Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

British electrician looking to move to canada

British electrician looking to move to canada

Old Aug 21st 2017, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

Chris1973 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British electrician looking to move to canada

Hi im a british jib electrician with 20 yrs experience with full apprentiship looking for any help/ guidence with emmigrating to canada
Old Aug 21st 2017, 6:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British electrician looking to move to canada

Hi, and welcome to BE.

If you're after advice with the electrician side of things then you're in the right place. Any visa related questions should be placed in the immi section of the Canada forum, and any lifestyle ones (i.e. how to find a job, etc) are best placed in the main Canada forums.

But questions about working in Canada as an electrician are best here, so fire away (the more specific the questions the better), and I'm sure you'll get some great advice.

HTH and good luck with it.
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, and welcome to BE.

If you're after advice with the electrician side of things then you're in the right place. Any visa related questions should be placed in the immi section of the Canada forum, and any lifestyle ones (i.e. how to find a job, etc) are best placed in the main Canada forums.

But questions about working in Canada as an electrician are best here, so fire away (the more specific the questions the better), and I'm sure you'll get some great advice.

HTH and good luck with it.
Thanks for the advice with where to post .i know il have to sit some exams with regards to getting qualified over there ( red seal , codes etc ) its more about getting the foot in the door and working while getting experience while i do the exams
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 11:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris1973
Thanks for the advice with where to post .i know il have to sit some exams with regards to getting qualified over there ( red seal , codes etc ) its more about getting the foot in the door and working while getting experience while i do the exams
Do you already have the right to work in Canada? PR or an open work permit?

If not, then you wouldn't be likely to find an employer prepared to pay $1000, go through all the hassle/paperwork of hiring you, and wait several months for you to start work, unless you already have you 'Red Seal' imo. You can't work as an electrician without it anyway, and sponsorship for what would essentially be an apprentice position would be unlikely I think.

So I'd start with getting your provincial certification, and hopefully then you'll be more attractive to employers and they'll be much more likely to sponsor you.

Electricians will no doubt be along to help you out with info on passing the exams, and a search of the Canada forums should bring up lots of relevant threads too.

Best of luck.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Do you already have the right to work in Canada? PR or an open work permit?

If not, then you wouldn't be likely to find an employer prepared to pay $1000, go through all the hassle/paperwork of hiring you, and wait several months for you to start work, unless you already have you 'Red Seal' imo. You can't work as an electrician without it anyway, and sponsorship for what would essentially be an apprentice position would be unlikely I think.

So I'd start with getting your provincial certification, and hopefully then you'll be more attractive to employers and they'll be much more likely to sponsor you.

Electricians will no doubt be along to help you out with info on passing the exams, and a search of the Canada forums should bring up lots of relevant threads too.

Best of luck.
Appreciate the advice
Old Aug 26th 2017, 2:22 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure we have many Canadian electricians passing this way - I would maybe post in the main Canadian section as well.
Old Nov 11th 2018, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

Luisec143 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi Chris1973, any luck with your move to Canada? My husband is an electrician and would love to know how your getting on.
thanks