Electrician - Australia

Old Oct 31st 2011, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

BonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really nice
Lightbulb Electrician - Australia

Hi

I need some advise from electricians already working in Australia.
My OH and I got were granted our 175 visa in August and would like to make the move to Aus next year. He's started looking at jobs online but they all ask for a Qld electrical license, and also mention blue, white and green cards.

Can someone already in this industy tell me what these cards are and how you get them?

From my understanding my OH will have to retrain at college to obtain the QLD license however can still work for a leccy company while training for it (which takes 12 months??) so can anyone point us in the right direction and tell us if there is a jobs website anyone knows of that take leccys on who have just moved from the UK and dont hold this license yet.

All this is really confusing us so if someone who knows what there talking about can help i'd be v.grateful

Thanks
Old Oct 31st 2011, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

BonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really nice
Default Re: Electrician - Australia

Hi

I forgot to say ... we're heading to Queensland and he went through the vetassess route.....

Can he apply for his license in the UK if we can get paperwork etc sent to family in Brisbane?
Old Oct 31st 2011, 8:10 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BonnieH View Post
Hi

I forgot to say ... we're heading to Queensland and he went through the vetassess route.....

Can he apply for his license in the UK if we can get paperwork etc sent to family in Brisbane?
there are two ways you can proceed
one via a tafe ( college) or two via a RTO ( registerd training organistion )

tafe would probably be cheaper but longer as they usually start there courses in march and finish in oct but if you arrive say june they wouldnt let you enroll untill the next one started the year after,

rto`s run these course via distance learning so you could do the theory side whilat still in the uk but you`d need to work on australian installations ands get the work signedff by a licensed spark before a licence was issued,

have a read of my other thread on the same subject
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=736960
then come back and ask for whatever you need

regards steve
Old Oct 31st 2011, 8:22 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

this is also worth a quick look

http://www.sd.qld.gov.au/dsdweb/htdocs/slol/

click on single licence search and imput what your after and it shows any relevant qld gov information / licening requirements,
it works for all types of licences issued in qld and i mean all, ive just founmd out the licencing requirements for running a brothel here lol

Last edited by steve`o; Oct 31st 2011 at 8:24 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 1:29 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I need some advise from electricians already working in Australia.
My OH and I got were granted our 175 visa in August and would like to make the move to Aus next year. He's started looking at jobs online but they all ask for a Qld electrical license, and also mention blue, white and green cards.

Can someone already in this industy tell me what these cards are and how you get them?

From my understanding my OH will have to retrain at college to obtain the QLD license however can still work for a leccy company while training for it (which takes 12 months??) so can anyone point us in the right direction and tell us if there is a jobs website anyone knows of that take leccys on who have just moved from the UK and dont hold this license yet.

All this is really confusing us so if someone who knows what there talking about can help i'd be v.grateful

Thanks
To answer your other question. The green card now white card but called blue card in QLD is basically an OHS card to allow you work on site. It's a one day course and costs around $75 ish. Been a while since I done it. You need this card to work on building sites.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

Deyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jockstar View Post
To answer your other question. The green card now white card but called blue card in QLD is basically an OHS card to allow you work on site. It's a one day course and costs around $75 ish. Been a while since I done it. You need this card to work on building sites.
It can be done online in a few hours and paid by paypal or credit card. I've done it a month ago for $55.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Thank you so much for everyones msgs we'll take a look at all the links you sent :-)

Also does anyone know about The OTSR issued by Vetassess my OH passed the practical in April 09 but never receieved a letter or any documentation to say he passed?? Are you supposed to receieve anything?? If not what do you need to show to TAFE to prove you passed it?

Thanks
Old Nov 1st 2011, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

elect42 is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much for everyones msgs we'll take a look at all the links you sent :-)

Also does anyone know about The OTSR issued by Vetassess my OH passed the practical in April 09 but never receieved a letter or any documentation to say he passed?? Are you supposed to receieve anything?? If not what do you need to show to TAFE to prove you passed it?

Thanks

What you have not got yet, you receive it within six weeks after passing, OSTR certificate and competency profile assessment certificate.
You also get to see details and pass online in theyre site, detailing letter etc sent. I did it last christmas had it within 6 six like my agent said.

Personally, after what I have read id be looking into getting a ARTC certificate in electrical mechanic.

Vetassess will get you in but the long way. ARTC seems to speed up process for electrical license abit quicker, seems to in Perth, could be for all states! Worth looking into!
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by elect42 View Post
What you have not got yet, you receive it within six weeks after passing, OSTR certificate and competency profile assessment certificate.
You also get to see details and pass online in theyre site, detailing letter etc sent. I did it last christmas had it within 6 six like my agent said.

Personally, after what I have read id be looking into getting a ARTC certificate in electrical mechanic.

Vetassess will get you in but the long way. ARTC seems to speed up process for electrical license abit quicker, seems to in Perth, could be for all states! Worth looking into!

Hi..... nope we never received anything when he passed I only found out he passed when we logged on to his profile but as we were going through an agent I thought if any documentation was sent to them they would of forwarded it on to us but obviously that hasn't happened. Either Vetassess hasn't sent anything or our agent has forgot to forward it onto us.... I sometimes ask myself why we bothered paying an agent!!

Thanks for clearing that up at least I know he is supposed to have an OTSR certificate.... i'll be emailing the agent and vetassess now!!

So with the ARTC what is it that he actually has to do? I've been reading loads of websites and theres so much info for this license and that license my head is about to explode lol..... so am I right in thinking he can only apply for this license once we are living over there? also how long does it take to get and how much does it all cost? Sorry if I am sounding a little bit dim but these aussies don't make it simple do they with so many licenses and routes to go down lol