Electrican making the move!

Old Nov 15th 2011, 10:14 am
Just Joined

kwelham is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrican making the move!

Hi All,

My partner is an Electrician and we are moving over to WA in January 2012. He has just had his permit come through so when we get out there he can work, do on the job training and then apply for his licence.

Has anyone else been through this process? Is the GAP training a full year? Or can you apply for licence early if you get up to speed with the Australia rules and regs?

Any help would be appreciated.

Keri
Old Nov 26th 2011, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Electrican making the move!

Originally Posted by kwelham
Hi All,

My partner is an Electrician and we are moving over to WA in January 2012. He has just had his permit come through so when we get out there he can work, do on the job training and then apply for his licence.

Has anyone else been through this process? Is the GAP training a full year? Or can you apply for licence early if you get up to speed with the Australia rules and regs?

Any help would be appreciated.

Keri
Hi there,
It used to be the case, up until recently, that you could do a 2week course at CET in Perth and upon successful completion you could apply for a full licence.
It appears from several recent posts that you are now required to complete on the job gap training also, although the most recent post I've read indicates that they may have reverted back to their old system. So it's still not clear what the requirements are.
The only people that can give you a clear are the folks at Energy Safety who issue the licences.
http://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/EnergySafety/
Regards Derren