to Oz, I am struggling to find any info on exactly what I'm looking for. I'm looking to find out if I can transfer my qualifications whilst in the UK. Or I need to be in oz to do the gap assessment whilst working as a trade assistant? I read that it can be done here? The problem is If im working as a trade assistant will the wage be enough as i will be the only earner, as my wife is a casual worker in cafes etc. As I understand that the rent is quite high. We are open to locations depending on where the work is we will settle although my cousin lives in Perth that would be preferred.
Old Feb 9th 2017, 7:39 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New life in Oz. Electrician certs transfer

Originally Posted by Lee131
Hi. This is my 1st post. I am an electrician with over 10 years experience with JIB card and 17th edition. We are looking in to moving to Oz, I am struggling to find any info on exactly what I'm looking for. I'm looking to find out if I can transfer my qualifications whilst in the UK. Or I need to be in oz to do the gap assessment whilst working as a trade assistant? I read that it can be done here? The problem is If im working as a trade assistant will the wage be enough as i will be the only earner, as my wife is a casual worker in cafes etc. As I understand that the rent is quite high. We are open to locations depending on where the work is we will settle although my cousin lives in Perth that would be preferred.
If you are planning on moving to Australia, what visa are you looking at? If it is a skills visa based on your own skills then you need to be looking at getting your skills assessed by Vetassess, Future Skills or Victoria University.

You also need to check that you can meet the points requirement of a skills visa beaing in mind that points are only awarded for skilled experience.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 6:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
If you are planning on moving to Australia, what visa are you looking at? If it is a skills visa based on your own skills then you need to be looking at getting your skills assessed by Vetassess, Future Skills or Victoria University.

You also need to check that you can meet the points requirement of a skills visa beaing in mind that points are only awarded for skilled experience.
Thank you for the reply. We haven't looked in to which visa yet but I have done a few visa assessments online and passed those and just awaiting a call back. Can I do all the assessments before I go so I have the license when I get there ?
Old Feb 11th 2017, 8:50 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the reply. We haven't looked in to which visa yet but I have done a few visa assessments online and passed those and just awaiting a call back. Can I do all the assessments before I go so I have the license when I get there ?
There is no 'going' without the visa. some of these online assessments are just to hook you and your money so be careful. Check to see if they have a MARA registration.

You will not be able to do all the assessments there unfortunately. Skills assessments for a skilled visa (189 is skilled independent, 190 is skilled state sponsored, 489 is skilled regionally sponsored / family sponsored) can be done with Vetassess, Future Skills or Victoria University and are made up of a self assessment of skills using Tradeset, qualifications and experience check, and practical assessment. Skills assessment costs around $2200 AUD, plus some associated costs (postage, travel to practical, etc)

If you think you can pass the skills assessment, then you need to check the DIBP (Department of Immigration and Border Protection - https://www.border.gov.au/) website to see if you can meet the points criteria of a skilled visa (60 points minimum required from age, qualification, skilled experience, English, etc).

If you do proceed and pass the skills assessment, you would be issued an OTSR that would enable you to sign up for gap training, provisional licensing, etc. Gaining a full license can take some time as you will need a period of supervised employment in Australia. The exact form that gap training takes / requirements to be met vary with state.
Old Feb 15th 2017, 6:14 am
Just Joined

Okay thank you for the advice. We are going to a down under show in London.

Do you know if I would have to be employed to gain the Gap experience?
Old Feb 15th 2017, 6:34 am

Okay thank you for the advice. We are going to a down under show in London.

Do you know if I would have to be employed to gain the Gap experience?
Yes - you need to produce a log book / portfolio of work experience across a variety of work. (At least here in SA )
Old Feb 21st 2017, 6:33 am
Just Joined

Will I need to be employed by a company or if I worked self employed via an agency would that be okay?

Does anyone know what areas are the best for work and if things are slowing down in construction?
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 9:57 pm

Will I need to be employed by a company or if I worked self employed via an agency would that be okay?

Does anyone know what areas are the best for work and if things are slowing down in construction?
NSW I think allows unlicensed sparks, and still have a lot of work going on (I'm led to believe - not my area).

Until you get a full workers license, you are supposed to be supervised. In some states this is direct supervision like an apprentice, and in others, this may be more relaxed. Working for yourself requires a contractors license which is extra to a workers license, but as I don't work in construction I don't know all the nuances when it comes to working on a construction site.
Old May 2nd 2017, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

Crg316 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey mate. I used a agent to do my visa application. Agency was called Getme2oz.com. speak to Katherine she will guide you through everything. Made the processes so much easier. Was definitely best money ever spent.